7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 4:33 PM by Rick Gerard

Morphing multiple objects into one.

iansback6847

I'm having trouble morphing 4 pictures into one. Any clue how because I don't know where to start being as I am a newbie to the motion graphics and eager to learn.

• 1. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are new, start here. If you don't get a solid grasp on this stuff, you will end up very frustrated.

That being said, what kind of images are you talking about?

Also, what do you mean when you use the word "morph"? I've heard that word used to mean several different things, so I don't want us to steer you in the wrong direction.

• 2. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
            iansback6847 Level 1

In the grand scheme of things I'm trying to show four different objects on the screen coming together in the middle creating a final image. In turn, I have five images total with the fifth one coming into creation after the four elements meet in the middle. I'm assuming this is "morph" or a "reshape" type of animation. But, you guys are more fluent with this program than I.

• 3. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use any of a number of Distort effects to change the shape of your transitioning layers. You will probably also want to animate their position. How do you envision this morph occuring? Is there a flash of light as they transition or are you hoping for a seamless transition from the four to the one? Do you have some screenshots showing the images you want to use?

Here is a tutorial on morphing from one image to another. It's a very old tutorial - from version 5.5! (For perspective, the current version is 12.2. And don't be fooled by the CS numbering system. AE CS5.5 was version 10.5.)

Anyway, is this the kind of thing you were looking to do?

Morphing is not a beginner-level kind of thing. I strongly recommend you go through the resources I linked in my first post before you attempt anything in AE.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
                iansback6847 Level 1

I was hoping for a seamless transisition from the four to the one. I do not have the images physically yet as Im awaiting them from my partner in this. I have some background in this program, but its simple stuff like animating a figure and bouncing a ball. I appreciate the resources and will be going through them now and tonight. I understand its not an easy task.

The tutorial is exactly what I'm looking for at getting my completed project. After I read over and watch the resources from above I will attempt the morph with dumby images and and experiment. I really appreciate this. You might have salvaged my creative view on this project. If I have any questions or roadblocks I will reply to this thread.

• 5. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This depends entirely on the kind of images. Simple shapes can be morphed using path animations. Images of something like a face require software like ReVisionFX Reflex or other "Morphing" software. Without some idea of the kind of image pointing you in the right direction is kind of hard... We've got about a 1 in 100 chance of hitting on a solution that would work for you.

• 6. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
                    iansback6847 Level 1

It looks like I'm going with simple somewhat simple vector shapes made in Illustrator. I just found out from my team. Does this help you help me?

• 7. Re: Morphing multiple objects into one.
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would set this up entirely in illustrator and use this technique that I wrote a tutorial for a zillion years ago:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/gerard_rick/morph.php

You simply set up your different shapes in Illustrator, use the blend mode to create up to 256 intermediate shapes between them,  expand them, release them to layers, and then import as a comp in AE and sequence the layers.

1 person found this helpful