18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 10:13 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?

Jerry W B

I have a Windows 8.1 PC , Premiere Elements ver. 12, and I have a  dedicated DSL for computer only. In my best efforts, even when disabling  McAfee completely, I have had almost 4 days of frustration trying to  download an Instant Movie from the online content server. At times the  DL works, slowly, then it pauses, sometimes the DL reverses the count  and I lose 10mb and it resumes (I have never seen that before). Most  frustrating is when the DL is nearly complete and the message pops up  that I need to check my connection as the download has failed. I have  1.6TB disc space, and no restrictions in place at my end. I tried from 2  of the PCs, both Win 8.1. I have tried at all hours of the day for  traffic on the server, but that doesn't seem to matter. I have attempted the Secret Agent file DL at best 10x.  Is there a  setting I need to change to receive this content, or go to a different  site where I can directly access this content?

I have purchased Three PE 12 programs for 3 replacement PCs and I need some real direction.

Thank you, JerrySecret Agent MovieTheme Failure3.jpg

• 1. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
          nealeh Level 5

It doesn't solve your problem but I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the Adobe server. I've just downloaded the Secret Agent Instant Movie (118.7MB) in just a few minutes over my FTTC line.

I think you need to focus attention on your hardware / software environment -  firewall, anti-virus/malware, service provider.

Are you able to take your computer to a friend or colleague and try the download using a different service provider?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry W B

There will be those that report Content download of a few minutes. Although we are happy for them, many have found that this is not usually the case. Download of the Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Content download is often a slow process which demands a lot of patience whether the download be "Download Now" or "Download All".  Just two of the factors in this situation are the Internet Speed/Status and the status of the Adobe Server. Many times it is time of the day.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe12-content-download-considerations.html

I have DSL Service on the east coast of the USA. It is now about 6 pm Saturday February 22, 2014.

I right clicked the blue ban at the top right corner of the Instant Movie thumbnail for the Secret Agent theme. I selected Download Now to download just that one Instant Movie theme.

a. The file size was given as 75.8 MB, not 118.7 MB. It took 11 minutes and 19 seconds to download that Instant Movie.

I checked the download on two different computers, one Windows 7 64 bit and the other Windows 8.1 64 bit. The Instant Movie Secret Agent had a file size of 75.8 MB according to the download pop up in the opened project.

b. If you are talking days for this download, then I would first check with your Internet provider. There is no other place for these downloads except from within the program. And, when you do get them, I would encourage you to save them as per my blog posts on this topic to avoid having to go through an labored downloading processes again.

Do you find the downloading of Content to be the same for all the other categories requiring this type of download, not just Instant Movies?

Please review and update us on your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Although you did say that you disabled McAfee, be advised that McAfee's recent update(s) have created some serious problems for Premiere Elements. So, I would re-evaluate McAfee's possible role in all this along with the firewalls settings.

• 3. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
              nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

a. The file size was given as 75.8 MB, not 118.7 MB.

Interesting. Was that your first Instant Movie download? If not, and it was mine, I suspect there must be some generic material also downloaded the first time one does so. Especially as there are only 39 files totalling 74.9MB in my 'Secret Agent' folder. I also note that the file dependencyfile.txt links to Secret Agent Titles (that I HAD previously downloaded).

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

My Secret Agent Folder contains 39 files. And, the "Secret Agent Properties" dialog displays Size = 74.3 MB and Size on Disk = 74.4 MB. So, we are agreeing closely on that (compare your 74.9 MB report).

SecretAgent.jpg

All the Content media necessary to make a specific theme work is downloaded to a folder specific for that theme which already exists with incomplete assets on the hard drive. I see no opportunity in this case, first or last choice, for 44.3 MB extra to be added to this download or any other.

Consequently I read your speculation guardedly.

I suspect there must be some generic material also downloaded the first time one does so

I also note that the file dependencyfile.txt links to Secret Agent Titles (that I HAD previously downloaded).

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                  nealeh Level 5

My mistake (dodgy eyesight) we are identical for the Secret Agent folder at 77,956,521, but the inital download was definitely 118MB so something else must have been downloaded with it. I wonder what.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Thanks for the follow up.

