3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2014 10:28 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to get media and put into folder on my external drive

Griduser

Using Premier Elements 12 on iMac. Trying to pull video off camera but gets about half way done and receive error msg that says "User do not have sufficient privileges to write in the destination folder or the folder is read-only.

I was able to do this several times today but lately I've gotten the above error message.  I rebooted the computer a couple of times, to no avail.  Why did this problem start?  I'm doing everything the same way as I did with the other videos I pulled off my camera, then this happened.

• 1. Re: Unable to get media and put into folder on my external drive
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Griduser

Is your problem not with Premiere Elements 12 Add Media but rather with getting video from your camera and saved to your external hard drive independent of Premiere Elements 12 Mac?

If so, have you looked into problems related to the external hard drive as per its troubleshooting guide? From the wording of your issue, I would look into your transfer techniques for the video from camera to external hard drive and then look into the possibility of a malfunctioning external hard drive.

If I have misinterpreted your question, please give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to get media and put into folder on my external drive
            Griduser Level 1

ATR, thanks for the quick reply.  I'm not having any other problems with the external drive, that I know of.  I have been off-loading a bunch of videos that have been languishing on my camera, some of them for a couple of years.  I was able to use Premier Elements to do that with some of the files, with no problem.  Now I'm not able to do it anymore.  Things seem to be going along okay, but, at about the 42% transferred point, I get the error message. 

If I have to turn off a read-only attribute that might have gotten turned on, I just need to figure out how to do that and what I did to cause it.  I was using the iMovie app that came on the computer until I downloaded PE 12.  All went well until this error.  Maybe I should try iMovie again and see if I get the same error with that program.

• 3. Re: Unable to get media and put into folder on my external drive
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Griduser

It is about 1:30 am and I need to call it a day. I will check your thread in the morning for further developments.

Steve Grisetti the forum moderator uses Premiere Elements Mac and can give you some insights from the Premiere Elements Mac perspective.

I am strictly an Elements Windows person, so I would return to the thread to discuss factors where we would find common ground on the Windows and Mac fronts.

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR