11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 9:46 AM by ExileDeveloper

Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon

ExileDeveloper

Thank you, for reading

Game App its on itunesconnect in the reviewing process. i got email from apple saying error "on next update include 76x76 and 152x152 images". i was like ok sure, so i open flash pro cc i went to publish setting/ icons and than o....... flash does not even have 76x76 and 152x152 built in. i screamed in panic rage. anyway i went on the forums search around-

1.                    "Downloaded" sdks that should support ios 7 "Failed"
      2.                "Edited" App descriptor xml

<icon>

<image16x16></image16x16>

<image29x29></image29x29>

<image32x32></image32x32>

<image36x36></image36x36>

<image40x40></image40x40>

<image48x48></image48x48>

<image50x50>Icon-Small-50.png</image50x50>

<image57x57></image57x57>

<image58x58></image58x58>

<image72x72></image72x72>

<image76x76>Icon-76.png</image76x76>

<image80x80></image80x80>

<image96x96></image96x96>

<image100x100></image100x100>

<image114x114></image114x114>

<image120x120></image120x120>

<image128x128></image128x128>

<image144x144></image144x144>

<image152x152></image152x152>

<image512x512></image512x512>

<image732x412></image732x412>

<image1024x1024></image1024x1024>

</icon>

Guess what it "Failed" so fun

Application descriptor file cannot be parsed.

3. i added all sdks (3)>6.7.8.9 and 4.0

i am at the mercy of this icon issues or i fail in real life. defeated by icons can it get worst

4. seems amatuer from me but you should know its life on the line

5. anyway to transfer my fla files to different software or etc so i can successfully publish

6. out of ideas how can i get 76x76 and 152x152 in flash cc for publish

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Notes

-publish setting/4.0 ios air/target/icons tab/----// would like to add 76x76 icon image display here in this section//

-Again thank you for reading trying bring light to the table instead of negative. being positive here thx

• 1. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

I put mine in the root folder next to iTunesArtwork and iTunesArtwork@2x named:

iTunesArtwork

iTunesArtwork@2x

Icon-72.png

Icon-72@2x.png

Icon-Small-50.png

Icon-Small-50@2x.png

<icon>

<image50x50>Icon-Small-50.png</image50x50>

<image72x72>Icon-72.png</image72x72>

<image100x100>Icon-Small-50@2x.png</image100x100>

<image144x144>Icon-72@2x.png</image144x144>

<image512x512>iTunesArtwork</image512x512>

<image1024x1024>iTunesArtwork@2x</image1024x1024>

</icon>

They're special, read more here: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammin gguide/App-RelatedResources/App-RelatedResources.html

• 2. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
            ExileDeveloper Level 1

i bookmarked that link for the future! . thx you

but i am sure the root folder is ok. i need add the 76x76 and 152x152 image size in publish settings.

i only get the error when i add

<image76x76>Icon-76.png</image76x76>

• 3. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon

The export panel is never as updated as the Apple guidelines. Apple changes too often. This really messed with people in CS5.5. Always expect the export panel will be behind the guidelines at some point and you'll need to fix the XML yourself.

You should definitely use the latest SDK (4).

All main icon files (as my example above was actually for OS6, but it's the same deal version to version), the icons go in the root. So for OS7 yours will be in the root (with the SWF/app XML, etc) as:

Icon-76.png

Icon-76@2x.png

Icon-152.png

Icon-152@2x.png

Per the guide, like iTunesArtwork, you can omit .png on all of them as well.

The panel was most likely grouping those icons in a separate folder because it doesn't realize they're the new OS7 special app icon size.

Also omit sizes where needed, like 152 is for iPad.

• 4. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
                ExileDeveloper Level 1

my export output was set for desktop. so i am keeping everything inside "Documents" Folder now. i am not getting {Application descriptor file cannot be parsed. error. } how would i know now if the xml file is working properly?

- no tip tool saying 76x76 working properly how can i find out it works?

• 5. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
                  ExileDeveloper Level 1

-----------------------

(your thoughts)

with xml successfully saved with 76x76 should i?

1. publish to ipa
                  2. open appicaltion loader
                  3. deilver ipa to itunesconnect

------------------------------------------

i still dont know if 76x76 is working properly. will the xml command line of 76x76 be saved in ipa when i publish?

• 6. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon

Note that any changes you make in the publish panel in Flash will cause the apps XML to be rewritten every time. You should become familiar with the XML file and avoid the Flash AIR for iOS publish settings panel at all costs. Open the apps XML in your favorite text editor and make the changes yourself.

Use the latest SDK (4 at this time) but your first trip should be to the SDK release notes to verify the date it was last updated, and update as needed:

http://helpx.adobe.com/air/air-releasenotes.html

After your SDK is up to date, make sure you adjust your apps XML if needed to reflect the correct version of the SDK (4.0 as of now).

