11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 10:48 PM by Pierre Devereux

Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any advice out there on a shot I am working on. We have gone around for a while now, with many changes for artistic reasons etc. As a result, I am at a dead end on what I can do to make this shot feel more 3D.

Capture1.JPG

The background is a live set, the yellow stripes are where the characters will be, with the larger "Stripe" being the point of origin of the light show. Each planet is a seperate layer, precomped into a "Planets" layer. There is also a precomp of a starfield as well. over the course of the shot, the planets do rotate, and also revolve slightly around the sun, so a feeling of the eliptical paths is there. I just cant get over the feeling that it is still too flat?

any suggestions

Thank you

Pierre

• 1. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If this is a "holo projector" thing, it would live by the scattered light bein visible on the wally and ceiling. Further, such system's would require a scattering medium, hence you would have to add some smokey atmosphere. I'd also add a lot more backscattering/ fringe glow on the planes from the sun and desaturate the ma bit. This looks all a bit too pristine to my eyes.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. My fisrt impression is also that things look too "good", but.... this is for a kids show, so colour is king - for this, its more about what looks nice, than what looks real.

Its tough, I am fighting against making it look realistic, and trying to keep it really beautiful. Ill try some of the smokey and lighting suggestions.

Thanks again..

Pierre

• 3. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Then perhaps try something different and stylize the planets more. You could e.g. double their sizes while retaining their propertions and orbits and posterize their textures a bit....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

What Herr Mylenium says: desaturate farther planets and make them more dissolved in the sun light (transparent), even make them slightly defocused.

• 5. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                  Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hey Fuzzy,

Intro gets released online this friday - very exciting stuff - Ill send the links.

Thanks for the advice, both of you - ill go try some things now.

Pierre

• 6. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I take it the Sun is light source illuminating the planets, and the projector is a display device for the solar system image we see.

It appears that Saturn is closest to us.  If the Sun's lighting it up, it wouldn't be seen fully illuminate; it would be closer to a crescent.  An error in illumination angles exists.  But then, I don't know how closely this has to stick to reality -- I could be way off in my observation!

• 7. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                      Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Dave,

I cant tell you how happy I am to get a reply from you - Its been quite some time since I had a comment from you!

You are 100% right about the light crescent - (I should actually have seen that one myself) The only problem, is the part you mention, where I dont need to stick to "Reality". Quite often I come up with a scene thats close to reality, and I need to change it to rather "look" nicer.

I will take all the advice above and make some changes, but I am not sure they will be accepted. Apart from the crispness, and the lighting, somehow, it just doesnt "feel" 3D to me, and I just cant figure out why my brain is telling me this.

Thanks guys - always appreciated!

Pierre

• 8. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Pierre, you can do the 'Egg exercise' in order to understand how light behaves in 3D and hence improve the 3D feel of your scene. Just set up a light source to imitate your sun and a couple of eggs distributed in space to imitate planets and take a reference shot.

Alternatively you can build similar setup in a 3D application (if I remember correctly, you already tried to dabble with Blender).

• 9. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Pierre...

IMHO the most important thing you can do to sell a shot is lighting. It looks like you kind of have that worked out but it could use a little more drama. There are no soft shadows in space but there may be some ambient light. I'm also seeing haloes around some of the planets. I'd get rid of them unless you are trying to simulate atmosphere, and in that case, the halo should only appear when the planet is very close to the camera.

If you are using CCSphere to make them then you can hook up an expression to quite accurately simulate the light that would be falling on the planets as they orbit around the sun.

• 10. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Fuzzy,

Yeah, "dabbled" is the right word. Couldn't get enough time with it though, but I like the "egg test" you mentioned. Ill give it a go. (3 days and counting....)

Pierre

• 11. Re: Suggestions on getting a more 3D feel
                              Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Rick,

I was requested to add the halo to each planet to give it a more "holographic" feel. It is the look they want. Also, when I first added the nice hard shadows, they felt the planets were not bright enough - keeping in mind, for a childrens show, we need "Pretty" over real.

It can be a bit hard finding that balance, and I agree, the biggest issue from keeping the scene looking really 3D is the lighting. I will have to see how far I can push it!

Out of interest (and maybe for some future planet scenes) - you would not happen to have that expression lying around somewhere would you?

Thanks for the reply guys

Pierre