5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 9:32 AM by Salah Fadlabi

Changing Text color using eyedropper tool

RS387

Hello all,  I'm fairly new to Indesign.  I had been trucking along changing text color by highlihgting the text, picking the eyedropper tool, and clicking on a color in a photo to change the text body color.  Just recently this has changed. Now when I highlight the text, pick the eyedropper tool, click on a color, it applies the color as a stroke instead of to the text body.  Can anyone please tell me how to reset this variable to go back to the original method of applying the color to the text body?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Changing Text color using eyedropper tool
          tman69 Level 3

somehow you have changed from 'fill' (left image) to outline' (right image) that is from solid box to outline box - see attached -click on 'solid box' after tou select text/before you change color

Capture t1.JPG Capture t2.JPG

• 2. Re: Changing Text color using eyedropper tool
            RS387 Level 1

Hello Tman69, I see what you're saying.  In the past I never had to click on "solid box" before changing color.  Fill was set as default.  The color was always applied to the body of the text and not as a stroke.  How do I go back to setting "fill only" as the default? 

• 3. Re: Changing Text color using eyedropper tool
              tman69 Level 3

an existing indesign document 'should' retain the 'fill' or 'stroke' default depending on what is selected when you save the document--and it should open with that setting

a new document will open with whatever settings you have as your default preference--to set preferences for all new documents--launch Indesign--do not open a document--click on the solid box (you can even assign a color for the default fill)--then quit Indesign--relaunch Indesign and it should open any 'new' document with the setting that was applied--here's the rub though--Indesign documents retain the prefernces that were applied when they are saved--so if you make some text color edits and then change to the outline to color a stroke or other object and then save the document--the next time you open it--it will still have the 'stroke' as default for that document

• 4. Re: Changing Text color using eyedropper tool
                RS387 Level 1

I usually work off a template for each new project (magazine layout).  So there's never really a need to create a new document from scratch.  I'm aware I must have inadvertantly clicked on something to change the default.  I also saw another post saying to double click the eyedropper tool and then uncheck the attributes i dont' want included.  I unchecked "stroke".  But that didn't change anything.  I'm still having the same issue.

Initially I had always used the eyedropper tool to pick up colors in an image to apply to text.  My original process was as follows

1.  highlight text

2.  click on eyedropper

3.  click a color on a graphic or image

4.  The color picked is applied to the body of the text

Now

1. highlight text

2. click on eyedropper

3. click a color on a graphic or image

4. The color picked is applied as a stroke to the text

5.  I go into swatches and flip the color to be the fill

6.  I then click in swatches to turn off the stroke.

I'm not sure how I changed the original settings.  But I'm not sure I'm reading anywhere how to get back to the original settings.

• 5. Re: Changing Text color using eyedropper tool
                  Salah Fadlabi Level 5

I'm not sure how I changed the original settings.  But I'm not sure I'm reading anywhere how to get back to the original settings.

Try to quit indesign then immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (windows) and when  recieve delete indesign preference files, choose yes.

Hope it may help.