Although I cannot confirm nor explain your 118 MB download for Instant Movie Secret Agent, I will keep watch for that type of happening in the Content download of Premiere Elements 11, 12, and likely versions to come.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                      Jerry W B Level 1

Update on my DL problem. I took down my McAfee virus, spam, and firewall. I gave Premiere Elements FULL access on the network through McAfee when it is on. However, I must say that when McAfee was off, I wasn't able to complete the DL. SO, I took your suggestions and checked my hardware on the PC. Seems there are similar reports for those who have the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" Ethernet card. Some suggestions were to take it off power management, another was to disable all the Advanced features. Both of which failed to give me any better downloads. I do notice that the DL stops and my Icon for Networking goes dark. At one point, I was able to hit the Diagnose button and catch it when it was in that state. The suggestion was to check with my Internet provider as I wasn't connected to the Internet at that moment of diagnosis. This was what I suspect is causing the failure, and hence the online suggestions to disable all the Green and Energy saving features of this particular Ethernet card. I might be on to what is causing it, but I haven't got it nailed yet.

I did try a DL of Title & Text, which was only 7mb, that worked.

As for the DL size of Secret Agent, I have seen 2 different sizes, 72mb and 121mb. THIS threw me as well, thinking there was only 1 source.

I appreciate your suggestions, and will continue searching until I find what the source of the break is.

OH, Secret Agent was my 2nd DL, the 1st was the Extreme Sports and I don't remember having any issues. HMmmm.

Jerry

• 8. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry,

Thanks for the update with that important information about your issues with downloading that Instant Movie Theme Secret Agent. You have done a great job focusing in on the critical parts of the Internet considerations.

I am going to take a hard look at the contents of the Secret Agent theme folder contents to see if anything sets it apart from other Adobe Instant Movies.

Also, where specically are you seeing these two folders for Secret Agent - one 72 MB and the other 121 MB?

I went through the computer and the opened program and found only 3 Secret Agent Folders each with a distinct and different set of completed files.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Online Folder

DVD Templates - lead to Secret Agent Folder, 47.3 MB Size, 47.3 MB Size on Disk, 39 files, 0 folders

Movie Themes - lead to Secret Agent Folder, 74.3 MB Size, 74.4 MB Size on Disk, 30 files, 0 folders

Title Templates - lead to Secret Agent Folder, 1.05 MB Size, 1.08 MB Size on Disk, 13 files, 0 folders.

More later.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                          nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

Although I cannot confirm nor explain your 118 MB download for Instant Movie Secret Agent

Actually you just have - in your Reply #8 you mentioned DVD Templates of 47.3MB. When I originally searched for what may have been downloaded I ignored that as the folder was dated last October rather than this Saturday just gone. But the folder size was so close I took a look at its contents and found that all the PSD files had been downloaded again with the Instant Movie Theme.

1.png

So that together with the Theme Folder accounts for the 118MB download total.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Although your explanation worked for you, it is not working for me unless I am overlooking some aspect of what you are trying to tell us.

In my case, the DVD Templates/theme - Secret Agent .psd files date to December 13, 2013, and the Instant Movie - Secret Agent files (downloaded as part of this troubleshooting) date to February 22, 2014.

Consequently, I am not seeing any evidence for DVD Template Secret Agent .psd files or other being downloaded again when I downloaded the Instant Movie - Secret Agent.

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                              nealeh Level 5

I wonder if Adobe updated those PSD files some time during October - December. Mine were originally downloaded in October 2013, yours in December.

I now have a satisfactory explanation of my 118MB downloaded.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

We are glad that you believe that you have a satisfactory explanation for your 118 MB downloaded, but it just does not add up in the explanation sense of "add up".

Based on what you suggest, why/how would Adobe update a DVD Secret Agent theme .psd file when one's directive to the program is to download Instant Movie Secret Agent which has a different file set and which does not include .psd files? I have assumed that when you did the Instant Movie Secret Agent Content download, you selected the option Download Now and not Download All.

You might want to look at the use of your Content downloads guardedly in view of what you describe. Moving forward, if you have any problems with use of Secret Agent (DVD Template, Instant Movie, and Title Template), please be sure to let us know.

I will continue to try to put the pieces together on this here from the point of view of fundamentals of the Content download and the impact of such on the subsequent performance of the Content download within the Premiere Elements project.

ATR

• 13. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                  Jerry W B Level 1

A.T. Romano,

I have returned all the Ethernet card's settings on Advanced Tab to the original settings. (BTW this Dell PC XPS was originally a new Windows 8 OS). I then DL'd the Sports theme and it worked. I followed the Microsoft offer to get the free 8.1 upgrade and I had trouble ever since ( without thinking it might be the upgrade.)  I read online that some users were complaining about the Ethernet card not working correctly under the 8.1 OS.

