15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2014 11:33 PM by BigMFishing

Quicktime application

BigMFishing

I just got my PC back from being repaired. I have re-installed both Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11

I just need to download quicktime for my Windows 7. Which Quicktime should I download? I do not remember which quicktime I had previously before PC had Problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marvin Engel

Big M's Fishing Charters LLC

• 1. Re: Quicktime application
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Marvin,

I would download, and install the very latest version.

I have not read of any of the recent versions causing any issues with Adobe programs, like happened back about 7.4.x, where 2 - 3 versions in a row were highly problematic. I stayed with 7.3.5, and waited until I got great reports on 7.5.5, before upgrading. Nothing like that seems to be happening now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Quicktime application
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin Engel

There is only one QuickTime version for the Windows user, that is, its 32 bit application, whether or not your Windows is 32 or 64 bit.

The link to the QuickTime 7.7.4 latest version is

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Please let us know if the download and install of QuickTime was a success.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Quicktime application
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin Engel

I just saw Hunt's post after I had posted mine.

QuickTime 7.7.4 will work just fine for you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Quicktime application
                BigMFishing Level 1

Thanks for the Information Bill.

• 5. Re: Quicktime application
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

While I have not upgraded to 7.4.4, I have read of zero issues with it, like I saw back in the 7.4.x days.

There are sources for earlier versions, but if the latest is working with Adobe programs, I do not recommend that one go back in time.

Soon, I will probably upgrade, but until I need to, I will keep my 7.6.9 Pro on my computers. I feel the same way regarding iTunes - I will keep what works for me, and not just blindly upgrade to the "newer version," until I find a need to do so.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Quicktime application
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Marvin,

You are most welcome.

Please let us know if you ever have an issue with Apple's QT Player. Those reports warned many to ignore the 7.4.x versions, if they had Adobe programs, but that was some years ago now.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Quicktime application
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

From what you wrote, it sounds like you do not work from QuickTime (the non Pro, free variety). Is that correct?

ATR

• 8. Re: Quicktime application
                        BigMFishing Level 1

Yes Sir AT.

I just use it so I can view other videos that are sent to me from some of

my buddies. When I was re-installing Premiere Elements 11 earlier today, a

notification came up saying I would need to install quicktime to view

videos. That is when I remembered I did not know what version I previously

had on this Laptop. I sent my Laptop off for repairs. The left click button

stuck down and I had an issue with the COM Surrogate. It kept saying COM

Surrogate has stopped working when I would want to view my photos, and

Videos. Seems to be working great now. Thank God I backed up all my files,

documents, etc., on my External Hardrive. I purchased the WD 1TB External

Hardrive.

On quick time 7.4.4, how do you use it besides what I am using it for. I am

totally not familiar with quick time at all.

Marvin

• 9. Re: Quicktime application
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin

Thanks for the update and asking about QuickTime (non pro, free).

If you wanted to export your Timeline content to a .mov (QuickTime) file via Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, you would discover missing components which allow for the export unless you had QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements. There are other activities requiring the presense of QuickTime on your computer when working with Premiere Elements (any version).

Under certain circumstances, the absence of QuickTime has resulted in miscellaneous negative explained and unexplained  effects in Premiere Elements.

Whenever we troubleshoot, the first two classical questions are

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed

and

b. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges

and

c Other, which is probably is the video card driver version up to date.

QuickTime like Premiere Elements requires Administrator permissions.

One never has enough backups. So it looks like you are doing well with that.

I have never run into the COM Surrogate issue. So, I did some Googling on it and found the following.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-in-windows-7/

I would be a little guarded about codec approach, but...

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Quicktime application
                            BigMFishing Level 1

I have never had any problems with the quick time. I always thought it was

some type of driver software used to just view video's and slideshows that

were sent to me, or to be able to view online vids.

On the COM surrogate issue, I did go online and try to correct it, but none

of the information to resolve it would correct it. Since I got my laptop

back from HP Repair center in Grapevine Texas, everything seems to be

working fine so far. What would happen is if I clicked like say on my

pictures folder and used the right arrow at bottom of screen to go to the

next pic it would turn the screen to a hazy white and freeze up, then the

COM Surrogate would pop up saying it had stopped working. It would give me

to choices wait for program to respond (which it never did) or close the

program which I would have to do. I had never even heard if this issue ever

until about three weeks ago. I need to learn more on how to use quick time

I really appreciate the information on quick time and the link on COM

Surrogate. I will check the link out.

Thank you,

Marvin Engel

• 11. Re: Quicktime application
                              BigMFishing Level 1

AT.

The link you provided is the exact same link I used to try to correct the

issue. I tried two of the steps and stopped there. I was afraid I would

wipe out all my videos and pics before I was able to copy all files to

external hard drive.

• 12. Re: Quicktime application
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin

About COM Surogate, you wrote

is if I clicked like say on my

pictures folder and used the right arrow at bottom of screen to go to the

next pic it would turn the screen to a hazy white and freeze up, then the

COM Surrogate would pop up saying it had stopped working.

Where are you seeing the right arrow at bottom of screen? Do you mean the arrow keys of the computer keyboard?

If you are not referring to the keyboard's arrow keys, could you post a screenshot of the arrow to which you refer?

Some times these remedies cause more problems than the original problem. So, good that you are cautious.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Quicktime application
                                  BigMFishing Level 1

I should have been more specific. My Fault.

It is the left and right arrow keys under each pic I have in a documents

pic folder.The ones that you probably use on your PC when you scroll

through several pics. I would use these arrow keys so I would not have to

close the pic and go back and click on the next pic to open it up. When the

COM Surrogate would come up on the pics, it would happen when I would go to

the next pic or even sometimes when I would click on pic to view in full

screen. (I still do not know what COM Surrogate does or how it works) I

know the tech with HP told me that it would take a Complete System Reboot

or System Bios Reboot to wipe out and re-install correctly. He did ask me

if the Blue Screen ever came up and I told him not with this issue. (When

Java had their problems early last year, I did have Blue Screen pop up

System Bios and had to send my laptop off to get repaired. Froze up on Blue

Screen and it was locked there)

On the Video's, it would just appear sometimes at the start of the vid or

middle or close to end. I just never knew what part of video it would come

up and stop working. But both the pics and video's are working fine now. I

can even click the arrows to go to next pic rapidly and it is working just

fine so far.

• 14. Re: Quicktime application
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Marvin

That was great news. I misunderstood. I thought that the COM Surrogate problem still existed.

We will keep positive thoughts that the issue is gone as a result of the computer repairs.

Thanks for the update and clarification.

ATR

• 15. Re: Quicktime application
                                      BigMFishing Level 1

No problem AT. If is run into any more issues I will let you know.

Thank you,

Marvin Engel