8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 11:26 AM by rob day

drop box and indesign

mwoolls

Im trying to open an indesign file from drop box, and getting the message that the file is missing. Others have no problem with these files. Help?

I'm using Windows 8.1.

Thanks

• 1. Re: drop box and indesign
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't open the file in Dropbox. Copy the file from Dropbox to your hard drive, then open the file.

• 2. Re: drop box and indesign
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure the file is synced properly? Are you opening from your dropbox folder on your harddrive or trying to open it from the website?

• 3. Re: drop box and indesign
              mwoolls Level 1

I don’t know how to tell if file is synced properly, or what that means.

I am trying to open the file from Dropbox. I can go through the motions of saving and opening the file, but still get the message that doc is missing. I can open other files from db in indesign with no problem.

Thank you

Mary Woolls

Technical Writer, Editor, and Graphic Designer

Stafford, VA

(540) 429-1667

• 4. Re: drop box and indesign
                mwoolls Level 1

Still struggling with this problem. Documens show up in InDesign with a red question mark, messages say file is missing or cannot be found.

Help please.

• 5. Re: drop box and indesign
                  mwoolls Level 1

Just noticed that I can open InDesign files, but not Indesign Book files.

Does this detail help?

• 6. Re: drop box and indesign
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The links panel will show you the path to the missing link. Any users that have access to the shared dropbox folder on your computer could delete the links from theirs:

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 12.34.31 PM.png

• 7. Re: drop box and indesign

I am trying to open the file from Dropbox.

To collaborate on a project with remote users via Dropbox you have to share a folder inside of the local Dropbox folder. So on OSX it works like this:

Make a folder inside of your local Dropbox folder—the default  Dropbox folder is at the top level of your user folder.

Make sure the Dropbox application is running.

Control or right-click the folder you want to share and choose Share Folder. That will open a dialog in your browser where you can enter the email address of the user you want to share with. You have to know the email they use with their Dropbox account.

When the invitation is accepted the folder and contents will be duplicated and sync'd in their local dropbox folder. Now you both have read write access to the folder and its contents—you never have to go the the Dropbox webpage to make edits. Any linked files you add to the layout have to be in the shared folder or their status will show as missing to the other users.

In other words if you and I share an ID file in a dropbox folder, I open the layout and place a linked file from somewhere else on my drive you'll see it as missing.

Message was edited by: Rob Day

• 8. Re: drop box and indesign

Sync'd folders have a check mark on there icon. You can see Archive is sync'd but not shared

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 2.24.44 PM.png