• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Disappearing and limited Undos in InDesign CC

Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Creative Cloud. I have a iMac Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 I upgraded the OS to 10.9.1 a couple of months ago in preparation. In the InDesign 9.2 CC. My text randomly disappears while I am working on it. I have to click off it then click back where I think it is and send to the front to get it back. Sometimes just zooming in and out will bring it back or other various things. It is not actually deleting the text just the view of it, but I can't work on it if I can't see it. It is really annoying and cutting into my productivity. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, I am unable to do more than 1 or 2 undos where as in CS 5 I could do multiple undos. Is that normal for CC? Is there somewhere you can set the number of undos? I could not find anything under preferences. This is also a problem as I am used to being able to go back a few steps when I change my mind on something.

Any help on either issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 204 Replies 204
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An i5 processor? Really?

I'm not a Mac user, but that sounds like a problem to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello gridirect,

Undo getting disabled/not working is been observed by some other users as well on ID 9.2 and we are trying to figure out why this is happening. Right now, this is not happening on our test envirenment.

Could you please provide us with the following information :

- Are you opening or saving the file to a network?

- When undo is disabled, are you able to Save/SaveAs your file?

- Is this happening with a particular file? if yes could you please share the file @sharewithID@adobe.com

- What happens when you create a new document and then work on it? Does undo stop working on a new document too?

Thanks,

Dinkar

Indesign Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinkar,

1. I am opening and saving files to my hard drive not across a network although my computer is set up so it can be accessed on our network.

2. I have been able to save or save as my files. Once yesterday a file did not save, but luckily the latest version was on my Time Machine Back up. I don’t think it had anything to do with an “undo” .

3. This is happening with all my files, but so far the only files I had opened were old files that had already been created in InDesign CS5

4. I created a new document to see if the Undo worked and the answer is I have the same issue. It allowed 2 undos where as in my previous InDesign it was much higher number.

Let me know if you come up with anything.

Any thought on my other issue with disappearing Text?

Laura Farrell

The GRI Marketing Group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinkar,

I had the saving problem again today and It was not related to an undo. I was making changes to an old file and when I saved It. It saved to my desktop instead of over the old file. I then dragged the new file from the desktop onto my Hard drive. It asked if I wanted to replace the old file. I said yes. It looked like it worked, but when I opened it the original older version was there and the new version was lost. I had not used the “undo” command at all during this process.

Laura

GRI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last thing. On average I get 2 undos, but sometimes it is 1 or none.

Laura Farrell

GRI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys getting close to fixing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the disappearing text issue, I've also had issues where a line will reflow and it will be rendered twice or cut off. Zooming out corrects it. I've noticed this issue primarily on files I've worked on that have come from a server environment (I only work locally, but my clients send me files that have been housed on their corporate servers). My client has noted the same issue in her files -- and she's working on a much newer computer than me, so not sure this is hardware related or not. I'm here today hunting around for forums to see if the laundry list of problems I've been having are known or unique, guess this one is known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gridirect for providing the details. Your problem is similar to the problems that other users are also facing ( undo gets disabled after 2-3 undo's). As I said, we are working on it and would surely let you know as soon as we get to narrow it down.

Meanwhile, Could you also tell us if you have made some changes in the defaults settings of Mavericks? What other software are there on the system?

We have not heard the text dissapearing issue before. Is it possible to share the file @sharewithID@adobe.com. We will see if can reproduce the issue with that.

Thanks,

Dinkar

InDesign Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I got really busy at work and did not get back to you. Yesterday or the day before there was an OS update 10.9.2 and Since then I have not noticed the disappearing text and I just did a test on a new document with undos and was able to do multiple undos so I think the problem is resolved. I want to open one of the Larger files that was giving me a lot of trouble and see if the text issue is definitely cleared up. Will let you know.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon:(

Both problems started happening again. I will post one of the files at the address below that the problems started with again.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, mine seems to be cured, looks like I can undo loads, and I havent encountered the text problem as of yet.

My OS is now 10.9.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2014 Apr 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having similar problems with ID-CC: I have one file that I can't save or save-as although (knock wood!) that appears to be the only file where that happens. It doesn't seem to be a network issue -- the issue occurs whether I try to save that particular file locally or across the network, and the issue DOESN't occur with others, whether saved locally or networked.

The bigger problem is the lack of undo/redo, since that one appears to go across the board, affecting all files.

I have deleted/replaced the preferences, tried using CC with/without other programs running, tried using different fonts in the unsavable file, in case I had a corrupted font, all to no effect.

I'm stumped.

I'm using InDesign CC v. 9.2.1 on a 3.2 GHz iMac running OS X 10.9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have still not resolved these issues. When I reset the preferences it does clear up, but then after a while the problem returns so I am resetting my preferences every couple of days. I can’t figure out what triggers it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues i.e. no multiple undos and randomly disappearing text. OSX 10.9.2 + Indesign CC 9.2.1.

I would be grateful if you could resolve these issuses as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Just wondering if this has been resolved as of yet?

If not, I may have to considar downgrading as it is a serious issue for me.

Thanks

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

Sorry, I got really busy at work and did not get back to you. Yesterday or the day before there was an OS update 10.9.2 and Since then I have not noticed the disappearing text and I just did a test on a new document with undos and was able to do multiple undos so I think the problem is resolved. I want to open one of the Larger files that was giving me a lot of trouble and see if the text issue is definitely cleared up. Will let you know.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Opened an older document that was created in an earlier in design version and the undos are fixed there too.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last upgrade appears to have fixed both problems. Neither of my issues have happened in the last 2 days and I have opened old files and created new ones.

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to the numbers really - I too get the text disappearing which is annoying (seems to have coincided with a Mac OS upgrade, though could be a coincidence).

And whether related or not seem to be down to one undo which again is a bit of a pain. I'm managing to work with these 'quirks' but it's very annoying and effects a smooth work-flow.

Deano968

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added - I'm up-to-date with the CC suite and running OSX 10.9.2 on an iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here...

Running Indesign CC 9.2.1 on Mac OS 10.9.2

First noticed the problem after upgrading to Mavericks last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having these problems also... type disappearing when selecting and limited undos. 

InDesign CC 9.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.2 on MacBook Pro

Is this problem being looked into?  Anyone heard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are looking into the limited undo issue. Has anyone tried disabling Extensis plugin? We have seen few users problem getting resolved after disabling the extensis plugin. Though the problem is there for users not using extensis plugin. But there are cases in which extensis plugn is conflicting with InDesign on Mavericks. Please give a try and let us know.

For the text dissapearing issue, Can anyone provide some steps or files with which the issue is reproducible? Kindly share the file @sharewithID@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Dinkar

InDesign Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been following this forum for a while. I have the text issue but not the undo problem -- I'm not an extensis user. I made a video of a similar bug I experienced, but it's not exactly the same but close. You can see the video here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6156888#6156888

My most recent issues with text disappearing similar to what people report here (without the grayscreen just the line of text) was in a decent sized file (about 30MB) where one page had text set in many different tables and cells. Anytime I tried to edit the cell of text, the text would disappear. I'm not sure if I have the file still, as I ended up rebuilding it in boxes to solve the problem. I'll see if I can dig it up.

edit: I found the file and will send it to the email above. Even removing the extra pages it still exhibits this bad behavior on my computer (Intel MacPro running OS 10.7.5 with all updated CC and no Extensis).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines