15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 8:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

BestVideoMemories

I have been using Photoshop Elements and Premierre Elements for 6+ years but continue to get this error with 12.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well... what are the details of your slideshow?

Especially your picture size in pixel x pixel size and your output setting?

• 2. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
            BestVideoMemories Level 1

Hi John.  Oh my, how would I figure that out? 

I save my scanned pictures and then after fixing them, put them into a slideshow.  The only output setting I see is Preview Playback Options as "High". 

I can't figure out how to answer your questions. 

• 3. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OK... some notes about pictures and Premiere Elements

Pictures that are "overly" large may cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

And even PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 4. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideoMemories

Please let us know the title of the dialog that you get when you get the "Fix quality problems in clips". I am guessing it will be "Smart Fix" which automatically comes up unless you take measures to prevent that.

1. In Premiere Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and disable the options there.

2. When and if the message appears when you drag a clip to the Timeline, in this order, put a check mark next to do not show this message again and click the No option to the fix offer.

If you ever need to see that message for whatever reason, then go to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General and put a check mark next to "Show all do not show again messages".

That should take care the matter that I believe that you have presented.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

John - I will read those references.  Thanks.

ATR - You are correct, it is "Smart Fix".  Whether I select Yes or No to that question, either way, the video clip is added to the timeline, but it requires rendering.  That is actually what I am trying to prevent.  It doesn't happen all of the time, but it has only started happening with my upgrade from 11 to 12.  Perhaps it is because I cannot scan the photos directly from PSE12 like I used to do with all previous versions of PSE?

J.

• 6. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideoMemories

You probably have, but a just in case reply.

Go through in sequence

a. Turn Off All the MediaAnalysis options in Elements Organizer preferences. See my prior post.

b. When the message appears, first the check mark for Do Not Show..... and then the click on No.

I have found that the above is not always a forever fix, but it lasts a while.

Getting this automatic feature Smart Fix disabled is important since it can apply a variety of effects to your photos that unenhance rather than enhance the photo. Check out Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palatte/ and any effects panels added there after one of these "Smart Fix" operations.

We might even consider incorporating a deletion of the Premiere Elements Editor settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs) in the scheme of things to disable Smart Fix for long periods if not forever.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not do the job, then you can delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path cited.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

I turned off all of the "Media Analysis button options in Elements Organizer.  I then re-created the slideshow, saved it as a windows movie file, then imported it in Premierre 12.  I got the stupid SmartFix error again.  I didn't check the box because I was concerned that there really is a problem.  Whether I selected Yes or No, either way the file required rendering.  I then tried to add 5 other slideshow movie files I had created with PSE11 and everyone of them caused the SmartFix error message and every one of them required me to render the file.

I never had to render any of the files with PSE11 and PS11.  Not sure what to do next to avoid the rendering issue.

J.

• 8. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideoMemories

Let us put the Smart Fix message on hold for a moment.

...Avoid the Rendering Issue....

short answer: for first drag, have the correct project preset if possible..for after an edit, no way to avoid that.

longer answer:

About those .wmv files (slideshows) that you are importing into Premiere Elements 12...... Premiere Elements 12, like version 11, is designed to take over setting the project preset. It does so based on the properties of the first video drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it correctly. Sometimes not. And, when not, it gives you its default 1080i, not the closest it can find for a match between the existing project presets and the properties of your source media.

When the program cannot find the match, that first video drag presents on the Timeline with an orange line over it indicating that you need to render that Timeline content to get the best possible preview.

Please give this a try...use the Elements Organizer 12 to create some mini test run slideshows. Output them to Premiere Elements 12 with the Elements Organizer 12 Output command Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

compare

If you must use the Premiere Elements 11 slideshows in Premiere Elements 12, make sure that they are saved to the Elements Organizer 11 as Slide Show Projects. Then convert the Elements Organizer 11 catalog in Elements Organizer 12 and output the slideshow with the Edit with Premiere Elements Editor.

compare

the above with what you have been doing and results obtained.

Project Preset reading...

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

Maybe it's me, but I read all the attachments and tried the recommended solutions and I continue to have to render each of the slideshow imports from PSE12 to PS12. 

