8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 10:51 AM by A.T. Romano

Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10

Skyip Level 1

My computer is a HP Envy desktop, equipped with AMD FX-8350 CPU, 8G Ram, AMD Radeon HD7570 video card, running 64 Windows 8.1.

Computer bundle with Premiere Elements 10, I been used it to create slideshows, and it work quite well until few days age, while I tried to create a slideshow, and the whole system freezed during rendering. I have to press the power button to turn off the computer.  Afterward I had try to create difference slideshows again but the computer kept freezed when rendering processed 1-2%. 

I had tried every technique I know to solve the problem. I did Windows recovery, turn off all the Windows services, even installed 8G more ram into the system, but no luck.  I had download and install Premiere 12 trail version, but it wouldn't work either. The system works well with other video programs like Windows movie maker, however, the result is not as good as Premiere elements.

Hope can receive some advices to bring my Premiere Elemenst  back to normal.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With the computer freezing completely, I would look over this Tips & Tricks article, to see if there are any hardware, or low-level driver issues: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4679127#4679127

If we can rule out hardware, or the low-level drivers, then we can move on. This Tips & Tricks article goes into details on how to track down crashes and hangs: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2031203#2031203 (also linked in above article).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, it is "fairly" common for a Windows Update to do "something" to Windows that makes your AMD driver "become obsolete" through no direct action by you

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 3. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Skyip

Could you clarify.

Are your freezes only when rendering the Timeline to get the best possible preview in the Editing phase? Or are you talking about render in the export sense of the word? Or both? If export, what is the specific export and its settings?

Further....where are you creating your slideshow...Only in Premiere Elements 10 workspace or in the Elements Organizer 10 workspace and then sending that Slideshow Editor's slideshow to Premiere Elements 10 workspace with "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor"? If the Elements Organizer is involved in the creation of the slideshow, are you using the Break Apart Slideshow command to do just that once the slideshow is on the Premiere Elements workspace Timeline?

What were you doing in the program when the freezing set in and, at that time, how large was the project? Have any of the files in this current project been used in prior projects successfully? What are the properties of what you are putting into this problematic project?

Have you added any 3rd party plug-ins and codecs and the like to your computer at the time of the onset of the problems?

Have you gone through the drill of deleting pile ups of preview files (Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder), conformed audio files (Media Cache Files Folder), and conformed video files (Media Cache Database accessed Edit Menu/Preferences/Media)? Have you sent your computer through a ccleaner run (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Have you looked at deleting the Premiere Elements Settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs?

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folder, or Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

My first line of attack on this would be to assure a computer clean up and optimization.

Let us rule in or out the above and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
                Skyip Level 1

Dear Mr. romano:

My computer freezed in both when rendering the Timeline and when export the project to a MP4 file.  I did tried to export in other formats like DVD, and got the same frozen result.

My slideshow included both photos and videos, with background music and titles added.  I created my slideshows boths in Premiere Element and Photoshop Elements organizer, and got the perfect output before the problem happened.  Right before the first slideshow project with the system locked up problem(contained about 1G of jpeg image files, and no video clip ), I finish a project with more photos and videos and got a good high definition MP4 file output. later on I tried other slideshow with fewer contain, and got the same system freeze problem.

After the probem happened, I did the following action to try to solve it, however, no good result.

Try a much smaller slideshow with and without background music added;

Windows system restore to last month setting;

Download and install the latest ATI driver;

Stopped all the Windows services (except services from microsoft) and "startup" programs;

Changed the scratch disk setting in Premiere Elements;

Install new 8G of ram, made the total ram to 16G;

Deleled all rendered files for all project in the "Timeline";

I didn't install any 3rd party plug-in and codec;

I didn't gone through the drill of deleting pile ups of preview files, and never sent my computer through a ccleaner run (should I try it?).

I didn't looked at deleting the Premiere Elements Settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs?

I had opened the computer case, and found no component over-heat problem.

Thank you very much for your help and looking forward to receive advice from you.

