4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2014 7:19 AM by the_wine_snob

What codec do I need for this AVI file?

fdnyfish

I can play this AVI on my PC, but it will not load into APE12.

Here is a screenshot of GSpot and a link to the AVI file.

any help is appreciated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16362986/ape12.avi

11.jpg

• 1. Re: What codec do I need for this AVI file?
          nealeh Level 5

I cannot get it to load natively either.

• What camera has it come from?

There has been another problematic format posted recently from a screen capture program that was also at 10 frames per second that gave PRE grief - probably coincidence.

As a workaround I tried converting ti to a few different formats. Converting it to .MOV with the free FormatFactory worked (although it initially imports as pure green until you render it) but not to .AVI or .MP4. Converting it to .MP4 with the commercial product Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate also worked and displayed immediately on adding it to the timeline (although the unusual vertical resolution of 960 meant PRE shows it as requiring rendering).

• Did the camera come with its own software to handle the footage?
          • If so can it save it out to other formats?
          • Do you have any options in the camera to change the recording format?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: What codec do I need for this AVI file?
            fdnyfish Level 1

It is from a ip camera on my security system.

I convert the avi to mp4 then load it into pe12 to trim or to merge multiple files.

Was looking for a way to do it direct from avi

Sent from my iPad3

• 3. Re: What codec do I need for this AVI file?
              nealeh Level 5

Can you change the recording format in the camera?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: What codec do I need for this AVI file?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, Premiere (neither Elements, or Pro) is not set up to look for the H.264 CODEC inside the AVI wrapper. This is not a common combo of CODEC and container. However, there are some camera mfgrs., who insist on using this non-standard arrangement.

If your security camera is not capable of changing the files, say to H.264 inside of an MP4, or MOV file, the conversion will likely be the only alternative.

If more camera mfgrs. use this scheme (not sure why they would, as H.264 inside an MP4, or similar is a standard), Adobe might re-code the program, so that it does "look" for H.264 inside an AVI. However, this might take a long time.

At least you have an alternative workflow, in case the camera's output cannot be changed to a more standard scheme.

Good luck,

Hunt