0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 2:22 AM by Spen

Master page's and liquid layout do not work together.

Spen Level 1

I've already posted about this and on closer inspection with InDesign CC it seems the problem is worse than I thought.

I'd like to use a global header and footer on a master page. Fix the header to the top of the page and the footer to the bottom.

When I change the height of a page I'd like the header so stay at the top of the page and the footer to stay at the bottom.

So I create a new master page (Master-A). I apply Object-based as the Liquid page layout rule then I pin the header to the top left of the page and the footer to the bottom left of the page. Everything works perfectly when I change the height of Master-A.

Next I create a new page from Master-A (call it Page-1). I apply Controlled by Master as the Liquid page layout rule then I select the page tool and drag the handle to increase the height of Page-1. Everything works as it should. The header stays at the top and the footer is locked to the bottom of the page.

BUT... when I increase the page height (using the height dialogue box) the footer on Page-1 does not move.

AND... It gets worse. If I hold the control and option keys to resize Page-1 all pages in the document that use Master-A are resized including Master-A.

AND... Worse still. If I increase the height of Page-1 then create a new Page-2 from Master-A the master page elements on Page-1 shift to the center of the page. Even turning off the Liquid Page layout rule does not stop this happening.

This is quite hard to explain. I should probably do a screen cast to demonstrate it.

Put simply, master page's and liquid layouts do not play well together.

Just try putting a global header and footer on a master page. Create a few pages from the master page and see what happens when you change the height of a single page. It's a world of pain.