17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2014 1:03 PM by Stephen Barrante RSS

How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Stephen Barrante Community Member

Hi have several dozen clips from two cameras. I want to drag all of camera A into one Track, and all of camera B into another track. A multi-camera sequence would be fine, but unfortunately it ends up treating each clip as a separate track and I want Cam-A as Track 1 and Cam-B as track two so that ultimately I'm only having to deal with TWO cameras. I also need to sync by TimeCode when I add them to the sequence.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence
          J. Simon Community Member

You'll have to do the syncing manually.  That's why it's a good idea to keep all cameras rolling until the event is over, so you only have to sync once.

• 2. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

I would think that I can either use Merge or Synchronize once the clips are in the timeline, rather than being forced to use multi-cam?

• 3. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Don't you want multicam?  The two cameras aren't covering the same 'event'.

• 4. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the confusion. I do not want this setup as a multi-cam because at certain points the two cameras are not covering the same content.

If it simplifies things, it would be great to drop all of camera A into a new sequence and then all of the off camera audio into the audio tracks, select and hit synchronize, but not by audio - but by Timecode. Both the audio and video have timecode in the meta, and the audio on camera isn't that great so I'm having poor syncing just by audio alone.

• 5. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

OK.

But my question is, if the two camera's coverage doesn't overlap, what are you syncing to?

• 6. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Ordering and syncing to Timecode.

• 7. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

You don't sync to timecode, you sync with timecode.  The question is, what are you syncing the A clips to?  It would have to be another clip of some type.  If not the B cam, then what?

• 8. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence
                        shooternz Community Member

If you have Common (Identical TC on each camera) you can Place each clip in the timeline on separate tracks then Right Click> Synchronise>Timecode.

Yo can set up a Sequence and write what ever TC Start to it that "covers" the TC in your clips and use that to line up eveything.

All depends on how you planned and shot your footage and managed the audio.

You have not said what you did or how you did it (in the shoot)

Are you dealing with audio from any of the cameras.

Synch  or Gen LOcked cameras?

• 9. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Both cameras as well as audio are set to the same relative time codes so as long as the two camera tracks and set of off camera tracks shift themselves to the appropriate time code, those elements that overlap should align and those that for overlap will still be at the same time index that the shoot log ties back to. Eg if I need to grab a clip from 11:45:01:22, all media captured at that moment will be in sync in the sequence.

I tried putting each camera into separate tracks and syncing by Timecode and the option is greyed out. Hence my confusion.

I was not at the shoot and have only been provided a 1TB drive full of footage from the agency and a shot list with time codes.

I'm keen to wonder what an alternate workflow would be. Again I tried plural eyes but it's giving me problems because the audio tracks have 5 channels in them. Never dealt with that before.

• 10. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

I would manually line up the shots as per the shot list using the TC at the start of each clip or first common TC in each clip.  Use a Marker maybe . 

ITs a TVC ...how many shots can there be?

• 11. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

With all the built in functions in premiere to aid in positioning content in a sequence doing it manually (which I ended up doing) has been a lame and time consuming solution. I'm willing to admit to my own ignorance but I know enough to know there has to be a smarter workflow.

It's not a TVC, but an online promotion. A days worth of video content edited down to just over a minute. Two cameras, and probably

30+ clips each. Plus another 12 audio tracks as the audio wasn't cut each time the cameras were.

• 12. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Did you try this suggestion?

If you have Common (Identical TC on each camera) you can Place each clip in the timeline on separate tracks then Right Click> Synchronise>Timecode.

Did you use the type in to TC Box funtion for navigation in source / program or timeline?

Did you use markers and SYnchronise to markers?

How would you have liked it to work?

• 13. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

@shooternz

Yes, that was the first thing I tried, intuitively, I expected to be able to just grab all of Cam A, throw it into Video 1, Cam B in in video 2, and then all of my off-camera audio into a new track. Right click and select Synchronize. But that option wasn't available.

If I understand the next question, yes, I can manually type in the TC into the timeline box and jump ahead, and insert each clip, but there are a lot of clips to manage.

The markers option is great if you have an audio cue to sync to like a slate, and works well before the audio sync option became available. But again the whole point is to avoid having to prep 60-70+ files before I have Premiere do something for me automatically.

I've attached a still that I mocked. Assume that Cam A and B are shooting two different angles sometimes, but not always. Also the Audio 1 track ran continously through many of the cuts. But (in theory) at least shares the same TC space. I don't mind, in fact, had hoped that there would be gaps in the placement of the clips because we are using a real Timecode. I started at 00:00:00:00 for the sake of example, but realistically we were dealing with hours... from like 10am to 6pm.

When I first drag all the clips to the sequence they butt up against eachother. After performing a sync by timecode you should see something like the image attached.

Timecode-mock.jpg

• 14. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

There's no way to get that in PP automatically.  Like I said, you don't sync to timecode, you sync with timecode.  Which means there has to be a clip there with timecode to sync to.  The 'gaps' you expect have no clips, and hence, no timecode to sync with.

• 15. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Did you try Synching Cam to Cam only? (excluding the external audio)

BTW - Cam to cam with different audio roll durations may need the audio checker boarded to allow "space".

Something else. - workflow

I would have shot the project and assumed one camera was the Master.

This footage I would have edited to the sequence first.  Video 1

Then I would  work with the second camera in the source monitor and drop in shots I needed to  Video 2. ie no cuts or inserts in the master on Vid 1

Tip - you can Gang the Monitors once you have the footage synched to the Time code.in Source and Timeline (Program Monitor)  Thats where navigating in the clip via TC comes in.  Find common point and Gang Up.

• 16. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence
                                        Dragonspear Community Member

Note: I'm using CS6. This process may be different in CS or other versions.

As long as you have the same time code on all your footage you can sync by doing the following:

1. SELECT ALL clips you wish to sync from your Project Tab/Window.
                                        2. RIGHT-CLICK and SELECT "Create Multi-camera Source Sequence..." In CS6 it is the next-to-last option in your popup window.
                                        3. A dialogue box will appear. For the Synchronize Point, SELECT the box that says "Timecode" and UN-CHECK "Ignore Hours"
                                        4. You will now see a new multi-cam sequence in your Project Tab/Window.
                                        5. RIGHT-CLICKyour new multi-cam sequence and SELECT "Open in Timeline"
                                        6. You will now see a sequence with all your footage synced by time code. Unfortunately in CS6 it creates a separate track for each clip, which can be a mess if you have hundreds of clips. The best way I have found to make things easier is to create a separate TC synced multi-cam sequence for each individual cameras footage.  For example, I follow the steps above for each of my cameras footage independently so that I have a TC synced sequence for camera A, a TC sequence for camera B, etc. Then you can select all the footage of each sequence, nest it, and copy each nest into a master sequence to work with. What you end up with is a single clip for each camera.  To keep track of where clips start and/or end in the nested sequences you can go into your original sequence and place a marker (shortcut "M") at each clip. These markers then show up in your Mastertimeline clips for reference.

I know things could be easier, but this proves to you that it IS possible to get PPro to automatically sync clips based on TC.

Hope that helps!

For a similar and more in-depth discussion, see another thread I posted in here: Batch syncing audio and video using timecode

• 17. Re: How to sync tracks by TimeCode in sequence

Thanks for chiming in on the post. It's definitely an interesting work around, but as you've noted, a few of the problems are why I didn't go that route originally (would have been a lot of tracks). Something to keep in mind though...