26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 6:36 PM by A.T. Romano

adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears

kswali

I select a clip in timeline.

Click on "adjust" & "auto smart tone" & "apply" -- nothing happens & "reset" remains grayed out.

Click on "custom" -- nothing happens & "reset" remains grayed out.

Per the tutorials I watched, a grid with 5 small images (in corners & in center) should appear.

Is there something I must do BEFORE I click on auto-smart-tone?  Because the other editing menu choices (Gamma, color, lighting, temperature, etc.) seem to work fine.

• 1. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
          A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Maybe...are you selecting your image on the Timeline before you go to the Adjust Tab/. I am assuming that you are, but I did not want to take anything for granted as we explore the problem.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Could you post a link to any one of the tutorials that you are using for what you describe as Auto Smart Tone?

If you click on Custom, you should see the Auto Smart Tone workspace as shown in the following screenshot

AutoSmartTone1.jpg

When the Auto Smart Tone workspace first opens, you will not see the grid. When you click on the circle and drag, then you will see it.

It would appear that when you select Custom, make your choices, Done and you are back in the Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Auto Smart Tone Panel expanded, then the Apply button is grayed out.

Please review that then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
            kswali Level 1

Thanks for trying to help me.

I watched several (very similar) videos, but here’s one: 

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-12/adjusting-your-videos-color-tone-with -the-auto-smart-tone-tool/

Yes. I’m selecting the video in the timeline before selecting auto-smart tone – at least that’s the order that works with lighting & temperature, etc.

I have Windows 7 HP Pavilion p.c.

I don’t see the grid….  clicking on “custom” seems to do nothing whatsoever.

re this:  When the Auto Smart Tone workspace first opens, you will not see the grid. When you click on the circle and drag, then you will see it.  It would appear that when you select Custom, make your choices, Done and you are back in the Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Auto Smart Tone Panel expanded, then the Apply button is grayed out.

How does one tell when the “workspace” is open?  The only time I see anything in the preview pane is if I click on it -- & that occurs no matter what menu (auto smart tone, lighting, temperature,etc) I’m in.  Then I see a circle with crosshairs.  Just the circle with crosshairs – no images in the corners.  However, there are “handles” on each corner so if I click on the center circle & drag, then I end up dragging the entire preview screen off its moorings.

I know what you've pasted in above is what I'm supposed to see because that's what's on all the tutorials ... I've just never seen it!

• 3. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
              A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Thanks for all the information to clarify your issue even further.

1. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and click on the "Clean Auto Smart Tone Learning" at the bottom of the General section of Preferences. Did that have any impact on your situation?

2. If not, then let us delete the Premiere Elements 12 settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit system, it can be found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then try deleting the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Based on what you wrote I am understanding that pressing on Custom does not produce the Auto Smart Tone workspace as displayed in the screenshot that I posted.

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                kswali Level 1

Neither solution worked & now I can’t “reply”

• 5. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                  kswali Level 1

I’d already tried #1 (just stabbing wildly because some place had mentioned you could reset them there).

I moved my entire 12.0 directory to my passport hard-drive & created a new project , which automatically created a new 12.0 directory – but still no grid or any pictures in the corners.

• 6. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                    kswali Level 1

Got the reply button to reappear.

FYI, the path to the 12.0 directory is different from the one you site above, but don't suppose that matters:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Styles

• 7. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                      kswali Level 1

Not sure why the reply button disappeared or what I clicked on to make it come back, but my husband says he was able to use the "custom" one time.  He says I am doing exactly what he was doing (as he remembers it) when he got it to work.  You'd think that if it was some setting in premiere 12 that wiping out the entire directory would fix it???

• 8. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

It matters.

FYI, the path to the 12.0 directory is different from the one you site above, but don't suppose that matters:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\Styles

If you have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, you should have found the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as described.

prefs.JPG

The Styles Folder is in an entirely different location. And, you do not want to be deleting it or anything in the path to it.

Styles.JPG

You should not be moving directories around at this point. Where is this Reply button that you lost? In Adobe Premiere Elements Forum post or somewhere else.

Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or deleting the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists, often fixes these issues for which whys are never found.

But, at this moment, I am not sure of the extent of what you have done. You definitely should not have arrived at the Styles Folder in any of this.

