18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 2:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Separate a project

SEWERTWO

I have a very large project that is too large for a single dvd.  What is the best way to devide a project and put half (+/-) on one disc and half on another?

• 1. Re: Separate a project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SEWERTTWO

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Just how large is this project in terms of space required on the disc and its duration?

In terms of your viewers, will their players support the DVD double layer single sided disc. If so and depending on the size of the project, that type of disc would be represented as 8.5 GB/240 minutes (in reality that 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB). Compare that to the standard DVD labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes (in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB).

Have you checked out the above.

Please supply more details so that we can give you firmer comments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Separate a project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If ATR's suggestions to perhaps use a DVD-9 disc do not work for you, I find the workflow below to work quite well for me.

1. Open the large Project, and Save_As, incrementing the Project's name, or post-pending, say "Part_01" to it.
            2. Choose the point, where I want to "break the Project in half."
            3. From that point, I Delete everything to the right. This can be easily done by "lassoing" all Assets by dragging the Cursor around every Clip.
            4. Do a Save, and you have Part 01.
            5. Open the original Project, and do the same thing, but name that, say "Part_02."
            6. Use the same process to Delete the first part, up to the point on the TimeCode, where you made your break, but once the Selection has been made of all those Assets, Rt-click and choose Delete and Close Gap.
            7. Do a Save, and you have Part 02.

Remember to do those Save_As operations, and make sure that you do alter the name in some fashion, so that you do not overwrite your Original Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Separate a project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SEVERTWO

I think that the information on the size of the project and further details of the project will direct our course.

The definition of large project will be import.

a. Are you gauging the size of the project by adding up the file sizes of the individual files and/or observing the total duration of the Timeline content

or

b. Have you established your full Timeline contain and then moved on to the sharing area and looked at the actual values for Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I am not ready to go DVD disc double layer singled sided vs DVD standard until we have estimated values for Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog just prior to you hitting Burn. To get these numbers you do not have to go through with the actual Burn. Just get the readings without hitting Burn, and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Separate a project
                SEWERTWO Level 1

Thank You for your help

• 5. Re: Separate a project
                  SEWERTWO Level 1

I am using  PE 11 and the message actually said that there was not enough disc space.  I am using win7.  My burner will not support DL but I believe I could use a double sided disc. Hunt's suggestion should work short of me trying a double sided disc. Thank you.

• 6. Re: Separate a project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SEWERTTWO

How are you setting up the Burn Dialog? With or without "Fit Content to Available Space", with or without a check mark next to it?

Please double verify whether or not your burner supports DVD double layer single sided disc. Most do. So, I ask this just to be sure that we are not missing an opportunity.

Please give the Burn Dialog Quality Area Space Required and Bitrate readings when you have your DVD 4.7 GB/120 min disc in the burner tray and you are in the burn dialog just ready to hit Burn. Be sure to have the "Fit Content to Available Space" with a check mark next to it in the burn dialog when you make those readings.

Please excuse if you have been there and done all this. But, as I said, I do not want to miss an opportunity to get your task done for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Separate a project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sewertwo,

I am surprised that your multi-drive/burner will not support DVD-9's. If it has the DVD logo on it, then it is certified to support both DVD-5's and DVD-9's. That is part of the DVD specs.. Now, when it comes to DVD hardware players, things get a bit more complicated. If they have that DVD logo on them, then they are certified to play ALL commercially replicated, pressed DVD discs. Most Hollywood releases are on DVD-9 (DL) disc. Where the problem comes in, is that none are certified to play ANY burned DVD, whether DVD-5, or DVD-9, however most do, so long as the burning is done to a high-quality blank disc, such as Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden or Falcon Pro. Still, none is certified to play any burned DVD's, but most do. I have encountered two clients, whose DVD players would just not play any burned DVD-9's - regardless of the quality of the disc, the speed and quality of the burn - they would just not play them, but those were much older players. It was actually a Project for one of those, where I had to break Projects apart, to fit them onto a set of DVD-5's.

Out of curiosity, what is the make and model of your multi-drive/burner?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Separate a project
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SEWERTWO

Just to let you know that we are in sync, Hunt's DVD-9 is the DVD type 8.5 GB/240 minutes and Hunt's DVD-5 is the DVD type 4.7 GB/120 minutes.

ATR

• 9. Re: Separate a project
                          SEWERTWO Level 1

ATR,

I was under the impression that when I looked at the burner in the Device Manager it would have a DL next to it if it supported Double Layer.

Thank You,

Morgan

• 10. Re: Separate a project
                            SEWERTWO Level 1

I used the method you previously sent me.  It worked fine.   I am burning vary large FDOT Sewer Laser videos (storm sewer final inspections).  I have instructed the crew to not put so many line segments on a single project.  I also unchecked "fit to disc" and it burned. Thank you for your continued wisdom. You have solved all my problems over the years.

• 11. Re: Separate a project
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

SewerTwo,

Glad that the separate Projects are working for you.

Also, thanks for explaining the FDOT - as it now explains your Screen Name -

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Separate a project
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Morgan

Thanks for your follow ups.

I am not sure what this method is that Hunt previously sent you. The great news is that it worked for you.

However, might I ask "What were the essentials of the method?"

a. Did you do the Premiere Elements burn to folder without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" and then use ImgBurn for taking the VIDEO_TS Folder from the Premiere Elements saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with ImgBurn?

or

b. Did you go all the way with the Premiere Elements burn to disc with "Fit Content to Available Space"?

My generalized recommendation is to have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" in the Premiere Elements burn dialog, and only have it unchecked unless you get a Data Rate error that forces you to lower the Bitrate manually to the point where the Data Rate error disappears.

Continued success with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 13. Re: Separate a project
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Morgan

Regarding

I was under the impression that when I looked at the burner in the Device Manager it would have a DL next to it if it supported Double Layer.

Typically the supported disc types are not found in the Device Manager but rather in the User Guide of the burner. I do not recall finding that information in the computer's System Information.

If you no longer have the User Guide, probably the description of the burner can be found online. If you cannot find the information, if you give me the name of your burner as shown in the Device Manager, I will try to find the disc type support information for your burner.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Separate a project
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I am guessing that the workflow referred to was the one in Reply #2, but could be incorrect.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Separate a project
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have also not seen the capabilities of a multi-drive/burner listed in System, whether in Device Manager or other.

I would go to the source, as you suggest, and check it out on the mfgr's. Web site, if the manual is not handy.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Separate a project
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

There is merit in getting the details of the burner from the web site of the manufacturer of the burner, but...

A few years back before I went Blu-ray besides DVD burn to, I purchased a HP burner that came with Nero 9 burn software. This software included several Nero applications, including the Nero Info Tool.

With it I can gather most of the technical details of the burner and the disc involved down to disc types supported and even file systems on aleady burned to discs. Even gives the serial number of the burner. Great asset even today.

I doubt many have Nero 9, but I did find the Nero Info Tool 11.02.0 as freeware today

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/nero_infotool.html

I have not tried the above link, but some might be interested in exploring the link and the Nero Info Tool's usefulness.

ATR

• 17. Re: Separate a project
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

That is a good find on the Nero Tool. I have not used it (have not had Nero is many years), but it looks interesting and useful.

Thanks for posting the link.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Separate a project
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

That Nero Info Tool has shined most when I had to verify the disc file system that Premiere Elements is using in its burn to disc. Very helpful in making ImgBurn Options decisions when Premiere Elements VIDEO_TS Folder was being taken to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with ImgBurn.

ATR