9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 6:45 PM by Noel Carboni

New Exchange panel will not install

Oliver Sparrow

I came looking for a specific pattern. Nope, you have to download a panel. I downloaded it, clicked on it and a tiny panel with miniscule writing came up, gray on gray. I had to use a magnifying glass to read the text. "Exchange cannot instll" because a huge list of products might be needed and weren't there. But they were, Further, the panel had to be killed by Ctrl-Alt-Del.

This seems to be the Adobe Way. Throw away your users, commit to some insecure Cloud that at least half our clients will not accept and then lose all their data. The web site is chaotic, unbelievably slow and utterly impenetrable. I truly despair. This used to be a good company. 

• 1. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I am sorry you are having a problem with the Exchange Panel.  Can you tell us what computer hardware you are using?  Only some people have made very bad choices, and bought hardware with very high display resolution, and expected to use Photoshop on it.  Some have even tried to use Photoshop on 13 inch Lenovo notebooks with 3200 x 1800 display.  I mean what were they thinking?  Well of course they didn't think at all.

But back to your problem.  I have my fingers crossed that you are going to say you have a nice Mac Book Pro with Retina Display so we can make you a happy bunny, and that you are not going to say you have a Lenovo Yogy Bear Think Pad (goodness, could name be more ironic?) which is obviously not suitable for Photoshop. 

• 2. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
            Oliver Sparrow Level 1

I am using a 16 GB workstation with a fourteen core processor, an SSD and a high-end NVIDIA graphics card. The screen is indeed a physically large, high resolution device, but for Adobe apps it  runs at 1900 x 1200 on a 32" screen. (Higher res. is used for making GIS maps or analysing geological data.) That gives a perfectly readable screen,  aside from the idiot icons in Adobe programs, which are not scaleable. But keyboard and memory suffices and at least the pull downs are nominated screen-res. 

P/shop and Illustrator are installed as 64 bit programs in C:\Program Files, Dreamweaver CS5 as a 32 bit application in C:\Program Files (x86). This is important for the failure of the download.

The download is called AdobeExchange_cs6.zxp and is set to open with Adobe Extension Manager. If I start it, I get a playing card sized black and grey panel, which cannot be resized and which takes no account of desktop or application default screen fonts.  It finds Dreamweaver CS5 and nothing else. That is because it can only see the  (Windows generated) 32 bit Program Files (x86) directory. Thus, it cannot see any of the 64 bit programs and cannot be redirected to them.

The controls are largely unreadable, but a screen magnifier tool allowed me to play with most of them, to no avail. Eventually, though, it "stops responding" and has to be closed with Ctrl-Alt-Del. Pretty shocking, frankly.

• 3. Re: New Exchange panel will not install

A thoroughly sensible arrangment hardware wise.

Unfortunately I can't test the CS6 Exchange panel, and I will admit to being unimpressed when we suddenly became obliged to access Adobe exchange via an Extension Panel.  My experience is that there now appears to be a tiny fraction of what we used to be able to find on Adobe Exchange.  The panel does work OK for me with CC on Windows 7.

Exchange Panel.JPG

Several people, including myself, have had problems with the Extension Manager with CC, but I don't remember reading about issues with CS6.  With CC it is easily fixed by removing and reinstalling the Extension Manager.

Can you tell us what version of Windows you are using?  I'm assuming you have all the CS6 updates?  I'm also assuming CS6 because of the AdobeExchange_cs6.zxp file name you mentioned.

Any CS6 users out there can shed light on the Adobe Exchange extension panel?

[EDIT]  I'm interested how your 14 cores are configured?  Is that cores and not threads?  I can only think of 4, 6, and 8 core processors, but I am no expert.

• 4. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
                Oliver Sparrow Level 1

Well, what I have done since the problem emerged is the following. I found that the Extension Manager was CS5 - I didn't even know that I had it, so presumably it installed with CS5. So why not CS6? Nevr mind, let's download CS6. Around 110 megabytes later, I had a .zip file. This unbundled into two directories, one containing all manner of subdirectory, the other a file called "setup.exe".

Very well, click the setup.exe. Up comes a panel, setup unable to run, download yet another utility, the "Adobe Support Advisor". Nine point something megabytes later, yet another file to hand. Click to run, scrunch: Windows throws a Message that "Air application manager has died" or some such, and ditches the process.

So:

1: The basic download manager does not work on a very straightforward, very much up to date Win7pro setup.

2: The manager-of-the-manager doesn't work either.

3: Their diagnose-the-manager-of-the-manager does not work either. (I tried this on two other Win7 machines and it doesn't work on them.)

So, find patterns on the web. Plan to replace all Adobe products.

This is pre-Beta stuff, outrageous in a commercial application. I have wasted a Sunday trying to get this rectified for the week ahead. Really, Adobe used to feel like a Rolls Royce company: expensive, but everything worked. Now it has that "rushing after its own tail" feel of so many US IT companies, all facade and piss on the customer.

• 5. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
                  SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

If you want to bypass the Exchange panel, the 'classic' exchange is still available here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?s=4&o=desc&exc=16&cat=200&event=productHo me&l=-1&from=1

regards,

steve

• 6. Re: New Exchange panel will not install

Now that's a useful link Steve.  Thanks

• 7. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
                      SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

If you want to pursue and get some help with the Exchage panel, try posting here for assistance:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/exchange

regards,

steve

• 8. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
                        SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Trevor,

I thought you might like that. :-)

Here's the main 'classic' landing page, with links to various product pages:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm

cheers!

steve

• 9. Re: New Exchange panel will not install
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Oliver Sparrow wrote:

I am using a 16 GB workstation with a fourteen core processor

Out of curiosity what processor is that, and what workstation model is it in?  I haven't run across a 14 core processor before.  12 yes, even 15, but not 14.

-Noel