3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 12:15 PM by Daniel Flavin

Data Merge Question

Wilma NCFEF

I have to create 130 separate pages that pull all their data from one spreadsheet. They are arranged by colums of data and then have a row identified by the district. I know I could separate the data for each row onto a indiv. sheet but that would take forever, is there a way I can use the column and row identifier to tell it to merge to a new document?

• 1. Re: Data Merge Question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your question isn't entirely clear to me. ID's data merge function works per record, and 1 row = 1 record, so if you need to separate data from a single row into multiple entries, Data Merge is not going to do it for you. It's possible XML, or one of the commercial catalog plugins might work, though.

• 2. Re: Data Merge Question
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Like Peter, I'm not sure I'm clear on your objectives, but the last part of your post, accounting for the context that precedes it, makes it sound like you want to merge each record (row) to a new, single-page document.

You can't do that, but you can merge one record per page, then export the resulting 130-page merged InDesign document to PDF, and use Acrobat's Extract Pages feature to bust it up into 130 single-page PDF's.

• 3. Re: Data Merge Question
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

fwiw, 130 seperate ID documents via limit records. Yes, Acrobat might be more appropriate, unless it were all 2 page documents.

Capture.JPG