5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2014 12:30 AM by Saurav

Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol

efreistadt

Hello all,

I'm having trouble.

I have an element, "button", and have given it a mouseover event, to call symbol, "animation", and play from the beginning of the symbol timeline.

Right now I have written, "var mySymbolObject = sym.getSymbol("animation").play();" in the mouseover event for my "button" element.

I have followed online tutorials, but still cannot seem to get this to work. I'm wondering if it is due to my timeline being controlled by the scrolling as this is a Edge Commons Parallax composition, and perhaps that is what is confusing the call to play the symbol.

I do not want the symbol to be visible unless it is activated by the mouseover "button". And I want the symbol to be played from its beginning when I mouseover "button", and then play from reverse when I mouseout of "button"

I appreciate any insight you all may offer.

Best,

Eric

• 1. Re: Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol
          Saurav Adobe Employee

Hi Eric,

Please refer the attached file  . You can set the display option of the symbol to off on the main timeline and then write the code as provided in the attached example .

Thanks

Saurav

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol
            efreistadt Level 1

Thank you Saurav,

That works—though now I have two further questions.

1. Let's say that I want the symbol "animation" to be played from beginning when I mouseover "button", but not played reverse until "button" is clicked. What is happening is "animation" is replaying from the beginning everytime I mouseover, which I only want it played once, until the click plays from reverse. How do I set the mouseover to play "animation" only once, no matter how many mouseovers occur, until clicked to play reverse?

2. I want "button" to expand "animation" on click, but then collapse on another click. How can I assign "button" to play symbol "animation" on click, but then if there is a second click "animation" plays from reverse (i.e. Boolean true/false)?

Thank you so much for any further help!

Eric

• 3. Re: Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol
              Saurav Adobe Employee

Hi Eric ,

For the first question you can set a variable in the compositionReady function which will act as a flag which will help to make sure that animation plays only once until reverse animation is played through click event . Please refer the attached file .

For the second question can you please elaborate your problem in detail ? Sorry for not understanding what you meant by "exapnd animation " and " collapse animation "

Thanks

Saurav

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol
                efreistadt Level 1

Thank you again Saurav,

For the second question, I am meaning that on click the symbol "animation" would play, and then on the second click "animation" would play from reverse.

Is that clear enough?

Eric

• 5. Re: Using Edge Commons Parallax: Trouble with getSymbol
                  Saurav Adobe Employee

Hi Eric ,

There might be many ways to do the play and play reverse using click operation as described by you but this is what I think could be done .

We can set a variable in our compositionReady function   sym.setVariable("count", 0);

Then in the click handler of the symbol we can write the following code

var x = sym.getVariable("count");

var mySymbolObject = sym.getSymbol("Symbol_1");

//Now check if you have clicked once then play otherwise play reverse .

if(x%2 == 0)

{

mySymbolObject.play();

}

else

{

mySymbolObject.playReverse();

}

x++;

// Set the value of a Symbol variable

sym.setVariable("count",x);

Please refer the attached composition . Hope it helps