3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 8:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Can I edit Sony HD AVCHD HD in Premiere Elements?

Baltimore Bob 2014

• 1. Re: Can I edit Sony HD AVCHD HD in Premiere Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Baltimore Bob 2014

The very generalized answer is yes, but I would need to know much more about "Sony HD AVCHD HD" and what version of Premiere Elements you have and on what computer operating system it is running on BEFORE that yes is firmer.

If you do not have Premiere Elements and the computer yet, then let us start with the properties of the video from your Sony.

What is the model and recording settings for this Sony that will be recording your video that you want to edit in Premiere Elements.

We will be looking for video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio among other things.

Do you have a computer with enough resources to edit AVCHD footage? So, we will need to take computer resource as a factor into the answers.

Let us start with the video properties and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I edit Sony HD AVCHD HD in Premiere Elements?
            whsprague Level 4

ATR may need more information, but I can say I routinely edit Sony AVCHD footage from an HX9V and a RX100.

I started with PrE9 and the Sony HX9V (one of the first pocket cameras capable of 1080p60).  PrE versions 10 and older were not as good at AVCHD in the 1080p60 setting.  I'm now using version 11 with no issues from either camera set to any quality setting.  Version 11 was the first to promote that it would work with AVCHD 2.0 1080p60.  I refrained from upgrading to version 12 as there were no new features offered that I could use.

AVCHD footage from any camera puts will make a computer work pretty hard.  Be sure you have a relatively new processor and lots of RAM.

Bill

• 3. Re: Can I edit Sony HD AVCHD HD in Premiere Elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Baltimore Bob 2014

Yes, I do need more information to give you a firm and good answer to your highly generalized question

What others use or do not use may or may not be specific for you, your computer environment, and the version of

Premiere Elements that is available to you.

ATR