If the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or the 12.0 Folder in which it exists did not solve the problem, then I was going to suggest Premiere Elements 12 Deactivation (Sign Out) from with in a project, uninstall via Control Panel, ccleaner run through (regular cleaning + registry cleaning), and then reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Please review the above, consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                          kswali Level 1

I have Adobe Premiere 12 on Windows 7.

I do not have any “Appdata” directory under c:\users\owner.

I do have this path:  C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0

Years ago I purchased Adobe Photoshop 9 & Premiere 9 together.

I recently bought disks from for Premiere 12.

I contacted Adobe & (after a 45 minute wait) was told just to install 12 on top of 9 without un-installing 9 first.

The install worked beautifully, but that’s the directory path I see.

I let it install to the default directory – I did not change the directory path during the install.

I did not delete anything, since I couldn’t find a “prefs” file.

What I did was move the entire 12.0 directory elsewhere & have since copied it back.

There is a “styles” directory under the 12.0 directory:  C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0\styles.

It was this 12.0 directory that I temporarily moved somewhere & that was re-created when I created a new project.

Since that didn’t work, I deleted the new 12.0 directory that was created & moved the old 12.0 directory back into place.

I don’t see a file anywhere under 12.0 that has “pref” in it.

There is also a “styles” directory at this path:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Presets\Styles

I don’t see a file anywhere in it with the characters “pref” in the file name.

What is the exact name of this “Prefs file”…..  because removing the 12.0 folder didn’t work.

I’m not sure what you mean by “Deactiviation (sign out) from within a project”  -- do you have a link that explains that?

I’m assuming that if I uninstall that I can copy my existing projects (.prel files) back?  I’ve put a lot of work into them…..

What is “ccleaner”  -- I’ve never done anything like that?

I believe I did install the first time with Kasperksy disabled…..

• 10. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

kswali,

The Adobe Forums Reply button will only appear, when one is logged-in with their Adobe ID and PW.

Is it possible that you were accidently logged-out?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                              kswali Level 1

Yes…   & I can’t figure out how to get back on.

• 12. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

In the upper-right of the Adobe Forum Web page, if accessed via a Web browser, there is a Sign In link. If you are not seeing the Reply button, and are accessing the Adobe Forums via a Web broswer, that Sign In will take you to the Adobe Forum Sign-In page, where you can enter your Adobe ID, and Adobe PW.

Now, if you are accessing the Adobe Forums via an e-mail client, or a mobile app., it might be necessary to do so via a Web browser.

BTW, your posts are showing properly, at least on my Chrome browser on a PC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                  kswali Level 1

I was able to get back on & see the "reply". 

Still no luck using top 2 items (Auto Smart Fix & Auto Smart Tone), though everything else (lighting, temperature, etc.) works great.

I did use Auto Smart Fix a few times (why it worked those few times I'm not sure). 

And my husband said Auto Smart Tone worked once for him -- he saw the grid & could move the center circle around with the seleted clip becoming darker/lighter.

• 14. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Thanks for the follow up.

I suspect that you might have missed an important part of post 3 and being able to see the path to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. The part that I think that you missed was

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Click on Start button, in the Search field above the Start, type in Folder Options.

Look to the top of that left column that you are in. You should see an entry "Folder Options". Click on it.

You should see the Folder Options dialog. Click on its View Tab.

folderoptions.jpg

Under View Tab, make sure that there is a dot next to Show hidden files, folders, or drives.

You do not have to uninstall Premiere Elements 9.0 when you want to install Premiere Elements 12. Just use one program at a time. On my Windows 7 64 bit computer, I have Photoshop Elements 6 through11 and Premiere Elements 4 through 12. And they coexist well. Each runs well, but one at a time.

Do not do any uninstalling just yet. Let us see if we can get that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deleted and get the issue solved. Be advised that after you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and close out of there, a new Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file will be generated automatically by the program once you open a new project.

Your existing project.prel files saved should not be impacted by an uninstall reinstall. If you have some user custom presets, you might have to save them to the computer hard drive before the uninstall and the put them back in place once your have reinstalled. But, let us put uninstall, reinstall on hold for the moment and explore the preferences.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification. We want this to work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                      kswali Level 1

GIving up for today -- have spent too many hours on this.  Thanks to both of you for trying to help!

• 16. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Thanks for all the follow ups.

