9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2014 1:49 PM by Willi Adelberger RSS

How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

johnmd13

I have an InDesign template with 300+ styles, and I need to get all the formatting info into a CSS file. I've exported epubs and extracted the CSS for other documents, which works great. But apparently styles need to be applied to text before they'll export as a CSS style. I could greek 300+ lines of text and apply each style to a line, but I really hope I don't need to do that.

I have also located the styles.xml file within the idml package, and that gives the style data, but not in CSS format. If nothing else, does anyone know how to convert that to CSS format?

Admittedly, I have a solution, and I'm trying to avoid a lot of tedious work. But I thought I would check here before I start.

Thanks for your help!

John

• 1. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?
          Willi Adelberger CommunityMVP

For this question it would be very helpful to know which version you have. InDesign has different functionality in CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC 9.0, CC 9.1 and CC 9.2 and will experience with every new version tremendous changes in EPUB export.

In the newer versions you can specify in Paragraph, Character and Object Styles a Setting for EPUB and HTML where you can tell a tag and a class for CSS. You can also tell to omit a css export there. And during EPUB export are some settings to choose an existing CSS and to avoid overriedes.

If someone wants to work seriously with EPUB he has to be a cloud subscriber because only the cloud versions will get useable functionality for EPUBs.

• 2. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?
            johnmd13 Community Member

Ah, interesting. I just got approval today to upgrade to CC. I have been using CS6; sorry I forgot to note that. I've seen where you can specify a tag name (not just the classic p, h1, h2, etc.) by typing it in Export Tagging. Is there a way to set that to happen automatically? And, of course, is there a way in CC to get every style to appear automatically in the CSS?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

When you export a file a CSS is created in the EPUB package. But every style can produce conflicting CSS because for print you might use different styles for the same purpose and you want to use the very same style in the EPUB.

When you create a style and do nothing the tag section is set to automatically. I would recommend to work with your own classes to have better influence later in designing your own css.

• 4. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?
                pooja2087 Employee Hosts

Hi,

In InDesign CC or 9.2, Emit CSS checkbox is added in the style options dialog to give more control to the user over the styles he wants to be part of the CSS. If this checkbox is OFF, the style won't be part of the CSS but if the user has a template with only styles present and these are not applied, then the generated CSS will not have the style related CSS.

Regards,

Pooja

• 5. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

Thanks for that. I'll hopefully get CC 9.2 next week, so I'll report back how it goes. I appreciate the help!

John

• 6. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

I've just tested InDesign CC 9.2, and it seems the "Emit CSS" function (for HTML or EPUB) allows you to specify whether the style is included in CSS if there is exported text tagged with that style. The control is to limit the amount of CSS data, not to expand it. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

John

• 7. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?
                      Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

As Pooja has stated, we only put in the package those we need so By now you've given in and by hand used all you styles somewhere and you are seeing your classes.

EmitCSS is actually intended for a different purpose than you've described - it let you control which Paar/Char/Object Style will actually create the Class. This is useful when you have more than one Style which maps to the same Class name.

I have heard similar request to yours before - can you tell me more about why you want to see all the potential Classes? Clearly we could add an option in a future update to do this but will it be worth the effort?

What is the workflow that you are trying to use this for?

Thanks

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

• 8. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

Thanks so much for your reply, Douglas. It's helpful to know the specific reason for a feature. I typeset Bibles, so I'm dealing with an enormous amount of characters. My workflow typically splits the Bible into six sections in order to keep processing time down and enhance stability. I have my databases in XML and an InDesign template that I use to import a number of different languages. I also export ePubs of sections. Now I'm trying to create a comprehensive CSS for other electronic publishing applications. I would like the maximal CSS that could cover multiple translations/languages, which would work very well if I could simply export from my template without needing text with styles applied. (Some translations don't use all the available styles.)

I just tried exporting an ePub from .indb. That seems to have exported all used styles, which is very helpful (rather than trying to merge CSS from individual ePubs or something like that). But that is still short of a maximal CSS, which would be necessary in apps with multiple languages. I suppose I could create a book/ePub with multiple translations to capture all styles, but that is getting back to the point that I would love a feature to be able to export unused styles.

Thanks for your help!

John

• 9. Re: How do I export a complete CSS file from ID styles?

I work since several months with a form document which contains evey style and at least an example for that style. All styles are somehow related to one basic style. Styles in thet document are paragraph, character, object, table, cell, toc and and additional a library with some basic objects like an element which puts an object on each layer and creates a bund of layers with the very same name and order when I place it into the document.

This gives me the oportunity to change the global language in changing the language in the basic paragraph style which is the root paragraph style for the whole document. It allows me also to change the font family very fast in find font and it allows me to export a complete CSS and I can apply this very same CSS on different books. It makes it also easier to copy and paste from one publication to the other because all style names are the same.

All style names are named after their functionality not by their design. I use only simple characters and acoid extended glyphs like äöüßÄÖÜ which helps me to identify XMLs easier with the same name. I use also style names similar to HTML nomination to see faster their counterpart in HTML and it is easier to decide which CSS should not be exported or created.