3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 10:53 AM by BobLevine

Indesign CC: unable to create caption for table

keithconover Level 1

I have a table in a text box. It's not anchored (read about that on the forum). I want to create a static caption that says "Table 1". The options to create a caption are greyed out. Cutting and pasting doesn't help. Selecting the table (Table > Select) and then copying and pasting without a text frame doesn't help. I suppose I could create another text box and Group it with the text frame, and use my Caption paragraph style.

But, shouldn't it work if I simply use the provided function for creating captions? Maybe InDesign is too human- and literature- illiterate to realize that tables need captions, too?

Any clues why this might be happening in Indesign CC?

Thanks for any thoughts.

• 1. Re: Indesign CC: unable to create caption for table
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've never used the feature, but my understnading is that it only works with images -- you need metadata for the caption to read.

Why not just add a text frame, or a new paragraph below the table in the same frame?

• 2. Re: Indesign CC: unable to create caption for table
            keithconover Level 1

Yes, I realize that Adobe has crafted the Caption function to import the static name of the graphics file, or metadata. However, if you think about it from a publishing perspective, shouldn't tables have captions, too? The Caption function should insert an appropriately sized and grouped text frame at the bottom, with automatically applied object and paragraph styles both named Caption unless overwritten by the user. Static and Dynamic caption text should be options for this, but "fill in the blank" should be an option, too. Stupid design. As Alan Cooper would say, this is an example of user interaction design based on an implementation model (how the programming code modules are organized), and not the user's mental model. The user interface is modeled after what the coders designed, not what users expect.  And if you want tables in your book in addition to graphics, you're out of luck if you try to use the Caption feature.

• 3. Re: Indesign CC: unable to create caption for table
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why not use a footer row for that?