One online solution offered was to uninstall the Ethernet card and reboot the PC. I did that and automatically reinstalled the Realtek card. With a fresh install, I loaded the Premiere Elements and my test project so I could ask for the Secret Agent DL again. The DL said it was 72mb and started the DL. I turned on the device manager's device window showing the Ethernet connection so I could monitor the traffic and watch for a stall-out or failure. The download progress pop-up window completed the 72 meg DL, and said that it was 'completing the download'. However, the ticker kept going on the Ethernet window like it was still working hard - as before the 72 megs were done. It appears I am still downloading more info, (as you suggested with additional files). A few minutes later, the ticker was up around 133mb in download data and finally stopped. I received the installation screen and applied the Secret Agent theme with success.

I am going to re-read through your messages and try to determine exactly where this Secret Agent theme and the Extreme Sport theme are being stored as files so I can copy them. I want to take your recommendation to copy them to my other PCs under the appropriate folders for their PE programs.

I will also monitor the connection reliability and see if there is any degrading, as previously experienced. I'll continue to use PE and DL more data, but, as one Internet user reported - the fix was temporary, and 8.1 would disconnect the card or cause problems again.

My fingers are X'd.

I will work on the Theme's storage file location now.

Thanks again, the responses were great and helpful.

Jerry

• 14. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry

That was a great report. That matter related to the apparent "extras" in the downloads is luring me into a full blown study of the matter. I have not seen this behavior in Premiere Elements 11 or 12 which went with this Content download business. My laptop came with Windows 8 64 bit, but, with the release of Windows 8.1 64 bit, I upgraded from 8 to 8.1...almost turned back, but stayed with it. I have Premiere Elements 11 and 12 on that laptop and have seen none of these problems with Secret Agent nor any of the themes in download or use within an opened project.

But, for me, it seems to take forever to get the themes downloaded (one at a time or otherwise). I am trying to get all the Content download done for versions 11 and 12 do that I can put them in storage on USB Flash Drive or disc, hoping to get away from depending on these download times. But, this matter of extras in the downloads troubles me.

Thanks again. We will be watching for your progress which is sounding very good.

ATR

• 15. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                      Jerry W B Level 1

ATR,

Another interesting factor tonight. After using the PC for over 24 hours, putting it into sleep mode overnight and then a couple times today, I tried to DL "Grid" theme. Right about 1mb, I got the hanging numbers on the Ethernet and DL screen telling me there was trouble... then the dreaded FAILED Download again.

To check the operating system, I closed down everything and rebooted the computer. I went straight to PE-12 and after loading my movie clips, went right for "Grid" theme. I flew through the DL and the theme worked fine. I pushed for the "Prime Time" theme DL, and after 170mb or so, I had received it without any troubles. It didn't take terribly long, just typically slow due to my DSL type connection.

SO, it must be in the 8.1 OS and something internally is affected by sleeping. At this point, I feel that I haven't figured out why, but until someone at MS writes a fix for what ever it is, I'll just DL after a reboot if I have any troubles in the future. I did use Dell's store to DL my electronic version of PE-12 and Photoshop-12, and both of those were huge DLs. But again, that was prior to 8.1 when I was still on the original 8.0 OS.

That's about all I can think of for now. I hope this helps you or someone else with the same issue.

Thanks again.

Jerry 

• 16. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry

Thanks for another very interesting follow up.

Have you looked at Shut Down rather than Sleep?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-shut-down-turn-off-pc

I have always used Shut Down overnight or for when I am away from the computer for a few hours during the day.

Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....laptop or deskop type computer.

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                          Jerry W B Level 1

ATR,

I shut down when I am away from the PC for any extended periods of time. I put it to sleep overnight or when I am away for a short period. I stopped using hybernate as it seemed to store and reload everything. I guess the real reason is... my keyboard was programmed for the sleep mode and I just use it.

I went deeper into the Network Card and researched the driver. The driver I was using was a ver. 8.04 from 2012. This driver came from Dell with my XPS machine. I went to the Realtek site and found my card and downloaded their zip file for update. The new driver is ver. 8.24.1218.2013 and is dated 12/18/2013.  I installed and rebooted. I have had much better success in the Themes with downloads, including a 164mb DL. I pulled down some music as well as effects. I will say that I haven't been without failures completely,  but they have been reduced dramatically to only 1 or 2, and it's usually in the first few minutes.

I also went through the conversation above and found my DL'd files as you said in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Online\...   I will copy those to the other PC after I accumulate more files.

Thanks once again,

Jerry

• 18. Re: How do I overcome the Failed Downloads for Instant Movies from the Adobe Server?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jerry

Great progress.

Thanks for the update.

ATR