2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2006 5:38 AM by Newsgroup_User

strange results in calculation

blemmo Level 1
      Hello there,

I could need another pair of eyes, or maybe another brain here: For a miniature of a big area, I want to calculate the position of an object from the position in the big screen. The calculation is
      original pos / big area size * small area size
      I think this should be right for getting the relative position in the small screen.
      However, Flash comes up with strange results:
      (20+5000) / (2*5000) * 119 = 2439.5
      it should result in 59.738 for this calculation. The code for this looks like this:

omc._x = (omc.x + this.controlr.MAX) / (2*this.controlr.MAX) * this.display.width;

where omc.x is the x position in the big screen (here 20), MAX is 5000, 2*MAX is the complete size (the point 0,0 is in the middle, so it's 10000 big), and the small screen is display.width.
      The values seem to be right; the calculation above (20+5000...) was traced from the code. However, the result is totally wrong, and I have no idea why. Any ideas on this?

blemmo
        • 1. Re: strange results in calculation
          blemmo Level 1
          d'oh... just realized the numbers came in as strings... so it all looked good in the trace, but calculating strings with numbers isn't very exact...

darn... I should remember to use the debugger more often.

cheers,
          blemmo
          • 2. Re: strange results in calculation
            Level 7
            Ha! Rock on, blemmo. :) Glad you found it.

David
            stiller (at) quip (dot) net
            Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

"blemmo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:e6u6rs$a41$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > d'oh... just realized the numbers came in as strings... so it all looked
            > good
            > in the trace, but calculating strings with numbers isn't very exact...
            >
            > darn... I should remember to use the debugger more often.
            >
            > cheers,
            > blemmo
            >