• 5. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Skyip,

Thank you for that information.

Regarding the heat build-up:

I had opened the computer case, and found no component over-heat problem.

That might show if there is dust, lint or detritus, but would not be useful, if the over-heating occurred under load, if it's say a CPU (or GPU) fan/heatsink, or similar. There are several great temp monitoring programs (their full benefit will depend on the number and placement of sensors in the computer), and I like SpeedFan. That will allow you to do a real-time monitoring of the temps, WHILE doing an export (Share, Publish+Share), or even a Render of the Timeline.

Adobe programs, in, and of themselves, do not usually shut down a computer, though some (PrE is a great example) might stress a weakened system to the point of shut down, unlike many other programs, say a wordprocessor, or e-mail client. The user sees the shutdown, while doing certain operations in the Adobe program, so it seems logical that it IS the program, that is the cause - that is very seldom the cause, but just what pushed the system, so that the cause came into play. Besides heat (a common culprit), it could be as simple as RAM usage, where PrE is using RAM that other programs seldom access, and for longer periods of time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Skyip

A just in case question to start with, what are the pixel dimensions of the jpegs that you are using? At one point you mentioned 1 GB jpeg (total file size), but it would be good to know how many jpegs and what pixel dimensions for each. Stills oversized for the project could be stressing the project out. Often the extent of the stress relates to computer resources. I know you mentioned adding more installed RAM. What is happening with the free hard drive space, especially at the location where the Scratch Disks are aimed.

I think it would be indicated at this time to

1. Clear out any pile up of preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. You can get GB amounts in that folder if it is not maintained. From Timeline rendering, you have DV AVI files there if your project is SD, and MPEG2.mpeg if your project is HD each time you render. And in the case of the MPEG2.mpeg there is a companion xmp file. Clear out any pile ups of conformed audio in the Media Cache Files Folder. And clear out any pile ups of conformed video in the Media Cache Database area accessed from Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

2. Also a run through of the ccleaner will optimize and do a good job of regular and registry cleaning.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

3. Depending on how things go, you should check out deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (the Premiere Elements setting file).

Let us see if any of the above impacts the problems.

We will be watching for your results. Thanks for all the follow ups and work you are putting into the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
                      Skyip Level 1

Dear Mr. Romano:

My computer is rather new, I bought it about half year ago. The hard drive still with more than 1T of free space until now.  It runs very well, never been freezed until the Premiere problem happened.

The slideshow I was working at while the problem occured in the first time contained large mpeg files, images size were about 3072 x 2304 pixels, however, I did got several very good high definition MP4 and MTS files output with big mpeg files and video files before. I had tried to use other set downsized photos( about 2000 x 1124 pixels) to create MP4 slideshow, but the system freezed as well while in the 1% rendering processed.

I had cleared all the preview files, conformed video, conformed audio files I can found, I even deleted the temp files in th Appdata,

I had downloaded and installed cclean pro, used it to clean up the system.

The Adobe premiere Elements Prefs file been deleted.

After all above actions taken, the problem still exist. I am using Norton Internet Security, will it be the cause of the problem?

Anyway, I have to say thank you for all the help I got from this forum, I will keep trying with new advice from you, hope can use Adobe Premiere to create high quality slideshow again. 

• 8. Re: Computer freezed during video rendering with premiere elements 10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Skyip

Thanks for the good report update.

Definitely look at the antivirus as contributing to the problem if not causing it. Recently an update for the McAfee antivirus created major problems for Premiere Elements users who use MacAfee for the computer antivirus program.

I believe that your Norton Internet Security can be disabled in Control Panel/System and Security/Action Center of Windows 8 and 8.1 64 bit.

I realize you wrote that your computer uses Norton Internet Security. But, many of these antivirus programs (update to update) can cause this type of Premiere Elements issue. I had a problem with Microsoft Security Essentals and Premiere Elements when I was using Windows XP Professional. Some do, some don't.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR