13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 10:52 AM by DMLL927

PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1

Shan McArthur

I reinstalled my machine with Windows 8.1 and just now got around to installing Premier Elements 10.  I can't get it to work at all.  The install went fine, but there are many bugs in the screens, but most importantly, the preview window does not show any video as I am moving through the timeline.  I can hear the movies fine but not see them.  That makes this completely useless as a video editing product.  I tried updates but there are none.  Is there any secrets to getting Premier Elements running on Windows 8.1?

• 1. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Shan McArthur

I have Premiere Elements 10 installed on Windows 8.1 64 bit and it works great. The computer's video card is Intel Graphics HD.

Premiere Elements 10 users whose computers have NVIDIA video cards have been target for display issues. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe is taking any corrective actions in that regard. The user to user fix is to roll back the video card driver version far enough to get the display issues to disappear.

So, please let us know if your computer is using a NVIDIA video card. If so, then please review the history on this type of epidemic that has hit Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA users.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
            Shan McArthur Level 1

Yes, I have a Lenovo laptop with an nVidia card.  I need to use 327.02 as a minimum driver version because the laptop will blue screen when I go into presentation mode, but it looks like the last stable driver is 320.49.

So what should I do?  Do I need to find another video editing software vendor?  It looks like Adobe doesn't have a fix for this.  It is unclear as to whether newer versions of Adobe will work.

• 3. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Shan McArthur

The Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issue has presented to date as being specific for the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card users. I have not seen similar reports for other versions.

Is it possible for you to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 and determine if your problem still exist in this same computer environment in which Premiere Elements 10 has problems? I am not recommending purchase of that product at this time....just use of it as a troubleshooting tool.

If the tryout works for you in your computer environment, then you can decide what is in your best interests to do.

Have you talked to Lenovo about an alternative video card/graphics card for your specific Lenovo computer and the important question "How much?"

If your issue is as I suspect, I do not see NVIDIA nor Adobe doing anything about it. The only fix to date has been a user to user one where the driver version is rolled backed instead of updated to the latest version.

Please let us know of your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                Shan McArthur Level 1

I installed the same version of PE10 on my other laptop, which is equipped with an Intel video card and not an nVidia card and can confirm that it does work.  There definately seems to be a bug with PE10 and nvidia.  I wish that Adobe would fix this!!!

• 5. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>wish that Adobe would fix this!!!

Don't hold your breath... version 10 is OLD  and the problem is with newer nVidia drivers... click the link ATR provided in reply #1

• 6. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Shan McArthur

Thanks for the follow up with the good news part about Premiere Elements 10 working for you when it was run on your computer with a video card other than NVIDIA.

Since we discussed the matter previously, have you noticed the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Announcement which I wrote and which appears at the top of the Premiere Elements Forum. That is the latest on the information on this situation. No actions from NVIDIA nor Adobe are foreseeable.

Announcement: Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back can be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.

I wish the prognosis were better, but, for the Premiere Elements 10 user, NVIDIA video card driver roll back seems the only answer we are going to get on this issue.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                      DMLL927

Do you know if this same issue occurs with Premier Elements 11?

• 8. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DMLL927

If you are referring to the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue, then be advised that this problem is very specific for Premiere Elements 10.

Premiere Elements 11 has not been reported to be afflicted by this display syndrome which requires roll back of a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card driver version to around May 2013.

Please confirm that the above is the information that you are seeking.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                          DMLL927 Level 1

That was a typo.  I do have Premiere Elements 10 but unfortunately, I cannot roll back to previous NVIDIA drivers, since I do not have any.  Interestingly, Premier elements worked beautifully before on this machine, so not sure what happened if this is not a driver issue.

• 10. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DMLL927

Thanks for the follow up.

From what you wrote you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

When I asked about NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card driver version, you wrote

I cannot roll back to previous NVIDIA drivers, since I do not have any.

I am interpreting that to mean that your computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, but there are no older drivers available

for this card. Is that correct? Or does your computer use another brand of card such as ATI or Intel?

If I am correct in my interpretation of what you wrote, do you have access to an alternative brand video card/graphic card for your computer if you want to stay with Premiere Elements 10?

ATR

Add On....almost forgot to ask, do you have this display issue if you use jpg photos or another video format for source media instead of what you are using now for source media?

• 11. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                              DMLL927 Level 1

There are no older drivers and I don’t have access to other video/graphics card.  If I upgrade to Premier 12, will I encounter the same problem as I have experienced with Premier 10?

• 12. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DMLL927

You should be free of the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA issue by using Premiere Elements 12 instead of 10.

But

a. Definitely go the free  30 day tryout route before purchase to assure the compatibility of Premiere Elements 12 with your computer environment and your project goals. You do not want to trade off one known problem for another.

b. Plan your strategy with regard to purchase....As of this time, Premiere Elements 12 is the current version. And, Adobe makes available the tryout as the current version. However, it is expected that a new version of the program will be released at the end of September 2014. No one but Adobe knows the feature set for the new version. That information is released at the moment that the new version is released to the public. After the new version is released it will be the version offered by Adobe for tryout.

Please let us know if any questions. And, please update us on your progress when you have the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: PE10 Doesn't work on Windows 8.1
                                  DMLL927 Level 1

Thank you for your help!