1 2 3 Previous Next 322 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2017 4:49 PM by Brendon Coetzer

Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

eschillay Level 1

I'm expecting delivery soon of a new Mac Pro, nicely loaded, which I purchased mainly because of all the work I do with video. Yet, I read in a review that Adobe Premiere Pro isn't optimized to take advantage of the new Mac Pro, won't run faster, and I'm better off using Apple's Final Cut.

1. Is this true?; and

2. If so, will Premiere Pro be updated any time soon to run best on a 2014 Mac Pro?

My new Mac Pro will have the following configuration:

3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

1TB PCIe-based flash storage

Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
        • 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi eschillay,

No, it's not true. The new MacPro and Premiere Pro CC work very well together. I'm not sure where you heard anything negative. As one of my colleagues says, "The performance of Premiere Pro on this hardware is way more than most people need," so the software is already optimized for the new Mac Pro. In fact, its dual GPUs can be utilized for export, for better quality and faster speeds. Read about that here.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Thanks,
          Kevin

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
            eschillay Level 1

From a recent review in the Wall Street Journal:

Adobe’s popular Creative Suite software, which is used by many developers, animators, graphic artists and other creative pros, isn’t optimized for the Mac Pro yet. The Verge, which uses Adobe’s Premiere Pro video-editing software over Final Cut, said “editing in Premiere didn’t feel much snappier on the Mac Pro than it does on the previous generation, or even on the current iMacs.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/12/27/mac-pro-what-the-early-reviews-say/

---

From MacRumors.com:

When Adobe -- and other performance-focused applications -- are inevitably upgraded to take advantage of the Pro, it's likely the performance improvements will shine like they do with Final Cut Pro X. Until then, however, the Mac Pro is mostly an incredibly well-designed, and fast, Mac. With new Mac Pro orders currently delayed until at least February, perhaps it will give developers time to upgrade their software.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/23/mac-pro-reviews-find-impressive-hardware-but-few-softw are-titles-take-advantage/

----

From TheVerge.com:

I work in an Adobe world, where the story is a bit different. Premiere is also able to deal with native 4K Epic footage, so I brought in our test batch through the Media Browser. I set up a timeline based on the clips' native size and codec. Without any rendering, and without applying any effects, I couldn’t play any Epic footage in Premiere at an acceptable frame rate.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/23/5234574/apple-mac-pro-review-2013

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
              cc_merchant Level 4

MacPro.png

First of all, it is only a SINGLE CPU configuration, not a dual CPU. Secondly, it uses dual D700 FirePro cards, which do not yet measure up to a single GTX Titan for PR. Third, it uses a Thunderbolt 2.0 connection to the Promise R6 (6 by 2TB) which is limited to around 500 MB/s transfer rate.

For that price you can easily get a much faster PC, dual 12-cores, better video card(s) and much faster disk I/O.

Kevin, look at Tweakers Page - What video card to use?

Your claim:

In fact, its dual GPUs can be utilized for export, for better quality and faster speeds.

The use of two video cards to improve export times is extremely doubtful, according to this article.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

Hi cc_merchant,

That's cool that you can build a PC to out perform the new MacPro. Thanks for the info and reminder of the Tweakers Page.

cc_merchant wrote:

Your claim:

In fact, its dual GPUs can be utilized for export, for better quality and faster speeds.

The use of two video cards to improve export times is extremely doubtful, according to this article.

Yes, exporting is primarily a CPU based operation, but in a number of instances, dual GPUs do accelerate encoding. Dual GPUs also provide a number of other options for a faster worflow.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere -pro.html

"While Engadget is largely impressed with the new device, The Verge uses Adobe Premiere for its video editing and found very slight performance improvements because Adobe has not yet updated its software to take advantage of the Mac Pro's dual-GPUs. In fact, Premiere puts most of its processing on the Mac Pro's CPUs, the tower's weakest performance datapoint."

