32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2014 5:23 PM by Love_Green_Turtles

Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

Love_Green_Turtles

I recently migratated all my pictures and projects from one computer to another, new one.

Working with PE12.

I'm trying to render a project that I have created, but when I hit the enter key, or even select "Render Work Area" from the Timeline menu, instead of rendering, it plays back the project.

Anyone knows what is going on?! please?

• 1. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Love_Green_Turtles,

Thanks for Posting on Adobe forums,

If the timeline plays instead of rendering, it means that you do not need rendering.

Regrads,

Sandeep

Message was edited by: Sandeep Singh

• 3. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

But, I would ask, when you try to render the Timeline content

a. Is there a no colored line over the Timeline content, orange line, or green line?

b. Are the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar positioned to span the whole Timeline content to be rendered?

(The Work Area Bar is the gray area just above the orange render indicator line in the screenshot.)

Render.JPG

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Green_Turtles,

For more info on Rendering of the Timeline, also see this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4068277#4068277

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                Love_Green_Turtles Level 1

ATR,

You seem to nail it on the head.

The line over the timeline remains orange,

The grey bars are,I have moved the to span the whole project, then only a small subset of...no difference.

What do you think?

• 6. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

Bill,

The color of the bar is Orange. What does that signifies?

• 7. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Thanks for the reply.

If you have an orange line over the Timeline (in the location that I pointed to in the screenshot) AND the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar are set to span the content under that orange line, then the program is indicating that you need to render the that TImeline content to get the best possible preview of what plays back from the Timeline in the monitor.

You do not have to render the Timeline, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is particularly helpful when working with titles, transitions, effects, and non native formats.

Recap...

When you go to hit

Render button above the Timeline

or

Press the Enter Key of the Computer Main Keyboard

or

Go to Timeline Menu/Render Work Area Bar

What is happening...are you just getting play back, no turning of the orange line to green?

If you have no colored line or a green line, your rendering will not take place. Rendering gives you the best possible preview, but those two rendering indicators are telling you that you have the best possible preview already. It is only the orange lined content that can be rendered. That orange line is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview and to get it you need to render that Timeline content.

If the situation is as just said, what happens if you go to a new product. Does the same problem persist?

ATR

• 8. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Green_Turtles,

An orange, or yellowish-orange line ABOVE the Clips indicate that for the smoothest possible playback, one needs to Render that part of the Timeline.

Now, there are considerations:

The playback might be more than adequate, without Rendering. I have many Projects, with that line, that I never bother to Render, as things are good enough, without it. However, and especially if I am doing Keyframing of Effects, I might Render that area many times, to see exactly what I have done, and if it works perfectly.

Going back, if the initial placement of a Clip displays that yellow line, then it indicates a mis-match between the Clip, and the Project Preset - something to consider closely.

If, however, it appears later on, it usually indicates that something has changed, such as an Overlay, which might be a PiP, a Title, or similar, or that an Effect has been added. Also, portions of a Clip might display the yellow line, when a Transition is added.

Still Images can display the yellow line, as they need to be "translated" into synthetic Video - they are Stills, but will become Video, at output.

Again, I often have entire Projects, with yellow lines, but I still get adequate playback, but might Render a small segment of Keyframed Effects many dozens of times, as I tweak a particular segment of the Timeline.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

It is late where I am so I will not go full scale on the following comment, maybe in the morning.

But, I need to speak out about

The playback might be more than adequate, without Rendering

True. But consider, there are those occasions when the unrendered Timeline which looks good may look not so good after rendering to get the best possible preview. It is the rendered "the not so good" which would be indicative of what you have and probably will have after export.

Previewing is not going to fix problems, it is just warning you of problems.

Again, you do not have to render the Timeline content which has the orange indicator line above it, but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. And, yes it can be very time consuming.

More in the morning if necessary.

ATR

• 10. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR and Bill

You're correct.  no matter which way I try to render the timeline, it simply plays it back instead of actually rendering the area.  No matter which way I try (Hit enter, click on render button, etc..). 

This is what puzzled me to begin with and prompted me to post this question.  The bar is orange for the entire 55 minutes of the project.

