20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 2:14 PM by nealeh

Abode Premiere 11

cherich9 Level 1

I am using Ebode Premiere 11 on windows 7. The project I was working on began freezing and is now totally frozen.  After retarting my computer it will now not load.  Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: Abode Premiere 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Please supply more information about your project.

Is Premiere Elements 11 running on Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?

What is your project preset? (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if grayed out looking).

And, what are the properties of the source media that you imported into the project? Here we are looking for video and audio compresion, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio.

Also what is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded this video.

How far in the project are you before the freezing sets in? What are you doing in the project when the freezing sets in?

Please reply to the questions. Based on your reply, we will plan troubleshooting strategy customized to the issue that you present.

If questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Abode Premiere 11
            cherich9 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Please see below answers.

Cherich

• 3. Re: Abode Premiere 11
              the_wine_snob Level 9

cherich9,

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the answers attached to your post. Not sure how you were attempting to attach them, but if they are text, you should just be able to Copy, then Paste them into the forum reply editing screen.

If they are Images, say JPEG, or PNG, then you can attach those via the little "camera icon," in the middle of the forum editing screens Toolbar. Note: this is usually not possible if one is accessing the forum via an e-mail client, or mobile device's app - only via a Web browser.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Thanks for the reply. For some reason your details in the message did not get posted.

Please try again. Hunt has posted some suggestions for posting in this regard.

We will be watching for your details.

Please try again.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                  cherich9 Level 1

Sorry for incorrect post.  The following applies;

32 bit system

Project Preset:Frame MTS, Frame Size 1440 W 1080 H, Timebase 25 frames/second, editing mode HDV 1080i, Pixel Aspect Ratio HD Anomorphic 1080 (1.333)

Source Media: AVCHD Video, 25 frames/second, could not find other info.

Handycam Sony HDR-CX190. Settings are standard.

Previously I was able to complete projects and burn DVDs through Abode Premiere Elements.  SD Memory card used. The raw footage was saved to file on my computer.

The freezing starts about 40% to 50% in the project as I am editing the footage. I have been able to close the program and reopen to continue.  The last time I was at the end of editing it froze again and then the project would not reopen. 

I have now reinstalled Abode Premiere Elemnts and found that the file for the project that was saved on an external hard drive still won’t open so it is corrupted.  Other projects will open.

I have started again and worked on a new project for 8 minutes and saved it. Closed the program. When I reopened Premiere Elements it won’t open any projects (new or existing).

I think that the software is unreliable and not robust and that perhaps there may be other software on my computer that disrupts the operation of Premiere Elements.  I also have an apple PC, so I am considering trying the software on that or alternatle use my wifes new laptop running Windows 8.

This morning I tried again and the project did open and I was able to finish it and burn to DVD.  So I am at the point where I don't know why the program is so unrelaible. 

Thank you all for your attempt to help.  If you have any ideas that will settle down the software before I try the Apple, please let me know.  Much appreciated.

Cherich9

• 6. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

I just saw your latest post. It is almost 2 am where I am, and I best not give comments at this time. I will do so first thing in the morning.

But, point of clarification...when you say Apple PC, what is that..is that a Mac computer that also has Windows installed, like Boot Camp? Or do you just mean that you have a Mac computer?

Just keep in mind, Premiere Elements Mac projects are not compatible in Premiere Elements Windows and vice versa in case you do any cross checking of results between computers.

More later.

Thanks for the reply with the details.

ATR

• 7. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                      cherich9 Level 1

I have an apple IMAC and also the Premiere Elements DVD to suit Apple Mac.  So I am thinking it would work ok.

• 8. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                        nealeh Level 5

PRE11 allows you to install on two machines (provided they are not both in use at the same time). So yes you can install it on your Mac and see if that gives you any better performance while also leaving it on your PC hoping we can troubleshoot it for you.

Note though that you can't transfer Windows projects to Mac and vice-versa. Also note that the Mac version has less video and audio effects and transitions - http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=12342.

Finally can you explain what you mean by 'The freezing starts about 40% to 50%'. 40% to 50% of what - a burn process, rendering .... ?

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Lots to discuss.

1. Regarding

PRE11 allows you to install on two machines (provided they are not both in use at the same time). So yes you can install it on your Mac and see if that gives you any better performance while also leaving it on your PC

True, Adobe allows you to install the Premiere Elements 11 purchased serial number of only 2 of your computers. But, important modification of that thought is needed when what installation files or installation disc you obtained to get this purchased serial number.

a. If you purchased the boxed product, you will have an installation disc for Windows and one for Mac. Good. No problems.

b. If you purchased from an online download from Adobe, you will have installation files specific to either Windows or Mac, depending to which operating system the installation files were downloaded to.