Premiere Pro CC (7.2.1) is the latest version of the application. The Verge's article was written right around the same time as the 7.2.1, so it leads me to believe that they were not using the latest version of the application while testing for the review.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

Hi eschillay,

Good luck with the new MacPro! If you are not yet a Premiere Pro CC user, you can check out a trial of the application to make sure that it meets your needs for performance.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Thanks,

Kevin

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                    eschillay Level 1

Kevin,

I am a CC subscriber and have Premiere Pro CC on my system. My concern was whether or not to spend the time to learn the software fully for my uses or just stick with Final Cut Pro because Final Cut may run better on the new computer.

Best,

E

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

E,

Premiere Pro CC on the new MacPro will be awesome, and will get better as new versions are released. I'd definitely go down that road. I do not have experience with FCP X, so I really can't make a recommendation there.

Thanks,
                      Kevin

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                        alainmaiki Level 1

Hello kevin...when will Adobe premiere cc will use dual gpus during playback? I would love to have that as FCP X which reviews says is ultra fast with RED RAW Clips because it uses fully the cpu and gpus on the new mac pro

Thanks

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

Hi alainmaiki,

GPUs are used during playback when using GPU supported effects: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere -pro.html .

Here's a link to RED support in Premiere Pro CC: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab2.html#REDSupport

I think you'll find a lot of people using Premiere Pro for native RED RAW editing.

If you want something specific, please make a request: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,
                          Kevin

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                            third unkle Level 1

I've been using the latest version CC on a new Mac Pro (8 cores, D700 video cards) for about a month now and I am finding it a definite improvement on my 09 dual quad inetl Mac Pro. Rendering files out of PPro is probably about 100% faster and a lot of effects that would haveshown a red bar in the timeline now show yellow requiring less rendering for playback. I work in HD space so I can't comment on 4K performance, but as someone who makes a living with this software on a daily basis I am more than satisfied.

An interesting aside... 2 days after taking delivery of the new Mac Pro the logic board on my old Mac Pro died... yes there is a god

Cheers

Pete

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                              jasonvp Level 3

eschillay wrote:

I'm expecting delivery soon of a new Mac Pro, nicely loaded, which I purchased mainly because of all the work I do with video.

Did you already place the order with Apple?  Based on the "expecting delivery" statement, I'm guessing you did.  I'd have chosen a slightly different path, and if you haven't pushed the "Order" button yet, you might consider it...

3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

1TB PCIe-based flash storage

Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

The built-in SSD is super-fast, but, IMHO, optioning up to the 1TB one is a significant waste of money.  The included drive should ideally be used for the operating system and any applications you're using.  In all honesty, you probably don't need much more than 40GB or so for that, in total.  The smallest SSD is the best bet there; if you're doing a lot of video editing then you know you need more drives anyway.  Pick the smallest SSD available, and then add a couple of external multi-drive Thunderbolt chassis.

The memory is another point where money can be saved.  Swapping RAM in the Mac Pro is ridiculously easy to do, even for the most neophyte of neophytes.  Seriously.  Buy the Mac with the lowest possible memory configuration, and then add aftermarket RAM to it.  Save yourself some more cash.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                BanksMeador Level 1

I have had my 12 core 2014 Mac Pro for a couple of weeks now, and I'm not very impressed with Premiere CC performance with 4K R3D on a 1920 x 1080 timeline.

I understand that there may be an update soon that will take adantage of the CPU's and GPU's when it comes to the complex task of de-bayering the R3D footage, but it's just not there now.

I get similar playback performance to what I experienced on my 09 Mac Pro tower.

Any insights on getting better playback performance in this scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                  alainmaiki Level 1

My main problem is that when i export using gpu open gl it crashes hard boot the mac pro. A 3 min timeline with 4k footage n a bunch of color grading.  I get lucky if the timeline is shorter. But i think it is a gpu issue n my mac must be fixed. Currently under apple tech support. N my case is unique. No one has had the same issue and that makes it harder for me to figure the isse and to apple figure the issue.

