10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 1:29 PM by asgoodasthis

Premiere Elements 9 Crashes

asgoodasthis

I haven't used Premiere Elements for a while now. However, there is now a major problem. When I double click on any one of my projects in windows explorer, it loads to 100%, then instantly crashes. If I click new project through the launcher, I can create a new project which I can close. I can then open one of my projects that instantly crashes when I open it in windows explorer. However after a short time I get the dreaded "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project.". I have tried reinstalling Adobe Premiere Elements and my graphics driver. I have also tried deleting the premiere element folder in Documents (but not deleting the autosaves and my projects) and AppDatalease. Please help. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

If you are adding photos have you ensured that no photo is larger than 1000x750 pixels?

What happens if you start a new project, with nothing in it? Does the program open okay?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
            asgoodasthis Level 1

It's with all sorts of projects, some from camcorder, some screen recorded,

some with photos, some without. I've tried all of the combinations (i know

what's in my projects). As I said in the original if I launch via launch

screen and start a new project it works fine for a while until i get the

dreaded serious error has occured.

On Sunday, 23 February 2014, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180
              •What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).
              •What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".
              •Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)
              •What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.
              •If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?
              •What were you doing when the problem occurred?
              •What other software are you running?
              •Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?
              •Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?
              And some other questions...
              •What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?
              •Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?
              •Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)
              What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?
              Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?
              For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information
              -you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself
              ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
              nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes

Are you ensuring that your project settings are precisely matched to your video specs? In versions 11 and 12, this happens automatically, but in version 9 you must properly set up your project yourself.

YOu still haven't told me what model fo camcorder your video is coming from or what format and resolution is, so I can't give you specific instructions.

However, if when you add video to your project in Timeline mode, you see a red line above the clips along the top of the timeline, this is an indication that you do NOT have your timeline set up properly. If this is the case and you don't regularly render your timeline, your program will very soon give you and out of memory warning and crash.

There may also be resource  issues on your computer. But it's more likely related to a mismatch between your project settings and your video specs.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
                  asgoodasthis Level 1

I am using Windows 7. I saw that my computer had high hard drive usage, and using resource monitor i saw that svchost.exe was the culprit. However, most windows services run under svchost.exe, so I obviously had a virus. I ran a boot scan using Avast free anti-virus and it's fixed!!

Message was edited by: asgoodasthis

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
                    asgoodasthis Level 1

Now the hard drive usage is low, but adobe premiere elements still sometimes crashes, I've tried everything

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes

Once I have the information I asked for in the last post, I'll be better able to offer suggestions.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
                        asgoodasthis Level 1

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with my computer. There was unusually high hard drive usage, and when i stopped svchost.exe everything was fine. Then I did a scan with Avast, and the hard drive usage lessened, but Adobe will now not open. It is definitely not a project incompatibility issue. BUT here your are. My video is from a pannasonic, in full HD .m2t format. There are no pictures above 1000x750 pixels. And when I start a new project I complete the new project form and then nothing hapens except that the new project form disappears. If I try it again I get 'sorry a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down'

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes

I don't know. We seem to be going in two different directions with our troubleshooting, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help you.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

BTW, do you have an nVidia graphics card? ATR has noticed that nVidia drivers have been conflicting with version 9 of the program.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 Crashes
                            asgoodasthis Level 1

Ok, I took a pretty drastic solution. I figured that my hard drive was filled with useless programs, junk and viruses and other stuff that slows down the computer and causes errors. So I backed up my documents, and did a fresh install of windows, and put the documents back on. Do you know how many of the 50+ programs I needed to reinstall? 10. May I recommend also Razer Game Booster (http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster) as even though Adobe is not a game you can select any program as a game, and it boosts the peformance of that program by a huge amount. As well as Adobe Premiere Elements working in the first place, my computer is highly sped up due to the fresh install without the unwanted programs, and Adobe Premiere Elements itself is vastly sped up by the combination of the fresh install, low amount of startup programs (go to Run > MSCONFIG > Startup and deselect unwanted programs) and Razer Game Booster.