2. Could you confirm what the properties are for the video that you are using from the Sony HDR-CX190. It is described as 1080p. Your project settings will not be correct if you are using 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project preset for 1080p footage.

a. Depending on your answer, we may also have to look at "Field Order, aka Scan Order" if you are dealing with interlaced video such as the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9. More on that later with more information from you on your video properties.

b. A quick way to gauge where we are with video properties is to import the video into an opened project, do not worry about the project preset, Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the video, select Properties, and see what the properties are, especially 1920 x 1080 versus 1440 x 1080.

3. What is the size of the project at this 40% mark when you begin to experience problems in the workflow? How many video, audio, narration, soundtracks have content and what duration? Any video stablilization going on? When the freezing sets in, is there an orange line over any or all of the content indicating that you are not getting the best possible preview?

Let us work through the above, ruling in or out factors and then we can decide what next in terms of the Premiere Elements 11 Mac counterpart project and other.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                            nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

a. If you purchased the boxed product, you will have an installation disc for Windows and one for Mac.

In Reply #7 cherich9 said:

I have an apple IMAC and also the Premiere Elements DVD to suit Apple Mac.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Please verify in your reply what the situation is with regard to installation files from download versus installation disc from boxed packaging of the product(s).

You wrote in post 7

I have an apple IMAC and also the Premiere Elements DVD to suit Apple Mac.

Does that mean that you have two installation discs with the same purchased serial number, one for Premiere Elements 12 Windows and one for Premiere Elements 12 Mac or something else?

I asked that question in post 10 in the way of the possible situtation and consequences.

It was not clear to me so I asked.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

The information provided by cherich9 was not clear to me and I did not want to take anything for granted that is why I brought up the matter to cherich9 in the first place.

And, I have posted to cherich9 again asking for clarification.

ATR

• 13. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                  cherich9 Level 1

ATR

I do have the boxed product so the disc can be loaded to the IMAC.

Will provide other information later.

Thanks

Cherich9

• 14. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Thanks for the confirmation.

Having a Premiere Elements 11 installation disc Windows and a Premiere Elements 11 installation disc Mac will give you greater flexibility in your plans.

ATR

• 15. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                      cherich9 Level 1

Hi ART,

The properties on the frame indicate it is 1440 x 1080

The project size was about 43 minutes of footage.  About 250 videos with various durations, mostly from a few seconds to one and a half minutes. The reason for this is that the SD card became corrupted and I needed to use a card recovery program to retrieve the videos. Unfortunately they were in small parts.  I don’t understand what is meant be video stabilising so it probably is not happening.  I am not aware of any orange line occurring.

Thanks

Cherich9

• 16. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                        nealeh Level 5

cherich9 wrote:

About 250 videos with various durations

As it's a Sony camera the free Sony Play Memories software would allow you to rejoin those 250 clips together. That might put less of a load on your system and improve stability.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Thanks for the reply.

Based on what you wrote, your Premiere Elements project preset would be

PAL

AVCHD

HD 1080i25

Check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio to assure that is the project preset cited above. The readout in preferences should look like this in your case

Project Settings.JPG

I am assuming that your file's audio is Stereo and not 5.1 channel. If any problems, you many have to assure the project preset by setting it manually if you are not doing that already.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

If your destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, you may have to take scan order of interlaced video into account. Your source probably has a scan order of Top Field First whereas Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by Bottom Field First. Two remedies if necessary

a. Use project preset

PAL

Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders

HD1080i25 (50i)

OR

b. Use project preset

PAL

AVCHD

HD 1080i25

and then in the opened project, when necessary, right click a clip to apply Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance.

Are your 250 video clips in a folder in sequence? If so, just import the whole folder into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Then drag the whole representation in Project Assets to the Timeline Video 1. When you do the 250 video clips with present in order on the Timeline. Once on the Timeline, you should be able to select any or all clips and group them with the project's Group command

Select Clips

Clip Menu

Group or Ungroup command

OR

Right click Selected Clips

From pop up select Group or Ungroup.

When I referred to VideoStablizer, I was referring to a video effect that can be added to clips if they are afflicted with the shaking camera syndrome. When this effect is applied to clips for that purpose of stablizing the video motion, the render times for that clip are markedly longer than when other types of video effects are applied to clips.

We can discuss the finer points of the above if interested.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 18. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                            cherich9 Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thank you for all your help with my Premiere Elements problem.  I have loaded the program on the iMac and it works really well with no issues.  I will deal with the other program on the windows machine and if I have any queries I will contact you.  Once again thank you

Cherich

• 19. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cherich9

Thanks for the update with the great news that Premiere Elements Mac is working well. Great job.

Your follow ups on the troubleshooting are much appreciated.

Please update us on your Premiere Elements Mac and Windows progress when you get a chance.

ATR

• 20. Re: Abode Premiere 11
                                                nealeh Level 5

Glad to hear that worked out for you.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale