7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2016 11:54 PM by VincentEB

Pixel aspect ratio correction problem

jason_harvey Level 1

Hi there,

So I am having a problem with the aspect ratio nonsense that is surrounding my animation. I have been asked to design an animation by a company for a tv advert. I asked the tv company to give me direction as what sizes to create the design and then in after effects the sizes too (1050x576 for illustrator). I have used the settings listed below for widescreen. I was told to toggle the Pixel aspect ratio but once I do this the vector illustrator files in the project window become blurred. I have clicked the continuously rasterize button in the file and it works fine in the individual comp window itself but the overall composition is still blurred

after effects set up.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 17.26.19.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-20 at 17.26.12.png

As you can see the image on the left is the composition itself in after effects and it looks fine but the image on the right is the overall comp and it is completely blurred? The only reason it is doing this is the aspect ratio button being on.

If anyone can help me then that would be great!

• 1. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does it look like that when you render? Are you viewing at 100% zoom?

• 2. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
            jason_harvey Level 1

Viewing it at 100% and it comes out blurred in the render as well.

• 3. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wait, is that a precomp? Have you enabled the continuous rasterization button for the precomp?

• 4. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
                jason_harvey Level 1

I have enabled the continuous rasterization for both precomp and comp.

• 5. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem started when you chose PAL D1/DV Widescreen as the preset for the master composition. The comp size you should be working in is PAL D1/DV Widescreen SQUARE Pixels. You should do all of your work in square pixels and then when done, if the broadcaster requires you to deliver a PAL D1/DV Widescreen file for broadcast take your master Square Pixel Composition and drop that in a PAL/DV Widescreen comp and render there, or, better yet, use the Adobe Media Encoder to render your final file for broadcast using their specifications. That is the only way

Your Illustrator files MUST be interpreted as square pixels. Any artwork created in any app will be square pixels unless you specifically create the artwork using a rectangular pixel pre-set like you can do in Photoshop. It is still always best to create your artwork in square pixels.

After Effects will ALWAYS incorrectly interpret images at a standard non-square pixel frame size as non-square pixels. Always. Make sure that is not your problem.

DO NOT EXPECT that you will be able to view a non square pixel rendered DV file on a computer without some funny things going on with fine detailed text, circles, and the image in general because whatever media player you use (QuickTime, Windows Media ... whatever) will either play the video back distorted or use it's own best guess to compensate for the rectangular pixels. Neither will look as good as the image will when broadcast in Standard Definition on a TV.  One last note, you cannot judge video for broadcast by looking at a single interlaced frame (a still image). You have to make your quality call while looking at the final rendered product on a calibrated broadcast monitor. Every other way of previewing Standard Definition video will only give you an approximation of what the final product will look like when it leaves the broadcast facility. No telling what it will look like in the viewers home. That's the reality of standard definition tv.

I don't know where you are but I have not had a broadcaster ask for a standard definition file in more than 2 years. Are you absolutely sure that is what is required. You'll only look inexperienced if you do not ask the broadcaster for their exact specifications for format, color depth, color management, audio and so on. They need to supply you with every detail for your delivered product. EVERY broadcaster has the option to set their own standards. You have to ask. There is no "one size fits all" solution here.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
                    jason_harvey Level 1

Rick,

You sir are a gent and a scholar....I will use the info you have given me and implement it on the work. I am new to the tv world and only used to creating website and graphic based animations so I don't tend to worry about how the export is viewed.

Thanks a million you have saved me a lot of head bashing.

kind regards,

Jason

• 7. Re: Pixel aspect ratio correction problem
                      VincentEB Level 1

Thanks for the tip. This really helped me out. Never thought putting my work into another comp and rendering that out would do the trick.

Cheers!