Do not give up. Rather take a break and, when ready. advance refreshed on the issue. You will do fine.

ATR

• 17. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                          kswali Level 1

Saw your email with new suggestion, so thought I'd try.

Found & turned on show hidden files/folders.

Can see the "appdata" folder now!!

However, the only file in it is Trace Database.txt.

There is one subfolder Logs, but it is empty.

I closed Premiere 12 & reopened it, creating a new project.

Still just the one empty folder & the one Trace Database txt file -- nothing like what you show above for that directory.  Does that mean I need to reinstall?

I can now see one file with "prefs" in the name in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12 --

but it is "security prefs" & not the file you picture above. 

• 18. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

I think that you may be going off the path

Local Disk C

Users Folder

Owner Folder

AppData Folder

Roaming Folder

Adobe Folder

Premiere Elements Folder

12.0 Folder

Here is where I think you might have gone off the path.

You open the Roaming Folder and in it your find the Adobe Folder.

Now in the Adobe Folder there is the Premiere Elements Folder which you need to open to get at the 12.0 Folder that contains the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

In that Adobe Folder, there is a Premiere Elements 12 Folder besides the Premiere Elements Folder (your target). I think that you are selecting the Premiere Elements 12 Folder in the Adobe Folder instead of the Premiere Elements Folder in that Adobe Folder.

Please let me know if that is the answer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                              kswali Level 1

Going to try to send print-screen of what I see

• 21. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                kswali Level 1

This seems to be the directory you are referring to -- but it has almost nothing in it.

Have I got the wrong directory?

• 22. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

That screenshot is extremely helpful. As I suspected you detoured off the path. Look at the path in your screenshot. You do not want to see Premiere Elements 12.0 and then 12.0.

Please check out my details in post 18 and also look at the path in the first screenshot in post 8. You should see the difference in what I described and what you did.

We will be watching for further developments when you get a chance.

Your follow ups are much appreciated. I just hope that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion turns out to be the key to solving this issue.

ATR

• 23. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                    kswali Level 1

Sounds like you might mean the directory above the one I've been in, but it has nothing in it . I'll attach a new printscreen.

Meanwhile I emailed my brother.... he said see if it works on other kinds of video. 

So I tried a Hi-Def video from our new videocamera & it works like a charm!!!!

These are AVI files that I paid a professional to convert from 8mm tapes.

Every hi-def I try this on, it works. 

Ever converted avi I try it on, it doesn't work.

Meanwhile -- here's the printscreen of that directory:print_screen2.jpg

• 24. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Still not in right place.

Please look at the path you have above.

Please go down the path

Local Disk C

then

click on the Users Folder

then

click on the Owner Folder

then

click on the AppData Folder

then

click on the Roaming Folder

then

click on the Adobe Folder

STOP

Look in the Adobe Folder. You will see a folder named Premiere Elements 12.0. You do not want that. You should see a folder named just Premiere Elements. That is the one you want.

click on the Premiere Elements Folder

then

click on the 12.0 Folder inside that Premiere Elements Folder

and then

inside the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Please let me know if that worked for you. If not, I have another idea to get that Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deleted.

I will check out the details in your latest post about the effect and different formats.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                        kswali Level 1

I think I find the correct directory:   C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0

Thanks for your patience helping me find it.

Amazing how many 12.0 directories there are!

I deleted the "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" file in that directory  -- but it made no difference.

Then I opened a new project & a new "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" was created in that same directory (as you said it would be).

There is another "prefs" file in that dirctory -- AMEprefs.xml.  Let me know if I need to do anything with it.

• 26. Re: adobe premiere 12 - no grid appears
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

kswali

Great job. Do not do anything with the AMEprefs.xml.

If you wanted to go a step further in this area, then you would delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

But, before you do anything else, let me look at that feature with different source media to see if there are factors there that might be involved. I have not run into any, but best I double check.

More later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your stick-to-it-tiveness.

ATR

Add On...You wrote

Every hi-def I try this on, it works. 

Ever converted avi I try it on, it doesn't work.

Do you know what kind of .avi files you have? There are all sorts of .avi files. The compression can vary from one kind to another. Please see what you can find out about the .avi properties. It may give us an insight into why the problems. If you get a chance, download and install the free gspot utility and run the .avi through it.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html