7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2006 9:53 AM by Newsgroup_User

Using the "intellisense" dialogs.

Level 7
      Am I weird, or is everybody unable to use the keyboard to navigate the
      intellisense dialogs that pop up whenever one starts writing a tag or
      putting in properties. I find this incredibly annoying and counter
      productive. I am getting into the habit of hitting the [ESC] key every
      few keystrokes so that I can keep typing without going to my mouse.

I just can't believe this is by design and unchangeable. Is it?
      Because if it is, I may end up trying to create my mxml in a text editor.

Ian Skinner
        • 1. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
          Level 7
          Hi Ian,
          > Am I weird, or is everybody unable to use the keyboard to navigate the
          > intellisense dialogs that pop up whenever one starts writing a tag or
          > putting in properties. I find this incredibly annoying and counter
          > productive. I am getting into the habit of hitting the [ESC] key every
          > few keystrokes so that I can keep typing without going to my mouse.

What behavior are you seeing? In general, the way the code hint popups
          are supposed to work is that you can keep typing and basically ignore
          them if you want--that is, they shouldn't be trapping normal text
          keystrokes. If you do want to use the popup, you should be able to use
          the up/down arrows to navigate to the right item (or keep typing to
          filter the list more), then hit ENTER to insert the selected item.

If you want to turn them off entirely, you can do this from Window >
          Preferences, in the Flex > Editors category. Under both ActionScript
          Editor and MXML Editor, select the Code Assist category, and uncheck
          "Enable auto-activation". After doing this, you can bring up code hints
          manually by hitting Ctrl-Space.

Hope this helps.

--
          nj
          Flex Builder team
          • 2. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
            Level 7
            Narciso (nj) Jaramillo (Adobe) wrote:
            In general, the way the code hint popups are supposed to work is that
            you can keep typing and basically ignore them if you want--that is, they
            shouldn't be trapping normal text keystrokes. If you do want to use the
            popup, you should be able to use the up/down arrows to navigate to the
            right item (or keep typing to filter the list more), then hit ENTER to
            insert the selected item.

That is what I would have expected from a modern IDE. But it does not
            work that way for me. As soon as the hint popup appears most keystrokes
            seem to be ignored. I can not continue to type, I can not use the arrow
            to scroll, I can only [ESC] which does close the popup. I can also use
            the mouse to scroll and select, but that can be very time consuming when
            there are many choices.

If this matters I have the Flex Builder 2 Beta 3 installed on my Windows
            2000 Server workstation. I believe I may have had the same problem in
            Beta 1, but I did not get much of a chance to play with flex at that
            time. And by the time I got back to it Beta 3 came out the day after I
            installed beta 2.
            • 3. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
              Level 7
              Hi Ian,
              > That is what I would have expected from a modern IDE. But it does not
              > work that way for me. As soon as the hint popup appears most keystrokes
              > seem to be ignored. I can not continue to type, I can not use the arrow
              > to scroll, I can only [ESC] which does close the popup. I can also use
              > the mouse to scroll and select, but that can be very time consuming when
              > there are many choices.
              >
              > If this matters I have the Flex Builder 2 Beta 3 installed on my Windows
              > 2000 Server workstation. I believe I may have had the same problem in
              > Beta 1, but I did not get much of a chance to play with flex at that
              > time. And by the time I got back to it Beta 3 came out the day after I
              > installed beta 2.

That definitely sounds like a bug. Are you using the standalone or
              Eclipse plug-in version of Flex Builder? Also, can you think of any
              special programs you might be running or non-default system preferences
              that could affect the way keystrokes are handled (e.g. driver software
              for a specific keyboard, accessibility features turned on in Windows, etc.)?

Thanks.

--
              nj
              Flex Builder team
              • 4. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
                Level 7
                Narciso (nj) Jaramillo (Adobe) wrote:
                That definitely sounds like a bug. Are you using the standalone or
                Eclipse plug-in version of Flex Builder? Also, can you think of any
                special programs you might be running or non-default system preferences
                that could affect the way keystrokes are handled (e.g. driver software
                for a specific keyboard, accessibility features turned on in Windows, etc.)?

Thanks.

I am using the standalone version. I can't think of anything specific
                that is unusual about my system concerning keyboards or strokes. I have
                a standard Microsoft "Natural" keyboard. I don't have any
                accessibilities settings configured that I know of. I have a few little
                systray applications for things like a clock, a background switcher,
                antivirus and antispybot. The system is set up as a server with
                ColdFusion and IIS running for my development. And hopefully eventually
                Flex Enterprise Data Services or whatever it is called these days.
                I usually have a couple of email clients running, MS Outlook and
                thunderbird, a browser or two, IE and/or Firefox, and my development
                environments. Almost always Dreamweaver, and while I'm playing with
                Flex, Flex Builder.

Thats all I can think of without digging into a systems report. My day
                is done here, so I will try tomorrow by just running Flex Builder by
                itself, as well as turning off all non-critical systray apps.
                • 5. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
                  Level 7
                  I tried it this morning and had the same result. The tool tips lock out
                  most of my keyboard. I can only esc or use the mouse to scroll and select.

Ian Skinner wrote:
                  >My day is done here, so I will try tomorrow by just running Flex Builder by
                  >itself, as well as turning off all non-critical systray apps.
                  • 6. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
                    Level 7
                    Ian Skinner wrote:
                    > I tried it this morning and had the same result. The tool tips lock out
                    > most of my keyboard. I can only esc or use the mouse to scroll and select.
                    >
                    > Ian Skinner wrote:
                    >
                    >> My day is done here, so I will try tomorrow by just running Flex
                    >> Builder by itself, as well as turning off all non-critical systray apps.

We're not able to reproduce your bug in house. Are you using any IME?
                    Can you think of anything else you have running? Can you write up some
                    steps to reproduce your bug? What kind of document are you editing
                    (ActionScript or MXML)?

thanks,

winsha
                    • 7. Re: Using the "intellisense" dialogs.
                      Level 7
                      I don't have any IME? type application running of which I know. I
                      reinstalled the Flex Builder 2 Beta 3 editor yesterday and the problems
                      continue to exist. When I have some time, I intend to download the
                      installer again, completely remove my current copy and see if that helps.

w wrote:
                      > Ian Skinner wrote:
                      >> I tried it this morning and had the same result. The tool tips lock
                      >> out most of my keyboard. I can only esc or use the mouse to scroll
                      >> and select.
                      >>
                      >> Ian Skinner wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> My day is done here, so I will try tomorrow by just running Flex
                      >>> Builder by itself, as well as turning off all non-critical systray apps.
                      >
                      > We're not able to reproduce your bug in house. Are you using any IME?
                      > Can you think of anything else you have running? Can you write up some
                      > steps to reproduce your bug? What kind of document are you editing
                      > (ActionScript or MXML)?
                      >
                      > thanks,
                      >
                      > winsha