16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 2:30 AM by DeMads

Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space

DeMads Level 1

As soon as I alter the main title in the menu, it says "Insuficient disk-space" when I try to burn it to either a dvd or on harddrive.

I've tried it with standard menu-templates, my own templates, 3 ánd 6 menu-chapters per page.
      Even with less markers then 25 (I've read there were some problems with it in earlier versions.

In all these ways there's no problem when i leave the film menu un-altered (in Duch: "Filmtitel hier", translation "Movie title here").
      But when I do alter, it has not enough space to write to dvd or harddrive

If I tick off the "fit to available space" and adjust the slider till it fits, it get's stuck at around 5% writing every time.

Is this a common problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How long is your movie? Only about 70-80 minutes of video fits on a DVD at full quality.

Also, you say you're using your own DVD templates. Did you actually create a customized Movie Menu template (.psd files)?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
            DeMads Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

How long is your movie? Only about 70-80 minutes of video fits on a DVD at full quality.

Also, you say you're using your own DVD templates. Did you actually create a customized Movie Menu template (.psd files)?

It's about 100 minutes of video. I use pal-dv-48khz wide or small project settings (sufficient for us and the camera's) so those aren't the highest settings I think.
            And about the templates; yes I did create it as a movie menu template. But that isn't the problem I think, as soon as I alter the movie title in premiere, on any menu (self created or standard templates) the problem occurs ; not enough disk space.

When I don't alter the title and it can write, it gets stuck at the 4% writing.

We record in-house musicshows with 2 camera's. A gig with more then 30 songs (thus chapters in the menu) is pretty common.

I will try to write the current project without the menu, just an auto-play with the chapters to skip. So I can see if the problem is on the menu's or not.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you add these video clips to your timeline in Expert view, is there a yellow-orange line above the clips, along the top of the timeline?

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                DeMads Level 1

Two JVC GY-DV5000's. It records in AVI, 720x576

And yes, there's a yellow-orange line above the clips. Rendering?

Update; I made a dvd from same project, without a menu. Only chapters to skip while playing. This time there was no problem writing it.

After trying with different variables, it seems to me the program can fit the actual film in the appropiate size but forgets to calculate room for the menu's.

We used to work with elements 4, same camera's, same settings. No problems ever. We switched to elements 12 because of windows 7.
                pc: 2.13Ghz core 2, 8Gb ram

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space

This a $6000 professional camcorder. It may not go on this little consumer program.

That said, the camcorder appears to shoot miniDV. If you've shot miniDV and you've used Premiere Elements to capture the video over a FireWire connection, you should have captured DV-AVIs.

Is this the case?

And, as I asked in my previous post: When you add these video clips to your timeline in Expert view, is there a yellow-orange line above the clips, along the top of the timeline?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                    DeMads Level 1

As I said in my previous post; Yes, there is a yellow/orange line above it. And those camera's worked with elements 4 even. Captured in DV-AVI ofcourse.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space

If there is a yellow-orange line above the clips on your timeline, then it is an indication that your project has not been set up properly to interface with your clips.

If you look under the Edit menu, what Project Settings are listed?

DV-AVIs should load to the timeline in a project set up for DV-AVI with no yellow-orange lines above them.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                        DeMads Level 1

Project settings are the same as the imported clips. After rendering, the orange line turns green. After that, i tried to share again; same problems occur.
                        Serious, it has nothing to do with settings/clips and such.. The problems occur when menu's are applied!

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space

It's likely a resource issue, possibly caused by a mismatch between your video and your project settings.

And your video and project settings are mismatched for some reason. What program did you use to capture this video?

In fact, you may want to open one of these AVIs in G Spot or MediaInfo and see what resolution, frame rate and video and audio codec it lists.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Something is non-standard here, and it's bugging up the program.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                            DeMads Level 1

Now I'm sure it's program related:

I've tried several recordings with different length and settings, even recorded with elements itself.
                            When I have less then 25 menu chapters, no problem at all. When I've more then 25 chapters, I can't alter the movie title on the main menu page otherwise the program says "insufficient space" to write. And if I don't alter that title I can write it but the program "hangs" at 4/5% writing.
                            If I don't use a dvd-menu at all, even with more than 25 chapters, it writes without any problems.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

DeMads

What brand and type DVD disc are you using

DVD disc marked 4.7 GB/120 minutes

or

DVD disc marked 8.5 GB/240 minutes?

