9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 10:42 AM by A.T. Romano

Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?

SSchnedler

Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?

• 1. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SSchnedler

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

How many cameras will be going into your multicam editing?

Generalizing, Premiere Elements has been used by many to do a multicam camera schemes of 2 or 3 cameras, using video cuts and/or opacity changes in the tracks. There is no multicam editing feature or mode as there is in Premiere Pro.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
            SSchnedler Level 1

Thanks A.T.

I have used Premiere Pro 2.0 in the past but have had to reinstall on Windows 7 (which I had before on Win7 and it worked fine, but the motherboard died, so thus a new system and reinstall), but I have not been able to get it installed correctly. I click on the icon and it flashes the program and disappers. Adobe has not been helpful other to send me to the forums and I haven't gotten any answers there either. So I am looking at the need to upgrade, but I can't afford the full-blown version, which is why I was asking about Elements.

It is three cameras, but I think you may have answered my question with your last sentence, in that Elements does not have the multicam editing feature. Thanks so much for your help, not what I wanted to hear (LOL), but at least I got my answer.

Thanks!

Steven

• 3. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steven

If you are used to the Premiere Pro feature customized for multicam editing, then doing it in Premiere Elements may require a period of adjustment which you may not be willing to take on.

Many Premiere Elements users have been successful with the program and adapting the what is, usually not in excess of 3 cameras. If you have the time, it may be worth taking a look at. It is not all that complicated in "working around" the absence of a built in multicam feature.

Premiere Pro CS6 or CC is on a subscription basis. Does not make the program any more affordable?

I would give Premiere Elements a first hand look with regard to multicam editing even without a built in multicam feature.

Wishing you success with whatever your decision.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

Unlike Premiere Pro, PrE does not have Multi-cam functionality.

However, one CAN edit multi-cam, just not with the power provided by PrPro. There are no Multi-cam Monitors, and one often has to adjust a Clip's Opacity, to see what is "below it," on the Timeline.

It can be done, but with more "hand-work."

There are several threads on this forum, on how to do multi-cam in PrE, and those should be very useful. In most cases, the users DID get those edits done, just not as smoothly, as they could have, if they owned PrPro with full Multi-cam support.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steven

I am not trying to sell Premiere Elements for this multicam editing, but...

when one refers to getting the job done smoother in Premiere Pro, I would offer that the smoother is not in the comparative  quality of the end product but in the user's perceived level of difficulty in getting the job done. Not all perceive the getting the job done in Premiere Elements as laborous, some even describe it as "easy", at least to the extend of 2 or 3 camera involvement.

Just my commentary.

ATR

• 6. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR.

However, "smoother," IS much more editor friendly, as there are many special functions, just for Multi-cam.

While one can use PrE, there is much to be desired.

It is exactly like driving a nail with a crescent wrench - it can be done, but a hammer is the better tool.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Sorry, but I need to agree to disagree with your colorful description of the comparision.

I could dig out the happy threads on the Premiere Elements side of things. But, I will not pursue to

beyond views exchanged.

It is getting late here and miles to go before calling it a day.

ATR

• 8. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

While one CAN edit multi-cam in PrE, the process is markedly different from doing Multi-cam in PrPro. That function in PrPro is so very powerful, and easy, and there are no workarounds, until one has more sources, than Multi-cam can handle. Then, one needs to use Nested Sequences, to get more sources into the mix, but again, that is not available in PrE, as it does not have Sequence, Nested, or otherwise.

IIRC, you have PrPro CS 2. Is so, you might want to take the same multiple camera material, and edit it in PrE, then in PrPro, using Multi-cam. The differences are dramatic.

I have done a bit in PrE, just to explore workflows, but if I had to do it for a client, and had PrPro, it would be Multi-cam, which I would use any day. If I did not have access to PrPro, then I would just live with the various workaround in PrE. As stated above, it CAN be done, just not as easily.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Will Adobe Elements edit multicam sequences?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

No further comments from me on this, as I said, views exchanged.

But, maybe just, one tiny note. I have had access to Premiere Pro and have used its multicam editing feature. So, I have tried both sides.

ATR