If i export using software only mercury then the export goes smoothe no mattrr how long. But that defeata the point of owning a mac pro with 2 GPUs

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 29/03/2014, a las 01:51 p.m., BanksMeador <forums_noreply@adobe.com> escribió:

Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

created by BanksMeador in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

I have had my 12 core 2014 Mac Pro for a couple of weeks now, and I'm not very impressed with Premiere CC performance with 4K R3D on a 1920 x 1080 timeline.

I understand that there may be an update soon that will take adantage of the CPU's and GPU's when it comes to the complex task of de-bayering the R3D footage, but it's just not there now.

I get similar playback performance to what I experienced on my 09 Mac Pro tower.

Any insights on getting better playback performance in this scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6253414#6253414

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6253414#6253414

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6253414#6253414. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                    moshplant Level 1

Premiere CC crashes on startup for me every time on my new Mac Pro. Other CC apps seem to be working, but I have a couple of other applications that migrated from my previous system that are similarly busted.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                      third unkle Level 1

Hi eschillay... I've been running Premiere Pro CC on my new Mac Pro for the last 2 months.

Definitely much faster than my 2009 MP and also faster than a couple of HP Z800 workstations with Nvidia GPU support (they are probaly a couple of years old).

Haven't even bothered to load my old FCP studio apps onto the new machine.

On the whole been a very =Ve experience

cheers

Pete

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                        cc_merchant Level 4

On the whole been a very =Ve experience

Don't you mean "Very Expensive"

MacPro.png

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                          third unkle Level 1

It wasn't exactly cheap, but it will last hopefully for 3 years... over that time the cost will be less than 0.5% of my turnover and it's tax deductable, so in those terms I would think it's a pretty good deal.

I did mean a +ve experience...

Pete :]+<

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                            third unkle Level 1

fresh install of all apps would be my suggestion... did that on mine... no problems...

Pete

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                              jasonvp Level 3

cc_merchant wrote:

Don't you mean "Very Expensive"

Take the the fan-boy sniping elsewhere.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                denniscarrollAV Level 1

Took delivery of my new Mac Pro yesterday after a 4 month wait while Apple built it. I have been a user of Premiere since Premiere 5 (pre CS, circa 2000). After getting everything installed and tweaked I have to say that I am floored by the performance so far.

I upgraded from a 2009 Mac Pro dual Quad 2.66, w/48gb Ram, Quadro 4000m, (3) 10,000rpm drives.

New Mac Pro is the biggest, baddest one you could build on the Apple site. There is a Pegasus 2 4tb Raid plugged in via Thinderbolt 2. I've been cutting on it for 3 hours now. Wow. Magic Bullett Suite runs in real time at full playback resolution. Exporting is almost real time. Even with plugins that would bog down the older Mac.

The test tonight is to put MB Denoiser on an hour of footage and export it. On the old Mac it would take up to 12 hours.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                  needles27 Level 3

I'm curious about the MB Denoiser test - that is always the stumbling block which makes my machine grind to a halt. (2009 MacPro as well)

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                    alainmaiki Level 1

Dennis. What rez u use? I hace issues with open cl exporting larger files of 5 min with a bunch of filters.  I use red raw at 4k rez in the tinelime.  I am not too happy with my issue when open CL is on because the computer freezes and requires a hard boot

Ironically without open cl and software only mercury i can export limitless time lenght. Weird stuff and apple dont seem to figure it out either.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 01/05/2014, a las 05:25 p.m., denniscarrollAV <forums_noreply@adobe.com> escribió:

Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

created by denniscarrollAV in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Took delivery of my new Mac Pro yesterday after a 4 month wait while Apple built it. I have been a user of Premiere since Premiere 5 (pre CS, circa 2000). After getting everything installed and tweaked I have to say that I am floored by the performance so far.

I upgraded from a 2009 Mac Pro dual Quad 2.66, w/48gb Ram, Quadro 4000m, (3) 10,000rpm drives.