At this point, my way around the publish panel is to hit publish with this correct XML file in place and let Flash generate the SWF. Sometimes it might error, sometimes not. The SWF is all I care about. At this point if an IPA was generated I just delete it.

What Flash is doing behind the scenes for you is simply running the AIR SDK's 'adt' command. You can run it yourself from a command line to package your own application. This gets around the Flash iOS publish panel inevitably being outdated as sweeping changes are made from targets (Apple, Android).

Here's a quick primer on the 'adt' command (don't get scared):

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac35eb7b4e12cddc5fbbb-8000.html

Scroll down to the "Creating an iOS package for Apple App Store submission" section to see some easy cut and paste commands for you. If you're doing anything advanced like loading external SWFs with ABC and stripping, that'll take a few more commands. But the basics are here.

I update my Windows PATH environment variable to include the full path to my AIR SDK's /bin folder so I can use 'adt' from any location. You might want to consider that. Otherwise you'll need to preface your 'adt' command with that path before using it.

An example of packaging your application with the latest AIR and support for the latest icons/etc might look like this:

adt  -package  -target ipa-app-store  -storetype pkcs12 -keystore YourDistributionKeystore.p12 -provisioning-profile YourDistribution.mobileprofile NameOfApp.ipa NameOfApp-app.xml NameOfApp.swf iTunesArtwork iTunesArtwork@2x Icon-76.png Icon-76@2x.png Icon-152.png Icon-152@2x.png icons SomeFolder SomeOtherFolder

If you just get a commmand error for 'adt', remember you must be sure to preface the command with the full path to the correct AIR SDK /bin folder or it won't exist as a command.

e.g.:

C:\AIRSDK\bin\adt  -package  -target ipa-app-store .... etc

Might seem complicated but taken line by line (or parameter by parameter):

adt  -package 

-target ipa-app-store

-storetype pkcs12

-keystore YourDistributionKeystore.p12

-provisioning-profile YourDistribution.mobileprofile

NameOfApp.ipa

NameOfApp-app.xml

NameOfApp.swf

iTunesArtwork iTunesArtwork@2x Icon-76.png Icon-76@2x.png Icon-152.png Icon-152@2x.png icons SomeFolder SomeOtherFolder

Everything after the NameOfApp.swf is a space separated list of files and folders to include.

After you run that command, assuming it can find your .p12 and .mobileprovision (in this example, in the same folder) it will ask you for a password for your .p12.. Enter that and it will compile. That's all Flash is really doing for you when you hit publish, only using 'adt' directly resolves many issues the IDE isn't efficiently updated to handle.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
                      ExileDeveloper Level 1

well, i am not smart enough with this stuff how sad .

can my question be sent to bug tracking.

&

tell development staff at flash department to add that simple image icon update

76 & 152 that would be awesome.

Now im scared now i have to hire someone from Odesk to touch my game. o boy defeated at last i been defeated.

that update on flash pro cc would be life savior to the whole community. panels i think should be seriously updated at all times. most important part that makes and breaks games

i want to be very best that no one ever was

To catch them is my real test,

To train them is my cause.

I will travel across the land,

Searching far and wide.

Each "Icon" to understand

The power that's inside.

"Icons", (gotta catch them all) its you and me

I know its my destiny

"Icons", oh, you're my best friend

In a world we must defend

-Icons!

(Gotta catch 'em all)

• 8. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon

Try using the Apple naming conventions I've mentioned above while putting those icons in the root folder (not in an icon subfolder). Open your XML file point your 76/152 icons to those files in the root folder. Then just run publish (but don't open the publish panel). Open up the IPA it creates (rename to .zip, look inside) and verify your icons still exist inside the Payload/YourApp.app folder. If it does, try to upload again.

Eventually you will need to get used to just editing the XML file and compiling with the command line. This is app development, you have to get complex at some point .

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
                          ExileDeveloper Level 1

i will give that try. i will report back later today. going through some trouble shooting. thank you again sinious for your patience and advice i am getting somewhere with this issue.

i will give it a try and report back later

• 10. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon

You're welcome

• 11. Re: Game App needs the new "IOS 7" icon
                              ExileDeveloper Level 1

i am back, others things came up i had put this on hold last night. this morning i finally got to work on it more.

i sent the ipa file and no errors. i am waiting for emails go through i will come back as soon if i get errors or not. its the waiting game now

thank you sinious. check back as soon if the app is approved or errors for icons show up again

***Note*** anyone reading this having a brainstorming madness

-------------------------------------------------

Sinious qoute

-try using the Apple naming conventions I've mentioned above while putting those icons in the root folder (not in an icon subfolder). Open your XML file point your 76/152 icons to those files in the root folder. Then just run publish (but don't open the publish panel). Open up the IPA it creates (rename to .zip, look inside) and verify your icons still exist inside the Payload/YourApp.app folder. If it does, try to upload again.

-------------------------------------------------