12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 11:02 AM by ryclark RSS

Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

dhgolden

The linked short clip starts normally but at 10 seconds the gain drops and becomes distorted.  It was originally recorded with a sony hd cam and a wireless mic.  The mic is the obvious culprit.  There is about a 3 minute stretch out of a 90 minute presentation where the audio is corrupted.  I would really like to find a way to make it so that it would be at least understandable.  I have been using audition for a short time and know the basics and that is about it.  Are there audition effects that might help me out or is this a lost cause?

Thanks for any help  you might offer.

http://webhealing.com/video/samplecrap.wav

Dorothy

• 1. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?
          Bob Howes Community Member

I had a listen this morning (my time)...I tried yesterday but, for some reason, I couldn't get it to play.

It'll never be great quality but I suspect some noise reduction would yield something at least "usable".  I'd be happy to have a quick play and see where I get to if you can put the file somewhere I can download it rather than just listen.  Try box.net (quick and free and not requiring a downloaded app like dropbox) if you don't already have something else.

• 2. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?
            dhgolden Community Member

Bob -  Thanks very much for your reply and your willingness to help out.  Much appreciated.  It's heartening to hear you think it may be salvagable to the point of being usable.  That would be great.

I do have access to a dropbox account so the only hurdle will be getting an email address so I can share the folder.  Not sure the best way to do that.  Do they have pm's here? 

• 3. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

Yes, they do have PMs and I've just sent you one.

As I say, no guarantees and it'll never be great but I think it's worth seeing what we can do.

• 4. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

Thanks Bob.  Got it and have shared the folder.  No, please don't worry about my wanting guarantees.  Far from it.  I am just happy to have someone listen to this who knows Audition and give some feedback. I am so new to this program that I really don't know what it can do. Anything will be helpful including recommending what effects to try or any direction about how to work with this.  Whatever you choose to do will be wonderful.  Many thanks.

• 5. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

I've posted a tweaked version back to your Dropbox folder.

It's far from perfect but, in a pinch, at least some of it might be useable.

I agree with you that the distortion is more likely microphone related than to do with levels.  I've encountered some RF mics that can pull similar stunts when the batteries get a bit low--it might be worth checking that.

Anyhow, what I did was about 15 or 20 minutes playing so a bit of TLC might improve the results if you think it's going the right direction.  Let me know and, if so, I'll send you details of what I did so you can use that as a starting point.

• 6. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?
                    SuiteSpot Community Member

You're a good man Bob

• 7. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

You haven't heard the mess I made of his audio, Suitespot!

• 8. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?
                        SuiteSpot Community Member

I suspect that it was a mess before you started and that anything you did could only help

PM me sometime

• 9. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

I have to agree with Suitespot.  Bob is a good man and the audio was a mess before Bob had a go at it.  It was very generous of you Bob and for that I am grateful.

The results are a great improvememt Bob.  Many thanks!  Can you tell me what you did? 

The mic was not my own.  I have had wireless mics go out before but usually they simply go dead, you replace the battery and you are good to go.   This one seems to have gone half dead and thus the problem.

• 10. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

Dang, I should have written down what I did!

Anyhow, from memory, I:

Grabbed one side of your stereo file and used "Copy to New" since it was mono anyhow.  (I used the side with the higher levels)

Ran Noise Reduction (Process) 4 times, getting a new noise print each time with FFT sizes of 2048, 4096, 8192 and 16384 respectively.  I made each pass of NR pretty light to minimise artefacts...about 15% NR and reduction by 6dB.

I then moved to Audition 3 (this feature isn't in CS6 or CC) and ran the clip restoration--frankly, because it was not level related clipping I don't thing it did much so, if you can't do this bit, I wouldn't worry too much.

To aid the speech clarity, I used EQ (the 30 band graphic but this is an area I'd play with if doing it again) and knocked off all frequencies below 100Hz and everything above 8kHz.  I also put on a slight boost (around 4dB) in the 200-400Hz range.

Finally, I normalised to an average level.  If I was doing it again, I might play with some compression to reduce the dynamic range a bit.

None of this is set in stone, but have a play.

Happy to help.  Sometimes being retired and recovering from a heart op gets boring so little projects are fun!

• 11. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

Bob -  This is very helpful.  I can experiment with these and see if I push the limits on some if it make make some improvement. 

Is there any importance to the order these are done?  I just don't know about what the best practices might be.

Glad to hear you are healing up. Thanks so much for your help with this.

if anyone else hears the little clip and has suggestions about effects to try I am all ears!

Thanks again Bob.

• 12. Re: Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?
                                ryclark Community Member

There is the DeClipper effect under Diagnostics in later versions of Audition. Though I don't know if it would produce the same results as Clip Restoration in AA3. Something else for you to try Bob to help fill in any boring moments.