New Mac Pro is the biggest, baddest one you could build on the Apple site. There is a Pegasus 2 4tb Raid plugged in via Thinderbolt 2. I've been cutting on it for 3 hours now. Wow. Magic Bullett Suite runs in real time at full playback resolution. Exporting is almost real time. Even with plugins that would bog down the older Mac.

The test tonight is to put MB Denoiser on an hour of footage and export it. On the old Mac it would take up to 12 hours.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6348892#6348892

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6348892#6348892

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6348892#6348892. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                      denniscarrollAV Level 1

So far so good. I am shooting/editing Canon MXF format usually at 30f/50mbs. Premiere was able to export a 1:06:00 clip with MB Denoiser II on it in 4:11:00. A far better time than the 12-14 hours it took on my old 2009 Mac Pro. All done through ME.

Premiere has crashed once because of the dreaded "Error compiling movie" issue. I was able to sort that out pretty quick. But other than that I am pretty happy with the speed of workflow though I do feel like more can be done to utilize the new Mac Pro's awesome power.

• 25. Re: Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                        jasonvp Level 3

denniscarrollAV wrote:

After getting everything installed and tweaked I have to say that I am floored by the performance so far.

I'm pretty surprised by the performance of the new Mac as well.  I got the 8-core with the D700 cards.  It replaced a highly modified Mac Pro 5,1 with aftermarket 3.46Ghz 6-core Xeons (x 2) and a GTX570 nVidia card.  My standard benchmark is to the export of one of my race track videos.  It's 2 1080p AVCHD inputs and a separate sound file (WAV).  One camera is PiP'd on top of the other; that same camera is also scaled down 50%, cropped from the bottom by 30%, and then horizontally flipped so it looks like a rear view mirror image.  From there, the entire video is scaled to 720p and exported to h.264 MPEG4.

My old Mac Pro could do it in real time plus some epsilon.  My new on can do it in real time minus some epsilon.  The kicker is that it makes no sound, whatsoever, while it's doing it.  And it has one less Xeon processor in it.

Is it an order of magnitude faster than the last one?  No.  Is it even twice as fast?  Nope.  But it's doing more with less, and that's impressive.

ETA:

I don't know if the OP is still following this thread.  For what it's worth: I performed the same benchmark on the latest Final Cut Pro X, since they have a 30-day free trial.  The executive summary is: Premiere is still faster for what I do.

On my last Mac Pro, the same export would take twice real time with Final Cut Pro X.  The main reasons: nVidia GPU that performed poorly in OpenCL, and an older, less-optimized version of FCPX.  On the new Mac Pro with the latest FCPX, the export went from twice real time to half real time plus some epsilon.  So basically: as fast as Premiere used to be on my old Mac Pro.

A huge improvement for FCPX, no question.  But the application doesn't want to edit raw AVCHD footage without putting a .MOV wrapper around it first.  When your files are gigs and gigs in size, this takes: a while.  And it slows the editing process down.  And, ultimately, the export process is still slower than the latest Premiere.  Given all of that: I'm sticking w/Adobe.

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                          safehouse909 Level 1

Hello Kevin I do have some questions... Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"? I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings. I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac. Please help!eschillay

• 27. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                            safehouse909 Level 1

The same thing happens to me on 1080p video. With no color correction. I am not pushing the render at all but it still Will lock up 9out of 10 times. They need to get it fixed!!

• 28. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                              alainmaiki Level 1

Wow its absurd this is happening to some of us. Abode needs to get it ixed cuZ accordinf to apple thos wont happen with final cut x. So its all on adobe aparently. Unlesss they both need to get a patch to fix this.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 13/05/2014, a las 08:30 p.m., safehouse909 <forums_noreply@adobe.com> escribió:

Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)

created by safehouse909 in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Hello Kevin I do have some questions... Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"? I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings. I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac. Please help!eschillay

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6380384#6380384

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

• 29. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                jasonvp Level 3

safehouse909 wrote:

Why is it that everyone at Adobe will say Adobe Premiere CC works great with the new Mac Pros but mine crashes just about every time when I try to render a video using "GPU"?

