12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 11:05 AM by JimHess

Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5

gitan_reel@yahoo.com

Hello,

I decided to migrate from RAW to DNG, 

how can I convert the wholw Lr catalog without loosing my edit, rating, metadata, (all what is applied to my RAW files)

what will I loose by converting all my images to DNG, ?

thanks in advance    

• 1. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do the conversion in Lightroom you shouldn't lose any of your adjustments or ratings or metadata. You can choose not to delete the original raw images, and they will still be in the folder although it will be the DNG files that will display in Lightroom. I don't think you will lose anything. But what is it that you think you will gain by converting to DNG?

• 2. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
            mcucinat Level 3

Short answer: in 99% of cases, you don't lose anything. But you will not be able to edit the files in the original software.

Longer answer:

if you convert a RAW to DNG with the last DNG converter/ACR/Lightroom, all the data will be still there, even the private manufacturers' data.

But the original software (DPP for Canon, ViewNX for Nikon, etc) will not be able to read them, since they do not implement the full DNG specs.

Se my post at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1414404#6155513 .

there are indeed some cases where you lose data: for example, Sigma DP Merril / Foveon data is linearized during the RAW-DNG conversion (look at http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/specification.htm for an explication).

And some cameras have blind photosites and other internal settings that are not saved to DNG since they are useless.

You also lose CRCs of the original files, like Nikon and Canon Image Authentication (well, it is not a severe issue, as these authentication systems have been cracked in 2011: http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/28/both-nikon-and-canons-image-authentication-systems-busted /)

As JimHess said, you don't lose any metadata applied by Lightroom, since they are saved in the Catalog and in the related XMP file.

What you gain with DNG?

- DNG is an open format, so you are sure that, in the case the manufacturer closes or decides not to support anymore your model, at least you have the full specifications to get back your data.

- XMP files are saved inside DNG, and not as a sidecar file, so you don't risk to lose your modifications when using the OS filesystem actions to move files (LR automatically moved RAW & XMP files)

- a DNG is usually lighter

• 3. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
              gitan_reel@yahoo.com Level 1

Thank you JimHess & mcucinat

I'm migrating for file size and DNG Fast load data (That I did not try yet)

everything that makes my work faster and free up some space on my hard drive ,

• 4. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                mcucinat Level 3

Indeed, DNG 1.4 specs has Fast load data, which can speed up a lot the workflows.

And you also have another spec, less known, called Tiling: the image is divided in several tiles, and a well-written code can process them on different CPU cores.

Parallel processing -> Great speed.

• 5. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                  gitan_reel@yahoo.com Level 1

@mcucinat , Converting in Lightroom you mean , exporing as DNGs to the same folder?

if not what is the fastest way?

• 6. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                    mcucinat Level 3

My preferred method to convert to DNG in LR is to select the photos and go to Library -> "Convert photo to DNG".

Set the compatibility to ACR 7.1+ (in order to have DNG 1.4) and Embed fast load data.

I also check "Delete originals after successful conversion", this way you get just the DNG.

• 7. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                      areohbee Level 6

mcucinat wrote:

I also check "Delete originals after successful conversion", this way you get just the DNG.

I recommend having an archive copy somewhere safe before doing that, unless ya don't mind the idea of not being able to read your DNG in some software, and no original raw anymore - oops.

• 8. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                        mcucinat Level 3

You are right as a general precaution, but in my case, since I never used ViewNX and the new ViewNX-D has lost U-Points, I will stick to Adobe (or other DNG compatible raw processor).

This is obviously my point of view and my workflow, I don't suggest all the rest of the world to tdo the same thing.

Personally, I see no point in using the original NIkon software, neither to be stuck to one of the NEF proprietary sub formats.  I know DNG open specs and I trust it as the best option to store RAW data.

OTOH, Leica users do have DNG as RAW format, Pentax 645 too, and this is not seen as an handicap.

• 9. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5

Sounds like you are confident that you will always use Adobe software. Adobe is the only company that you can be sure will support DNG in the future. It's not a mainstream format yet.

• 10. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                            mcucinat Level 3

Nope, I can be sure that ANY software company can virtually support DNG. because it is the only RAW standard which has Open specifications. No other RAW  format is fully disclosed, with an Open license SDK and source code, as DNG. Converters/libraries for other RAW formats are issued from reverse engineering.

And what do you mean for "Mainstream"?

Other than Adobe, Raw DNG is read by Dcraw (and all sofwares developed on top of it), and others (http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/products_y7.htmhttp://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/products_y7.htm) , and is produced by Leica, Hasselblad, Sinar, Pentax, Samsung, Canon with CHDK and others

What software reads CR2? Adobe, DPP and Dcraw derivates. and is produced only by Canon cameras

What software reads NEF? Adobe, CaptureNX and Dcraw derivates. and is produced only by Nikon cameras

So, if for you Mainstream = N° of raw files produced in the world in an year, OK, you're right, CR2 > NEF > DNG.

But I have another definition for Mainstream. # of compatible producers & readers, not quantity of pics taken.

• 11. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5
                              areohbee Level 6

I'd agree DNG is a mainstream format, but the issue with tossing originals is simple:

* For sure you won't be able to read the DNGs in camera manufacturer's software, or other non-DNG-supporting software, AND

* Some (DNG-supporting) software can read the originals but not the Adobe-converted DNGs - this is more common than some people might think.

If you're comfortable with that, then no need to keep originals, otherwise best to keep them, at least for some years until we see how the format dust settles...

Rob

• 12. Re: Help Migrating to DNG with Lr5

Okay, maybe "mainstream" wasn't a good choice of words. But manufacturers software from Canon or Nikon isn't going to read DNG. If you ever need to resort to DPP for some reason you wouldn't be able to use your DNG files. If that's no big concern then I guess there's nothing wrong with converting to DNG. But I still prefer working with my original NEF files. It's a personal thing, I know. I guess I'll just stop arguing against DNG even though I'm not sold on it.