On the side note, and perhaps this could give you all the clue to solve the mystery.    This project, along with all the pictures, movies, preview files etc were on my old computer.  I moved all of it to this new computer and proceeded to delete all of the rendered files (Timeline\Delete All Rendered Files for All Projects).  I have not made any changes to the project from before it all resided on the old computer, to where it is now - and loaded on the new computer.  All files/ media load fully and without any problem.  The playback looks smooth.  But the whole project now has an Orange bar accross the whole timeline.  So, I thought to myself: "Ok, let me render the project" and that's where the weirdness surface. It won't render.

• 11. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                            nealeh Level 5

Love_Green_Turtles wrote:

I have not made any changes to the project from before it all resided on the old computer

It might be worthwhile just making a simple change, maybe add a transition (you can always take it out after), just to force PRE12 to recognise a change HAS been made.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 12. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

Hi Naeleh,

Nice to hear back from.  Good suggestion, and I did try to add couple of transitiions and zoom out of one of the pictures.  It made no difference, the bar remains solid orange everyone, even right at the timeline that I made these new changes.

is this Bizzare? of is this indicates that this computer has so much horsepower that it really doesn't need to be rendered?  I don't know.

• 13. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Green_Turtles,

Quick question: where is your WAB (Work Area Bar) set on the Timeline?

If it's set to a small area of the Timeline, only that will Render.

This Tips & Tricks article goes into a bit more detail on the WAB: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5170142#5170142

Might not have anything to do with your issue, but it's worth checking out early on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

OK, A very interesting observation guys.

If I create a brand new project and I hit render, the orange line turns green.   But it seems like the old project that I migrated from my old computer, even if I make modifications to it, does not render and the bar remains orange.

ATR, you had a good suggestion to try a new project and see what happens.

Now what?

• 15. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                    nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to just live with it, knowing that new projects will work as expected.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 16. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Thanks for the reply.

Let try some of the following maneuvers

1. I am assuming that you are working in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 12. If so, the go to the Quick workspace and try each of the following

a. Hit the Render button above the Filmstrip there

b. Go to Timeline Menu/click on Render Work Area

c. Press Enter key of the computer main keyboard

Did the rendering dialog come up at any time? When you went back to the Expert workspace, was there now a green line instead of an orange line over the TImeline content spanned by the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar?

2. Make a copy of the problem project (File Menu/Save A Copy and renaming it). Open the copy and determine if you can render the Expert workspace Timeline content of that of the Quick workspace Filmstrip.

3. Have you cleared out the preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews FIle Folder for this problem project? Double check on that. How much free space is there at the location where you have this Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder? Next, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Datebase and hit the Clean button there to get rid of conformed video files.

4. Next, delete the Premiere Elements 12's settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. The route to it in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited.

Just starting my day. We will be watching for further developments. I will be thinking about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Leaving the whys behind can lead to more of the same. So, unless you are in a time crunch to get this project out, let us not give up just yet.

• 17. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR,

I'm very glad you jumped back in.  So, thank you.

I've done everything you have suggested, and I'm getting the same issue.  However, there is one observation that could help you further narrow it down.

I'm going to respond to all your suggestions, point-by-point below in order to help you - help me- the best I can

1. I am assuming that you are working in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 12. If so, the go to the Quick workspace and try each of the following [ Correct]

a. Hit the Render button above the Filmstrip there  [done]

b. Go to Timeline Menu/click on Render Work Area  [done]

c. Press Enter key of the computer main keyboard  [done]

Did the rendering dialog come up at any time? [YES, (and this has been happening all along), when I try to render, in any of the 3 ways above, I do see a window pop up for a millisecond and then it disappears.  I hightly suspect that it is the "render" window that is attempting to open, but just goes away for some reason.

When you went back to the Expert workspace, was there now a green line instead of an orange line over the TImeline content spanned by the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar? [no, still orange coolor]

2. Make a copy of the problem project (File Menu/Save A Copy and renaming it). Open the copy and determine if you can render the Expert workspace Timeline content of that of the Quick workspace Filmstrip.