Perhaps we can figure it out within the community; I'd suggest perhaps changing the tone of your opening statement.  I can understand frustration, but subtle sniping at Adobe isn't going to help.

I have called into support at Adobe and had a remote screen session and they to have seen the render crash and LOCK UP the Mac! After an hour or so they just say " we about the problems with the graphic cards and the only work around is to use "Software Only" render settings.

What source footage are you editing?  What are you exporting to?  What aftermarket plugins are you using?

I have also called in to Mac and have tried to get it worked out. The only software on my Mac that will lock up my Mac is Premiere. A 5000.00 Mac, 2500.00 Pegasus2, and a 50.00 monthly software lease and I can still not get GPU!!! I will posted a video to see if someone has a clue because No one has a clue at Adobe or Mac.

Calling Apple regarding this isn't going to result in much, unfortunately.  I wouldn't recommend doing that.  Their service and support folks are top notch; literally the best in the industry.  This specific issue is with Pr and something in your computing environment, I suspect.  In other words: nothing Apple can help with.

• 30. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                  safehouse909 Level 1

Jason I guess changing my tone can be had to do at times when my clients are not happy with the turn around time. But really the problem with this is not their problem. So..... Adobe wins the prize.

shooting with Panisonic AG-HMC150 1080p

have tried exporting to DVD setting and any of the H264 settings

No 3rd party plugins

honestly if you could see how basic these last to jobs have been you would be surprised. The post work is very basic. No color correction no hard compositing ,nothing

• 31. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                    jasonvp Level 3

safehouse909 wrote:

Jason I guess changing my tone can be had to do at times when my clients are not happy with the turn around time.

Flies, honey, etc.

honestly if you could see how basic these last to jobs have been you would be surprised. The post work is very basic. No color correction no hard compositing ,nothing

Did you start these projects in CS6 by chance, and then import them?

Do you have the CUDA drivers installed by chance?  Those get sneaked in by another piece of software, and they can royally truck things up on the Mac with Premiere.

• 32. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                      jstrawn Adobe Employee

I typically run PrPro CC 2014 on two macs. One is an older MacPro tower with a 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon process and NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 display adapter (CUDA card). The other is a 2014 model MacBookPro with 2/3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and a PCIe NVIDIA GEForce GT 75 display card, as well as a built Intel Iris Pro card for Retina display.

I've noticed minimal performance differences between the two and feel that the macbook is a little better if anything. I don't have much in the way of tangible metrics to share either way, but I can run some basic comparisons now if it's helpful, as long as their based on media that I'd be able to get something similar to.

• 33. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                        safehouse909 Level 1

Sorry meant to spell "hard" not "had".

No all in CC. Also no extra drivers. Just got the new mac an installed the apps and that is it. Just started working.

• 34. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                          alainmaiki Level 1

It is very frustrating guys. Check this out. I have 115 min timeline RED RAW @4k. NO Color Grading, Nothing...Just raw. Even exporting at 720p VBR 1 pass which is lower quality it crashes at about 50 pct through. so I have to do the ironic thing of exporting 5 to 10 min at a time...a 7k$ Computer and I have to do that? Absurd and very frustrating. Apple never got back to me, they are playing fool game, and Adobe says the software matches the MAC PRO compatibility. So basically here we are paying the big bucks and they pretend that all seems fine!

• 35. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                            alainmaiki Level 1

Hello Kevin. I understand for Adobe everything seems to be tight and flawless between Adobe CC and the new MAC PRO. But Don't you think after the first case which was mine, now with more people having the similar issue, Adobe gurus should look into it? I mean, I have all sorts of problems exporting with the GPU OPEN CL and with the software only I do not. On top of that, with my MacBook pro if I try the same with option works well. Never Crashes...So, there is something wrong with the new Mac Pro using the GPU resources after the export is longer than a couple of hours or so...Short Exports work fine, the problem is when you do longer exports. Apple Say they are looking into it, but they do not have any problems with FINAL CUT X, and since Adobe is a 3rd party software, is ADOBE who should be looking into that, Not APPLE.

