7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 6:35 AM by BryanWilkins

AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64

BryanWilkins

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I just installed After effects on my dell Precision m6600 with a quadro 4000 card in it yesterday.  I've been using premier and photoshop CC successfully for months. 

I have the latest nvidia drivers installed on my system.  Installed them last night and I keep getting the above error when the window loses focus.  i can successfully make a simple project as long as AE does not lose focus, but everytime it does it crashes like this...  Has anyone seen this?  Any Ideas.  My computer has 16 gig ram and an 8 core intel i7 2.4ghz.  multi screens are attached. winodws 7 64 bit

thanks for your time,

Bryan

• 1. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say, "the window loses focus".  It sounds like the user interface goes out of focus as you use it, and that's downright weird.

In any case, although you've provided  SOME information, there isn't enough to make a good diagnosis.  This will help:

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 2. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
            BryanWilkins Level 1

Hi,

When i say loses focus, I mean if the app loses the focus like I start another app such as notepad or something or as simple as clicking on the desktop background on the other monitor After Effects will crash and give this error. 

It will happen even if I do NOT have a project open.  All I have to do to reproduce it is launch After Effects once the splash is closed click on the desktop Background on my other moniter away from After Effects and boom, I get this error.

AE version 12.2.1.5

Quadro 4000M Driver Version 332.50

NVCUDA 6.01 driver

QuickTime 7.7.4(1680.86)

I have Vnc player installed as well as MainConcept mpeg2 codec installed.

Photoshop CC and Premier CC both are functioning normally all being update through the creative cloud.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1

1 usb2 external drive attached and 1 esata drive attached, both not in use yet for After Effects, Just attached. 

I think this gives all of the information between the 2 posts that the FAQ Asks for.

Thank you and anyone else for your time and help resolving this.

Bryan

• 3. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you roll back your graphics card driver? This sounds an awful lot like the graphics card is the culprit.

• 4. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
                BryanWilkins Level 1

Yea,

I just one driver at a time rolled back to the original driver that came with my computer, and it is still happening...  The driver version is now 276.05 with the 4.01 nvcuda drivers.

Im at a loss on this one as this is the only program Ive ever had a problem with on this laptop.  It is my production machine.

• 5. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
                  BryanWilkins Level 1

One more thing. 

I went so far as to start up in safe mode with networking support.  logged into creative cloud and started After Effects in safe mode.

It was huge, but it still did the same thing.   Shouldn't that eliminate anything running in the background as the culprit?

• 6. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
                    matthouston75

Bryan, I'm experiencing the same issue.  Have you ever gotten this resolved?

What's interesting is that I'm running a nearly identical system to yours.   I have a Dell Precision M6600 with the NVidia Quadro 3000M card.  I've also tried every imaginable graphics driver, and am experiencing the same issue.  I notice that NVidia began prefixing a letter "K" to all subsequent versions of this video card, and I'm concerned that this may indicate that our video cards, while still quite advanced and capable, contain an architectural quality which is no longer fully supported by either NVidia or Adobe.
                    This is just a guess, but I've noticed such a trend in GPU card renaming in the past. 
                    We may be out-of-luck and deemed to be collateral damage.

It may be a good idea to send an email to Dell, NVidia and Adobe together to try to get a result, because if I am correct here, then the situation is going to severely damage the trust of any Dell and NVidia customers who use notebook computers for Adobe motion graphics.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there's an easy fix, but the wholesale changing of the graphics card naming scheme does not give me comfort.  All of the Kx000 cards seem fully-supported by Adobe.

see here:

Adobe After Effects CC - 3D Graphics Workflow | NVIDIA

I'm curious to know the reason for the naming protocol change.

I did a bit of research, and found what a likely indication of the architectural shift:
                    NVIDIA Kepler Compute Architecture | High Performance Computing | NVIDIA

If this product is no longer supported, I'm sure you'll agree that this is a very hard pill to swallow, given the significant financial investment wrapped up in this laptop, the graphics card of which cannot be upgraded.

• 7. Re: AE CC 12.2.1 crash when window loses focus windows 7 64
                      BryanWilkins Level 1

Matt,

No, I never got this issue resolved, and I do believe the same as you.  The situation is getting worse.  The new version 2014 of after effects does the same and now photoshop is crashing on exit of its app.

A hard pill indeed.

Bryan