6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 9:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Importing Media from folders

hilsanddel

I am trying to import video files into my project. I select 6 files from one folder, which show up when applied.  I then select another 6 from another folder, but when I apply this, then the first 6 disappear? I need to have them all before I put my project together.

Derek

• 1. Re: Importing Media from folders
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution are these clips?

Which version of the program are you using -- and on what operating system -- and what steps are you taking to add the media to your project?

• 2. Re: Importing Media from folders
            hilsanddel Level 1

They are small videos made from my son's I phone of our grandaughter - have copied them onto my disc file, after being sent ny email from him. Not sure of the resolution - they are Quick time videos.

I am using version 9 of Premiere elements and am on Windows XP.

I Click on Get Media, then select Files/Folders.  Choose the folder that I want to get them from, and OK.  They then appear accordingly.  As I said before, If I do it again, then the previous files disappear?

Thanks Derek

• 3. Re: Importing Media from folders

In version 9, you need to set up your project manually to match your video specs -- so you'll need to know your video's specs.

Open one of your videos in MediaInfo and note its resolution, frame rate and audio and video codec.

http://mediaarea.net/us/MediaInfo/Download

Also make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com, per the program's requirements.

• 4. Re: Importing Media from folders
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Derek

I would ask you and SG to reconsider the direction that the troubleshooting has been taking and consider the following as the explanation for what you are observing (which I believe to be normal) and suggest how to deal with it.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1

You need to make a distinction between the import that is represented in the Elements Organizer (Organize header/Media) versus that import as represented into the opened project that you are in (Organizer header/Project). And you appear not to be making that distinction.

Explanation

1. The program opens with the Organize header/Media in Row Below as the active phase.

PE9One.JPG

You select Organize header/Get Media and then Files and Folders, browse to 4 photos in a folder, select the 4 photos, click OPEN. At that point, you have your 4 photos in the Organize header/Media phase of the program.

Organize Header/Get Media

PE9Two.JPG

Organize Header/Media

PE9Three.JPG

2. If you go to Get Media/Files and Folders/ again and make a selection of 4 more photos in another folder, click OPEN, they will open in that same Organize Media interface. Your first 4 photos would appear to be gone, but they are not. You are dealing with a viewing matter at this point. This second Get Media/Files and Folders is only showing you what you just imported into the into Organize header/Media (Elements Organizer).

Organize Header/Media view after 2nd Import

PE9Four.JPG

3. If you want to see all 8 photos imported into this project, go to Organize header and click on Project in the row below. You will see all the files imported into the current project.

Organize Header/Project

PE9Five.JPG

And, when you hit the Show All in the Organize/Media phase, what you will see are thumbnails representing old and new that went into the Elements Organizer.

More later after you have had a chance to check out the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Importing Media from folders

I still think you need to set up a project properly for it to function with certain media in version 9, ATR.

• 6. Re: Importing Media from folders
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I would agree that setting up a project properly is essential to the positive prognosis for the project outcome.

However, in the specific matter presented, I sense that Derek is facing "normal" and is not aware of the details of how Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0 handles imported media. I suspect that Derek would be facing the same disappearing imported media problem presented whether or not the project preset was correct.

ATR