Does it make sense what I am saying, or am I here the crazy guy trying to make sense of this?

I think Adobe should strongly look into this and give us an update or so, instead of washing their hands that it all works perfect, when It does not. I was the first case ever, worldwide...Not anymore, people are having the same issue and I waited for this moment just to make sure I was not the only lunatic, or black sheet that got a bad Mac Pro. Something is wrong, and thats for sure...

Alain

• 36. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                              Lou Colt Level 1

I absolutely agree with alainmaiki!

We have our new MacPro sinca about 6 weeks. We use PPro CC and AE CC in combination. The problems are this big, that we can't use the new MacPro anymore for the daily workflow and we step back to our old MacPro 2010 and the Retina MacBook Pro.

We're in touch with adobe support, but they do not feel to take our problems seriously. Support says: " We can't help you this day.. Maybe some day an update of CC will eliminate the problems.."! Perfect, thank you guys - we are a professional video studio and we NEED to have a system, that allows a fast workflow...

Please, Adobe - set the MacPro problems to highest priority in developping!

Thank you.

• 37. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                                tpf1952 Level 1

I am in the same position as Mr. Colt. My new MacPro was rendered - no pun intended - unusable with Premiere Pro and After Effects CC. A clean reinstall of OSX followed by a reinstallation of Creative Cloud applications made little difference. I've returned the Mac Pro to Apple and have ordered another. In the mean time, my Retina MPB continues to keep my doors open. C'mon Adobe team, keep the pedal to the metal.

Tom

• 38. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                                  alainmaiki Level 1

Tom! let us know when u test your new mac pro that is on your way. As soon as I finish editing my feature film soon, I will contact apple for replacement. It is unacceptable, I am very frustrating that neither Apple nor Adobe care about this...Think about it, Kevin and the other guys are not answering any of our humble complaints...I love Adobe, Period! but this is dragging my workflow big time and it was a tough purchase to spend 7k on a Computer to then see it crashing 9 out of 10 times when I export Red Raw 4k...even when I export Red Raw to 720p for christ sake. it's very frustrated but I am positive and sure that a fix will come out soon, and Apparently it is like the Malasia Plane...all a mistary...everyone at adobe won't talk...they'll fix it... everyone's forgets about it...Life goes on!!! I have no problem with that...I hope it happens soon... Premiere Pro CC on timeline is awesome with 4k, but now with maverick latest update, guest what? We get bars and artifacts also on the timeline...Go figure...

• 39. Re: Premiere Pro CC and the New Mac Pro (2014)
                                                                                    KB8WFH Level 1

We have a Mac Pro and have been using it to edit our feature length cinema bound documentary film. The Mac Pro has had a few quirks because of OS X goof, but nothing major. As for speed, this system is a real screamer with Premiere CC. It does not even flinch with multiple files of 4K RAW video playing concurrently. Editing our footage has been very fast, no dropped frames and in full resolution.

The media composer is also extremely fast. We rendered a 20 minute 2K timeline in 18 minutes. On my iMac, this would have taken hours. Larry Jordan has some articles on the Mac Pro and its speed with media encoder. He notes that both Apple Compressor and Adobe Media Composer each have some places where one does better than the other, AND neither seems to be perfectly optimized for the Mac Pro, but both soon will be. Even so, Media Encoder does extremely well with it and is at least as fast and usable as Compressor.

Lastly, I moved from FCPX to Adobe Premiere and have not looked back. FCPX might now finally be stable,but when I started with it, it was extremely unstable and cause a lot of headaches. I can say from experience that Premiere, especially on the Mac Pro is extremely stable and reliable. Like I said, a few quirks, but nothing major.

1 2 3 Previous Next