2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 3:39 PM by Mike M

How do I reinstall flash player in Windows 8.1?

mrsvolz

I accidently uninstalled flash player on windows 8.1.  Adobe will not let me install it.  It sent me to windows update, and I updated and still do not have flash player listed in my control panel programs. I double clicked on it in the uninstall page and it disappeared.  Did I uninstall the program? 

• 1. Re: How do I reinstall flash player in Windows 8.1?
          m_vargas Adobe Employee

hello,

On Windows 8 and above, Flash Player for Internet Explorer is distributed by Microsoft via a Windows Update.  Yon't see a separate Flash Player entry.  If you select to view 'Windows Updates' you may be able to determine which one of the updates is the Flash Player update.

" I double clicked on it in the uninstall page and it disappeared." What Uninstall page are you referring to (please add a screenshot if possible).

--

Maria

• 2. Re: How do I reinstall flash player in Windows 8.1?
            Mike M Level 6

mrsvolz wrote:

I accidently uninstalled flash player on windows 8.1.  Adobe will not let me install it.  It sent me to windows update, and I updated and still do not have flash player listed in my control panel programs. I double clicked on it in the uninstall page and it disappeared.  Did I uninstall the program? 

Adobe isn't preventing it... Two (2) Windows registry keys and a Windows Update KB Patch are preventing it...

As Maria stated, you need to run Windows Update.

Being as you're using Windows 8.1 and IE11, I'd personally recommend ANY OTHER BROWSER you feel comfortable with. Microsoft altered the User-Agent Strings in IE11 (details here) which causes mididentification at numerous sites. They do not recognize your browser or the plug-ins, even when they are up to date.

Firefox (from Mozilla)

Opera (from Opera)

Safari (from Apple)

Chrome (from Google)

ANY of those will work where IE11 won't, with the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers), and Chrome doesn't even need that because it has its own Flash Player plugin built in.