4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 4:03 PM by SkyeParker

How to create higher resolution star trails with star trail action?

SkyeParker

I am trying to use the star trails action in Photoshop to artificially create stars for my rendering. I created a different and put the stars on and did the action. The stars that are towards the center of the rotation look fine but the ones towards the edge get too spaced out and dont look good.  I am not very familiar with actions but looking into this subfolder of the actions I can see that the stars are rotating .2° every time. I think if I could boost that the .05° every time,  it would take care of the issue. Also it would be nice if I could make the trails shorter. Any input you have is greatly appreciated, even if it's a work around.

Thanks for looking,

wallpaper.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 9.39.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 9.49.53 PM.png

• 1. Re: How to create higher resolution star trails with star trail action?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Free Transform step and repeat.

1. You'll need to lay down your stars on an empty layer.  You could simply stamp down some single pixel hard brush spots on an empty layer > Copy the layer > offset the new layer and merge.  Do this a few times and you'd soon have a sky full of stars.
          2. You need to centralise the star layer, so Ctrl a (select all) select the Move tool and Align vertical centers, followed by Align horizontal centers.
          3. Now Free Transform, and put a small value in the angle field.  I'd say your example above uses 0.5° so 0.25° would double the resolution.  Ok that.
          4. Now Shift Ctrl Alt t as many times as you need for the length of your trails.
          5. Unfortunately there is a trade off (I tested it).  The smaller the steps, the denser and thicker the trails, but there is a fix.
          6. Flatten all the star trail layers (but not the BG layer obviously) and add some Gaussian blur. Just enough to softern it. 
          7. Now use Levels to harden the layer removing the blur by sliding white and black sliders towards the center.
          8. If still too heavy, reduce opacity.  If too light, copy the layer.

OK, as is my want, I just read your post again.  I am a shocker for not reading properly.  I see your action uses 2°, so use whatever value works best for you in step 3

• 2. Re: How to create higher resolution star trails with star trail action?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

You could just add a touch of Spin (rotational) blur with the Filter - Blur - Radial Blur function afterward.

Don't forget that stars normally have quite a lot of color (just no green ones).

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to create higher resolution star trails with star trail action?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Blimey.  I should have thought of that!  It is still a blur effect though, which would leave the result very thin, but making a vew copys of the star layer would fixe that.

It keeps you on your toes does this forum all right!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to create higher resolution star trails with star trail action?
                SkyeParker Level 1

I think this a great opportunity to learn illustrator better. Im having a hard time making the trails thin enough. Thanks for your help