5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 5:57 PM by Carl Sun

Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager

JohnGordon1972

As per the title - I have an extension installed that doesn't appear in Extension Manager. Not sure why, it was ages ago that I installed it. It obviously is installed though as I can use it in Dreamweaver.

I know need to upgrade the extension, and need to uninstall the current version - how do I go about unstalling it it if I can't uninstall it using Extension Manager?

• 1. Re: Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager
          Carl Sun Level 4

Are you using CS6/CS5.5/…?

If the extension is a CSXS extension (zxp without mxi file in it), you can delete it from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions" on Windows or "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions"  on Mac. For CS5.5, change “6” to “5.5”.

If it is an ordinary extension (mxp or zxp with a mxi file in it), the simplest way is to install it with Extension Manager again then remove it.

• 2. Re: Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager
            JohnGordon1972 Level 1

Sorry - using CC on a Mac.

Following your direction, I found them in ../Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/EM Store.

EDIT - Although having said that, after deleting the extension in there, I am still able to use its functionality in DW. Confusing!

EDIT - After deleting them and relaunching EM, it now hangs with the spinning clock. After undeleting the file, the same. Annoying!

• 3. Re: Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager
              Carl Sun Level 4

I guess you are using CS6 or earlier because you said “it was ages ago” and CC was released not so long.

The “EM Store” folder is only a repository of extension installers so that Extension Manager can enable extensions. It has nothing to do with how DW uses it.

You’d better install it again then remove it.

• 4. Re: Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager
                JohnGordon1972 Level 1

Thanks - am just in the process of reinstalling EM.

You're right - it was only 8 months ago, although I was using CC for the year before whilst CS6 was out. Think I'm one of the few people who actually likes CC!

EDIT - Reinstalled EM, but same thing - hangs with a spinning clock. Getting bored now. (Not to mention not getting any work done.)

• 5. Re: Uninstalling extensions that don't show up in Extension Manager
                  Carl Sun Level 4

I didn't want you to reinstall Extension Manager, I just want you to reinstall the extension with Extension Manager then remove the extension.

Please try to run EM as administrator firstly.

1. Run "/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app".

2. Input the following command then press "Return" key. Don't miss the double quotation marks.

sudo "/Applications/Adobe Extension Manager CC/Adobe Extension Manager CC.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Extension Manager CC"

3. Input password of administrative user then press "Return" key.

If it works, you can try to run EM in normal way.

If it doesn't work and you have installed only few extensions, you can simply delete "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Configuration/DB/ExMan.db". After that Extension Manager shouldn't hang anymore but all extensions you have installed will not be shown in Extension Manager, although they still work fine in DW. You can install them again if you want to manage them.

If you don't want this way, you have to generate log files for troubleshooting.

1. In Terminal window, run the following commands in turn:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Extension\ Manager\ CC/

mkdir Log

cd Log

touch ExManCoreLibLog.YES

2. Open Finder, hold down "option" key, click menu "Go"->"Library" to go into hidden Library folder, then go to its subfolder "Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CC/Log", check whether file ExManCoreLibLog.YES exists.

3. Launch EM.

4. After EM hangs, force quit it, send the log file in the Log folder above to exman.beijing@gmail.com.