18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 10:12 PM by Fuzzy Barsik

Day to night conversion

MXMXVR

Hi, this video below is the result I've being looking for, but it doesn't have a tutorial. Does anyone know how to obtain this marvelous result?

• 2. Re: Day to night conversion
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is nothing more than color correction. Blacks crushed, blue intensified, red reduced, mid-tone and highlight gamma reduced.

Here's a quick day for night compared with their results using only Levels Individual Controls and Hue Saturation where I give a little more visibility to the background and pull out a little more red.

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 6.35.51 AM.png

• 3. Re: Day to night conversion
            MXMXVR Level 1

I think the technique on the horse's digital movie works better than the other one posted by Todd_Kopriva; the result seems a shot from Didk Tracy movie or something like that. It's more beautiful in fact, but it's not so real! I have followed your technique and the results were disappointing! I've heard around the results depend on the aperture...If you have some time, I wish I could see your magic on my footage...

• 4. Re: Day to night conversion

One of the biggest problems with your footage and day for night is that the highlights are blown out. In other words, your footage is over exposed to start with. You can still do amazing things with just levels individual controls.

• 5. Re: Day to night conversion
                bogiesan Level 4

A search for "Day For Night" will yield dozens of samples and discussions on the interwebs. It is a common, terribly misunderstood and misapplied technique. Making a daylight shot into blue is easy, more or less, but convincing the audience the shot was acquired at night is not so easy. That takes planning and a great deal of understanding about the nature of light and how the eyes process the night. Your sample could only have taken place during the brightest of full moons, at zenith and under a totally clear sky. It's simply not realistic. Which means you must go for a type of stylization and that requires sophisticated filmmaking techniques that go way beyond the applicaiton of levels filters,

• 6. Re: Day to night conversion
                  MXMXVR Level 1

I agree with you, I have a long way ahead...The results are 70% footage and 30% post production. But I think the horse movie is a great result; what's the magic on it? It seems a casual daylight footage and color correction: nothing more than that. Did he placed some masks on the background and foreground and applied different color corrections on them? I think so, neither the camera, nor the horse move on the shot!!!

• 7. Re: Day to night conversion

My sample was nothing but color correction. Given a little time I could have precisely matched sample shot.

Your walk through the trees is not going to look as good because there are no details left in the highlights. I'd re-shoot, keep the scene backlit, and go from there.

• 8. Re: Day to night conversion
                      MXMXVR Level 1

That "walking through the woods" it's only a bad succeed test with the flycam 5000 and it's not important. I've read the comments posted on the horse video > That filmaker used masks with different color corrections > That's why it looks so good. I'll try a different shot with no camera movements and a small aperture...let's see how far I can go.

• 9. Re: Day to night conversion
                        bogiesan Level 4

MXMXVR wrote:

That "walking through the woods" it's only a bad succeed test with the flycam 5000 and it's not important. I've read the comments posted on the horse video > That filmaker used masks with different color corrections > That's why it looks so good. I'll try a different shot with no camera movements and a small aperture...let's see how far I can go.

A small aperture? Why would you do that? To control the exposure? Not a good idea.

The audience's perception of day for night relies on their acceptance of a convention that is decades old and has no basis in the reality of how the brain processes light at night. Among the early attempts to sell this idea were films of the American western genre from the 1950s. The photographers put deep blue filters on their cameras, worked under the desert sun and called it Night. It was all they could do using slow film stocks and limited lighting budgets. 

The increase in your shooting lens's apparent depth of field by using a reduced aperture will give you an unrealistic scene that can merely be turned blue. One's eyes open at night, not close down. Moonlight is not blue.

• 10. Re: Day to night conversion
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                          convincing the audience the shot was acquired at night is not so easy. That takes planning and a great deal of understanding about the nature of light and how the eyes process the night.

Go along with David.

Get a copy of the Color Correction Handbook by Alexis Van Hurkman - aside from being a great book for understanding colours it contains the dedicated Day-for-Night section explaining pre- and post-production for this type of shots in greater details.

• 11. Re: Day to night conversion
                            MXMXVR Level 1

...reducing the iris gave me a promising effect; I have not seen the blue filter effect! I was asking myself about night shootingt using a DSLR with high ISO; I know the results are great in still images, but is it possible using the high ISO resources on night shooting? Would it work better than post production effects?

• 12. Re: Day to night conversion
                              MXMXVR Level 1

I have this book, I'm reading it, but I want to understand all the other chapters before reaching to chapter 10...day-for-night treatments, page 471. Yes, it's a great book, but I saw on chapter 01 that the author doesn't work with the very same hardware and software from the mortals. Isn't my computer and AE enough to obtain a professional result? Am I dreaming too high?

• 13. Re: Day to night conversion

Any compositing, color correction, just about anything you have seen on TV or in the movies can be done with After Effects using basic elements created with a camera, a 3D app, or an illustration app. My friend Jayse Hansen just posted this on Vimeo. According to him "It's pretty much all Illustrator>C4d>After Effects (and Element 3d!) >Nuke for composite"  (Just a little FYI, The composite could have been done in AE, Nuke is just faster and requires a whole lot less rendering time. (note: I'd watch it on Vimeo and follow the link to Jayse's work for shot breakdowns)

You are not dreaming too high, it just takes time to learn how to do all this stuff. Some folks say that it takes 10,000 hours to become expert at anything. That's 5 years at 40 hours a week....

• 14. Re: Day to night conversion
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                  I saw on chapter 01 that the author doesn't work with the very same hardware and software from the mortals. Isn't my computer and AE enough to obtain a professional result? Am I dreaming too high?

You probably missed what was said in the Introduction. Although the Chapter 1 is dedicated to setting up professional colour correction environment, the book itself is intended to be platform and software independent manual and explains principles, understanding which you will be able to do colour correction possessing any toolset at hand. And After Effects ships with an outstanding Color Finesse plug-in, within which you can speak the same, common for colourists, language.

...reducing the iris gave me a promising effect

As David said (and the Day-for-Night chapter starts with that), a spectator's eyes are wide open at night, not closed. If you're not ready to do post part of the job described in the Handbook, read at least what is said about shooting.

• 15. Re: Day to night conversion
                                    MXMXVR Level 1

I've never seen so many elements on the screen at the same time since the big explosion from Toy story III.  I took a look at the trailer from the movie Gravity; it seems his style too...

About the software and hardware...on the book Color corretion the author mentions platforms like CP200, Da Vinci's Resolve, Quantel's Pablo and softwares like Autodesk's lustre, Irida's etc...they seem to be resources developed specifically for colour correction, so I thought multi purposes softwares like AE were not so good at this point...

Nuke was the only software that I already knew... The author Mark Christiansen says something like that too.

Well, 10.000 hours...let's see if it works!

• 16. Re: Day to night conversion
                                      MXMXVR Level 1

...Who is this David you are talking about?

• 17. Re: Day to night conversion

You can do amazing color correction in Adobe After Effects. It just takes a little longer than in a dedicated color corrector like da Vinci's resolve or Quantel's Pablo.

• 18. Re: Day to night conversion
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                          ...Who is this David you are talking about?

bogiesan. It's easy to notice that I quoted his comments.