3. Have you cleared out the preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews FIle Folder for this problem project? [YES, manually went inside the Adobe Premiere E Previews File and deleted everything] Double check on that. How much free space is there at the location where you have this Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder? [Plenty of space is left ~ 230GB] Next, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Datebase and hit the Clean button there to get rid of conformed video files.  [Hit the clean button, twice]

4. Next, delete the Premiere Elements 12's settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. The route to it in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited.  [Wend all the way inside the 12.0 folder, but did not see any file called Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs, so deleted the whole 12.0 folder instead as you suggested]

Just starting my day. We will be watching for further developments. I will be thinking about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Leaving the whys behind can lead to more of the same. So, unless you are in a time crunch to get this project out, let us not give up just yet [ I am not in any rush to get this out, and I not giving up if you aren't .   I can tell you like to solve puzzles and I thank you for it.]

• 18. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turles

Thanks for the reply. In the spirit of never give up.....

a. Further details on locating that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

12Folder.JPG

If you had Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives set, you should have seen the above in the 12.0 Folder that is in the Premiere Elements Folder. Please check out the path again as shown at the top of the screenshot.

View of the computer's Folder Options dialog...

Folder Options.JPG

Now back to the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace that will not render

I am assuming that your Expert workspace consists of just Video 1 content. If I am correct on that, then please proceed.

a. From Project Assets, drag some new media to the Timeline Video 2, directly above the Video 1 content that will not render. Then try the 3 ways to render that Timeline content

• Hit the Render button above the Filmstrip there 
                                          • Go to Timeline Menu/click on Render Work Area
                                          • Press Enter key of the computer main keyboard

Does the Render dialog open, is rendering done, and does the orange line above the Timeline tracks turn green?

Then if you remove, the content from Video 2, does that line above the Video 1 content remain green?

and look at

b. Move all the Video 1 content to Video 2 or higher and try the three ways to render that content now on a new video track.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR,

The project involved more than just Video 1, in some instences, up to 6 or 7 video/audio

Capture.JPG

Now, there may be in an interesting discovery here.  I went back through the directory path all the way to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

And I noticed that there were two Adobe Premiere folders (see below):

Adobe folders.JPG

one is called Premiere Elements, the other one is called Premiere Elements 12.0.  I drilled into both, only the folder called Premiere Elements (not the Premiere Elements 12.0) had the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in it.    I proceeded to delete that file prefs file.

Then, restarted PE12, attempted to render, no chance. Same thing, the render window appeared for a millisecond, then disappeared and playback started.

So, I went back in the 12.0 folder and deleted the whole folder.  Reran PE12, hit Render button, same issue.  no rendering......

• 20. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

In the path cited, the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is where you found it, that is, in the 12.0 Folder which is in the Premiere Elements Folder. I think that you detoured off the path as you went from Local Disk C to Users Folder to Owner Folder to AppData Folder to Roaming Folder to Adobe Folder to the next step.

You do not want the Premiere Elements 12 Folder in the Adobe Folder. You want the Premiere Elements Folder in the Adobe Folder. And in that latter Premiere Elements Folder has in it the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Thanks for looking at that. Sorry that did not work. But, I have something else for you to explore. Thanks for that great Timeline screenshot.

1. Think about your Timeline in terms of 4 or 5 envisioned portions.

a. Place the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just portion 1. Try to render that portion. Go or No Go?

b. Place the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just portion 2. Try to render that portion. Go or No Go?

c, d, e. Repeat.

That hope is that there will be one portion of the Timeline that has a problem. Wishful thinking, but worth exploring.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

Good suggestion.

Did segment the whole project into 5 different segments (i.e.as defined by the grey tabs), sequencially, along the length of the timeline.  Hit render each time and I'm sorry to say, I didn't detect any one segment that worked independently - in terms of rendering occuring.

• 22. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Sorry the news was not better. I had high hope for that last scheme. But, not ready to give up just yet.

Do want to try another approach? If so,

It looks like your have content on 5 of the video tracks. Make about 2 copies of the problem project (File Menu/Save A Copy). Give each copy a unique title. Assuming that you have 5 video tracks with content

Open the 1st Copy..

