6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 8:07 AM by +Richard+

Grid expansion

+Richard+ Level 1

How to expand the grid, well over comp size?

• 1. Re: Grid expansion
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What grid? If you mean the grid effect simply increase the size of the solid. Otherwise you have to clarify what exactly you mean.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Grid expansion
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm confused???

Are you looking for Effects>Utility>Grow Bounds or Effects>Stylize>Motion Tile?

What are you trying to do?

• 3. Re: Grid expansion
              +Richard+ Level 1

I agree that the quetion frased, is open to several interpretations.

When a comp is viewed at say 25%, I like to have a reference grid, extending the comp size, occupying the 'grey part' of the comp screen, around the 25% view.

Now the grid grid is restricted to the comp - also at 25%. I like to move around, scale, zoom and still know where certain actions originate - outside of the comp size.

Is it possible to work that way?

• 4. Re: Grid expansion
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I still don't follow you exactly because of the 'extend the comp size' statement. A comp is always the size you create it and comps are always rendered using the active camera which is the top camera in a timeline if you have more than one.

When you view a comp at 25% you are still seeing the entire Active Camera view. The only thing you can see outside the comp area is a wireframe of the layer. That's it. I would not call the area outside the comp window a grid.

If you are working with 3D layers you can use the camera tools in the Custom View, Front, Top, Left, Right, or Back to see more of the 3D space in the comp. Custom views can also orbit to any angle so this may help with 3D projects but 2D layers will always fill the view.

This is actually the same behavior you get in a 3D app. If you set the view to the Camera the window is what the camera (active camera) sees, only in the other views can you move in and out to move things around that are not in the scene. Some 3D apps do give you a semi transparent area outside the (active) camera view, and this has been a feature request for AE for quite a while.

• 5. Re: Grid expansion
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick Gerard wrote:

Some 3D apps do give you a semi transparent area outside the (active) camera view, and this has been a feature request for AE for quite a while.

And, if you would like to see this become a part of AE, you should file a feature request. According to folks at Adobe, the numbers of requests matter.

• 6. Re: Grid expansion
                    +Richard+ Level 1

Thanks for the feedback. I followed your suggestion and filed a feature request.