3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 10:41 AM by Felix Dames

AE CS6 11.0.4.2 Disc Cache Problem + RAM Preview Error & Crash

Felix Dames Level 1

I'm working on a project which is 3 minutes length so disc cache is a huge timesaver but when using disc cache and render (ram preview) about 2-3 minutes of the timeline a get crazy After Effects errors (see screenshots).

When disc cache is disabled After Effects works without any problems! So this issue is definitely related to disc cache.

AECrash_Screenshot.jpgAECrash_Screenshot_02.jpg

As you can see in the screenshots I'm often not able to see the error text message because the error window is filled only with white color.

Sometimes the error text is visible and I can see the error message.

Error message are:

1. Unable to create image buffer

2. Unable to create drawing surface

Clicking the OK button or pressing and holding the ESC key immediately brings back the error message window so that I get kept in this error message loop.

Sometimes after holding down the ESC key for quite some time (that is the same as pressing the OK button several times) After Effects stops this error message loop and AE is back to normal behaviour.

Sometimes AE crashes after that.

Sometimes when RAM Previewing AE crashes without any error message and without the option to save as a last chance to save the project.

I found these two Windows7 (german os) crash report error messages:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: AfterFX.exe, Version: 11.0.4.2, Zeitstempel: 0x52886341

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: dvaui.dll, Version: 6.0.0.12167, Zeitstempel: 0x52885677

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005

Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000172d41

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1a90

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cf211581f7f861

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\dvaui.dll

Berichtskennung: 73c3efb2-8d0b-11e3-8d3b-002219e0cc81

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: AfterFX.exe, Version: 11.0.4.2, Zeitstempel: 0x52886341

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005

Fehleroffset: 0x000007fef1be1c30

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x%9

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x%10

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: %11

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: %12

Berichtskennung: %13

My system specs:

AE CS6 11.0.4.2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300

RAM: 16GB

Graphics card: nVidia Quadro FX 2700M 512MB Driver: 332.50

What I did so far to solve the issue:

1. Cleaned / deleted AE disc cache files within AE preferences + purged all image cache files and started over with newly generated cache files - no success

2. Cleaned / deleted Conformed Media Cache & Database within AE preferences - no success

3. I trashed AE Preferences file - no success

4. I installed different graphics card driver. I tried driver version: 258.96, 295.73, 320.49, 332.21, 332.50 - no success

5. I tested the same scenario with a different and nearly clean new AE project. - same issues

6. I checked my RAM for errors - result RAM is error free!

7. I checked my Video RAM for errors - result Video RAM is error free!

8. I checked the hard drive (for disc cache) for errors and defragmented it and tried another hard drive for disc cache - no errors and no success to solve the issue

9. I reduced the the RAM size AE is able to allocate and reduced the maximum disc cache size in AE Preferences - no success

Additional info: Render Multiple Frames simultaneous is OFF.

Turning After Effects Disc Cache completely OFF cures all these issues!

Without Disc Cache AE works as expected and without any errors!

I'm thankfull if somebody could help to solve the issue because I really liked the disc cache and would like to use it again but at the moment AE is unusable when disc cache is turned on.

Some comment from an Adobe employee or someone who could forward this thread to the right people at Adobe would be nice.

Thanks Felix

• 2. Re: AE CS6 11.0.4.2 Disc Cache Problem + RAM Preview Error & Crash
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Felix Dames wrote:

Really? Nobody may help?

You posted this at about 3 in the morning for a large portion of this forum's users. Wait for us to wake up. Also, this is an online forum, not a live chat.

Adobe does have a live chat option for support of their products. If you want instant help, you should try that.

Felix Dames wrote:

Some comment from an Adobe employee or someone who could forward this thread to the right people at Adobe would be nice.

Again, Adobe customer support can help you. This is a user-to-user forum where people help out in their spare time. If you need instant (and official) help, use the Adobe support options.

Now, to try to help solve your issue:

Am I understanding you correctly when you say that you try to do a RAM preview of any composition you receive errors like this? So, if you create a new project, add a new comp, add a solid, and RAM preview, it pops up the error?

Also, am I understanding you correctly when you say you're trying to do a RAM preview that is several minutes long?

You said that you turned down some of the settings and still had issues. What happens if you turn them up a bit higher?

Are the hard drives that you're using internal drives or are they externally connected?

I don't speak German, so I can't really read the crash logs very well. Hopefully someone else will come along who can.

There have been problems with the disk cache in AE especially in CS6 (where it was a new feature). To go by what you hear in the forums, things are better in CC, but they're still not perfect.

Perhaps, for this project, you should learn to work with it off. You don't need to do a RAM preview of the entire composition. It wasn't that many years ago when we would be happy to get a preview of more than a couple of seconds in HD at full resolution. Doing RAM previews at a lower resolution and/or of only certain portions of the comp should get you an idea of the motion without the hit to the RAM or cache.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: AE CS6 11.0.4.2 Disc Cache Problem + RAM Preview Error & Crash
            Felix Dames Level 1

You posted this at about 3 in the morning for a large portion of this forum's users. Wait for us to wake up. Also, this is an online forum, not a live chat.

Sorry I edited my original post which was about 2 days old. By editing it the post got a new date from today... so now it may looked like I would have been in a rush to get an answer...sorry didn't want to come along rude...

Am I understanding you correctly when you say that you try to do a RAM preview of any composition you receive errors like this? So, if you create a new project, add a new comp, add a solid, and RAM preview, it pops up the error?

It's not that simple because AE only uses the disc cache and write files to disc if rendering a frame takes some time and when it is faster to write/read the rendered frame to/from disc instead of rendering it again. so a simple solid is not enough for AE to use the disc cache...

I'm investigating this simple scenario at the moment with only a solid and some render effects to activate AE's disc cache and hope to come up with a simple sample project to share but at the moment I'm not able to reproduce the error in this super simple scenario. I tested it in the past (as I wrote point 5. of my post) with a huge tiff sequence and the error happend with this tiff sequence in an absolue empty composition.

The problem is that this error is not easy to reproduce. When disc cache is enabled these errors only pop up when rendering a huge and long project.

The error happend for me when I has rendered (RAM Preview) the hole project (about 12GB used of my 16 GB RAM 4GB were left for other applications) I saved the project and opened it the next day. The timeline indicator for all frames was blue (frames available in disc cache) I hit RAM Preview again to watch the project. When AE reads the previous rendered frames from disc cache to RAM these errors accured.

Are the hard drives that you're using internal drives or are they externally connected?

Most of the files were located on internal drives but not all. Some came from an external eSata drive - I'm investigating this at the moment if this might be the problem...Thanks for this tipp

The disc cache itself is on a local hard drive. I already changed the disc cache to another local hard drive to test if the drive was the problem but it wasn't.

There have been problems with the disk cache in AE especially in CS6 (where it was a new feature). To go by what you hear in the forums, things are better in CC, but they're still not perfect.

Perhaps, for this project, you should learn to work with it off. You don't need to do a RAM preview of the entire composition. It wasn't that many years ago when we would be happy to get a preview of more than a couple of seconds in HD at full resolution. Doing RAM previews at a lower resolution and/or of only certain portions of the comp should get you an idea of the motion without the hit to the RAM or cache.

Yeah that's why I disabled the disc cache and why I was able to finish the project without further problems.

But now I'm trying to find the culprit