3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 11:16 AM by inkspiration

How can I expand text fields in my PDF file which I built in Forms Central?

JBinReno Level 1

I'm working in Windows 7 and just created my first form in Forms Central. I have many text fields that I intended for the end user to be able to type as much information in them as necessary. I selected the "multiple lines of text" setting for each of these fields. I was told by someone at Adobe a while back when I was trying to decide on learning LiveCycle Designer or using the much more user-friendly Forms Central that the form fields would not automatically expand in the PDF form, but that I would be able to click or drag on the fields manually to expand them so that, ultimately, they could be printed with all the comments, for however many pages it would take. I've exported my Forms Central form to a PDF file. However, when I type multiple lines of text in the form fields I set up to be "unlimited," I cannot get the form fields to expand. What have I done wrong? Help, please!

• 1. Re: How can I expand text fields in my PDF file which I built in Forms Central?
          Drewy62 Adobe Employee

Formscentral doesn't support dynamic sizing of fields. This is a feature that is supported by Livecycle designer files. I am sorry that you were given the wrong information. In Formscentral muttiline text fields scroll, but don't actually grow dynamically. Our advise is to size the field in Formscentral as large as you think the longest answer will be. If this is not practical you may have to consider switching to Livecycle for your forms workflow.

Andrew

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I expand text fields in my PDF file which I built in Forms Central?
            JBinReno Level 1

Andrew,

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I have to figure out how to get out of hot water with my boss, as I told her I needed the upgrade to Acrobat XI so that I could create the forms we need with the expandable form fields (based solely on what I was told by the representative from Adobe!). It looks like I'm going to have to learn LiveCycle Designer. I have absolutely no programming experience at all. Would you happen to be able to point me in the best direction for getting training, taking into account my complete ignorance in this area?

Thanks again very much for your response.

Janice

• 3. Re: How can I expand text fields in my PDF file which I built in Forms Central?
              inkspiration

We are dealing with a similar situation.  We have downloaded LiveCycle and created the form, but as we knew would happen, the changes that come for the content of the form are causing us to max our trial version, and as soon as the form needs a change outside of the trial time period, we are faced with the next dilemma, as Adobe doesn't offer to purchase a single license at a reasonable rate.  The only reason we wanted LiveCycle was for the dynamic field feature.  I plead with you to consider offering that feature in Forms Central.  The other issue that we are having is that our users sometimes need to paste a table into the expandable text field.  Is that even possible in Live Cycle?  We don't at this point need the web-based functioning that Live Cycle offers. Thank you.