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and have your Timeline with menus ready to be burned to disc (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc), what does the burn dialog Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"? And, when you have been doing these burn to disc, have you been doing that with or without the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

In the Movie Menu section of the program, how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages do you have when this problem exists?

For troubleshooting purposes, does the burn to go to completion if you set only 6 menu markers on the Timeline and use a 6 scene buttons per page disc menu theme so that you have only 1 main menu page and 1 scene menu page?

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                                DeMads Level 1

What brand and type DVD disc are you using

DVD disc marked 4.7 GB/120 minutes

or

DVD disc marked 8.5 GB/240 minutes?

Verbatim DVD+R 4,7GB/120

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and have your Timeline with menus ready to be burned to disc (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc), what does the burn dialog Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate with and without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"? And, when you have been doing these burn to disc, have you been doing that with or without the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

With check mark: 4,37GB and  3,06Mbps

Without: 2,56GB and 1,69Mbps (slider full to the left)
                                When I burn to disk or folder (tried both) I tried with and without check mark.

In the Movie Menu section of the program, how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages do you have when this problem exists?

1 main menu page and 12 scene menu pages (3/scene page) at this project. If I exceed 25 scenes  (thus 9 scene pages) the problem occurs "not enough available space".

As I write this, I've tried a menu with 6 scenes/page on the same project, so 1 main menu page and 6 scene menu pages, there is enough space to write either to 4,7GB disc or 4,7GB folder.

For troubleshooting purposes, does the burn to go to completion if you set only 6 menu markers on the Timeline and use a 6 scene buttons per page disc menu theme so that you have only 1 main menu page and 1 scene menu page?

I don't understand what you mean by this tbh. But burn option doesn't give any problems when I do this. The actual burn I don't know, but I will try on this project this weekend: Direct burn to DVD 4,7GB, 6 scene button disc menu, 6 markers, 1 main menu page/1 scene menu page.

Will come to that one later this weekend.

Mads

Edit: Wait, maybe I actually díd understand that question

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DeMads

Thanks for the follow up.

I think you understand where I was going with

Key was for "troubleshooting purposes"...

I just wanted to make sure that you could get the minimum done. This point does not matter now since I believe you have said that you can get your burn to completed by reducing the actual number of scene menu pages by going with a 6 scene buttons per page design rather than 3 scene buttons per page design.

It would appear that you are pushing the limits on this burn to. Is the quality taking a hit under these circumstances?

We are looking forward to your results.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                                    DeMads Level 1

It would appear that you are pushing the limits on this burn to. Is the quality taking a hit under these circumstances?

Ofcourse I'm aware of that. But whit the previous elements we had (4), it was never a problem. Same settings, same camera's.
                                    I could even make a 5hr movie with two camera tracks, over 40 chapters ánd a self made dvd-menu with 3 scene's/page. And write it on a 4,7GB DVD. True, the quality took a hit then so I splitted in two if the lenght was this long.

So the current project I'm on; single +3hr track with 33 chapters shouldn't be a problem with an upgraded machine and newer elements version, I thought.

As for troubleshooting, instead of the one you asked, I'll try to burn this project with a standard 6 scene/page menu. See what happens.

Will come on that later.

Thanks in advance
                                    Mads

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mads

Looking forward to further developments.

But, as I see it, the burn to disc capacity is disc capacity whether on old and new computer.

Under the circumstances, the edge that you need to get the job done could be in the number of menu pages or even how

maintained the scratch disks are.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 12 Insufficient disk space
                                        DeMads Level 1

Under the circumstances, the edge that you need to get the job done could be in the number of menu pages or even how

maintained the scratch disks are.

With a 6 scene's/page set-up, the project burns the DVD without any problem. So the amount of menu pages is the issue here it seems.
                                        Wich is odd because the older elements version hadn't got this "limit". Well, maybe it got one but I never managed to reach it.

Anyway, I'll create and use a 6 chapter page from now on.

Thanks  for the help.

Mads