3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 12:56 PM by Noel Carboni

XMP file problem

Polar Tim

As a photo archivist at a museum I need to be able to fill in the description fields of the xmp file before the image is created. My work flow is exceptionally inefficient due to wait time as the scanner creates the image file. Short of using two scanners and two computers is there a function or step within photoshop that will allow me to create an xmp file out ahead of the image file?

• 1. Re: XMP file problem
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Can you use the scanner software from another application (or as a standalone application)?  That could allow you to fill in the data in a blank Photoshop document while it's scanning, then you could overlay the scan into the document later.

-Noel

• 2. Re: XMP file problem
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I'm wondering if Photoshop version is going to make a difference from the point of view of image size.  Have we always been able to paste a layer bigger than the canvas for instance?  I am pretty sure the answer is yes.

But Noel's idea would work perfectly, and I suspect the OP's version of Photoshop is too new to support TWAIN.

So there you are.  Create a new document and start filling in the EXIF data in Bridge.  Then duplicate the scanned artwork into that document and flatten.

• 3. Re: XMP file problem
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Good point Trevor...  Placing the artwork onto a minimal document Photoshop, then doing Image - Reveal All (and following with Layer - Flatten as you said) should do the job of sizing the canvas.

-Noel