1. First Delete Video 5 content. Can you render the Timeline content?

2. Then Delete Video 4 content. Can you render the Timeline content?

3. Then Delete Video 3 content. Can you render the Timeline content?

4. Then Delete Video 2 content. Can you render the Timeline content?

5. Then Delete Video 1 content. Can you render the Timeline content?

If we get good news from any of that, great. If not,

Open the 2nd copy

1. Delete all the audio from the project. Can you render the Timeline content?

ATR

• 23. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR - Captain...

Deleted all video 5s.... hit render.  Not rendering;  proceeded sequencially down to Videos on tracks 4, 3, 2, 1.  one by one, no rendering function.

Deleted all audio tracks, no difference either.

I'm not giving up if you aren't

• 24. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                      nealeh Level 5

To go to an extreme:

1. In one of the copies delete everything from both timeline AND Project Assets.
                                                      2. Save the file.
                                                      3. Load one of the Assets back onto the timeline.
                                                      4. Apply an adjustment.
                                                      5. Save the Project.

Does render work now?

If it still doesn't it suggests to me there is something fundamentally wrong with the converted .prel file.

And if you really want to get to the bottom of it, create a new project, add the same Asset as in 3 above and the same adjustment as in 4 and render it. Now compare the two .prel files  and look for differences. You could eyeball this, but you're probably better off using one of the many free Windows differencing utilities (e.g. WinMerge).

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale

• 25. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Challenging. But, have not given up.

You have already established that going to a new project allows you to render or not render according to the classical rendering indicators.

and

Deleting the source media of the problem project track by track does not solve the problem.

Subtracting out, that leaves us with the shell of the problem project.prel file to target next.

The next step was going to be along the that line, namely, taking a copy of the original and deleting all the content from it Timeline and Project Assets and then importing media into the Timeline. Not just any media, but whatever you brought into the new project that you ran before and saw no problems. So the comparision will be between

a. the new project that you ran before with media files and could render as indicated by the rendering line color system

and

b. the shell project with the exact same media file that you brought into "a" for that test.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...When you have not been able to render in the problem project, when you go to Timeline Menu/, do you find the Render Work Area and or Deleted Rendered Files choices active?

• 26. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

Ok. this will take me some time.

Stay tuned please

• 27. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. Much appreciated.

We will be watching for your progress whenever you get a chance.

I am thinking positive thoughts but also going into gear just in case be need to advance closer to a plan x, y, and z.

ATR

• 28. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR,

I think I'm going to use the CopyMate trick you shared with me a while back and copy everything into a new project shell and then try to see if it renders.  What do you think?

• 29. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

It is about 1:30 am where I am, and I was about to call it a day when I say your post.

I think it best to reply in the light of day. I will re-read your entire thread then and to give you my best call on what next.

Until then,

ATR

• 30. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

OK.  I have a success to report.

I used ClipMate to copy over all of the clips from the old project into a new one.  I lost of the transitions, but now....... drum roll..... it DOES render. 

I got some work to do we some of the transitions, but by far not as much as recreating this whole think.  

I have no idea what the issue was, but at least it is rendering

• 31. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Love_Green_Turtles

Thanks for the great news of success. Great job.

The later I stay up at night, the later I get up, and the longer it takes for me to catch up with the current day.

Sorry I did not get to your thread earlier than this.

It is so frustrating when we cannot get a handle on the whys and have to go over to a new project. But,

you are now able to move forward with your project.

You did a great job with ClipMate used in conjunction with Premiere Elements. That last step in the procedure "Copy/Paste Insert" can be tricky at times.

Continued success.

Best wishes

ATR

• 32. Re: Hitting enter key or choosing "render work area" no rendering occurs

ATR,

Thank you.  I wouldn't have been able to think of this potential solution if it wasn't because of the forum community and specifically, your prior recommendation on using ClipMate.

Now tha I had time to look more closely at the pasted clips, I must say that the transitions are pretty much perfectly preserved.   There are minor stuff that got altered, such as the font size of the rolling credit and the DVD menu and chapter titles etc all need to be redone.  But definately worth it.

Again thank you all.

Best.

perhaps we'll chat again.  Cheers from California.