• 10. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideoMemories

How are you sending those slideshows into Premiere Elements 12....as wmv or with the Edit with Premiere Elements command which sends them as non wmv files (psess)?

If the program does not have a project preset to match its match project preset/slideshow properties criteria, you are always going to see the orange line over the Timeline content with all the implications that come with it, namely, render to get the best possible preview.

After you import the slideshow into the Premiere Elements project, see if you can get its properties by right clicking the slideshow in Project Assets and selection Properties to get the reading there. And, then we can better gauge what is actually going on in our search for a match between project settings (project preset) and source media properties.

The answer may be to set the project preset manually according to what we see as the slideshow properties and then move the Elements Organizer slideshow into that Premiere Elements project with the project settings set manually. Let us see.

But I need to be sure of the details that I inquired about in this post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                              nealeh Level 5

BestVideoMemories wrote:

I got the stupid SmartFix error again.

As an aside, as no-one else has mentioned it, this is not actually an error, but an information message asking if you want PRE to try and improve the image quality. You can safely turn it off if you never want to use it. If you later want it back you can turn messages back on in preferences.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 12. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideo Memories

Bottom lines:

a. Render the Elements Organizer slideshow on the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline if you want the best possible preview and move on in the project.

b. Try to disable the Smart Fix or ignore it and say No, it is a red herring in this matter of rendering the Timeline content.

c. Create a .wmv version of the Elements Organizer slideshow and import that into a new Premiere Elements project manually set for a project preset that matches the properties of your .wmv.

Please read on for the long detailed version:

Whatever descriptive adjective you give or do not give Smart Fix, for you it is a nusiance that you have not been able to disable by the usual means that I have described back in post 4. I suspect that you perceive an association between the appearance of the message and the existance of the orange render indicator over the Elements Organizer slideshow when it is automatically placed on the Premiere Elements Timeline with the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor command "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor".

This morning I did some first hand homework on this with in Premiere Elements 12 and 10.

Premiere Elements 12 Elements Organizer 12

1. The orange render indicator is unaffected by Smart Fix message appearance/disablement and whether you say Yes or No to Smart Fix message if it appears. So, it is a "red herring" if your quest is to get rid of the "need for rendering" that is indicated by the program's orange line over your Elements Organizer slideshow (.psess) when the file is on the Premiere Elements workspace Timeline.

2. Whether or not you set the Premiere Elements project preset before you use the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output command "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor", that non wmv (.psess) version of the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor's slideshow will arrive on the Premiere Elements Timeline with the orange rendering indicator above it,  implying the need to render that content to get the best possible preview of what you have there. I have found no way to escape this type of thing in version 12 or 10 which I used for comparison.

3. In all this and in the past, I have never been able to trigger the appearance of the Smart Fix message when the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor slideshow (.psess) first arrives on the Premiere Elements Timeline. So, I am not clear what in your .psess is triggering that. But, Smart Fix is an aside here and not the issue if the issue is the orange rendering indicator.

4. The program typically throws off the need to render message when it cannot match the properties of the media with one of its project presets. I am still trying to figure out which parameter is not being matched when I know that I have a 720 x 480 @ 29.97 slideshow going into a pre-set DV Standard Premiere Elements  project which includes 720 x 480 @ 29.97. One guess might be that the Pixel Aspect Ratio of the .psess is missing or not available (PAR = 0.9091) as it is in the project preset in this specific example.

5. Under these exact same conditions, if I select the Elements Organizer Slideshow Output option of Burn To Disc instead of Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, the wmv version of the slideshow produced and saved in that process can be imported into Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace and be dragged to the Timeline with no orange rendering indicator (in fact, no colored line).

Please review and then let me know if I need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

ATR,

Thanks for your continued help and detailed insight.  I will try them now and see how it works!

J.

• 14. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12

I believe I get it now and am able to check the properties of the files I am importing.  Your input was very helpful, thank you!

• 15. Re: Error message "Fix quality problems in clips?" when I import a slideshow created in PSE12 into PE12
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BestVideoMemories

Thanks for the update.

You did a great job sorting through the suggestions and troubleshooting.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR