5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 1:42 PM by Rick Gerard

Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition

tkpippin

mesh-artifact.png

I'm having a problem with my puppet tool in my After Effects composition–I'm getting this strange mesh line artifact.  The layers have been imported from an Illustrator file.  The boy has six puppet pin points.  Hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck and head.  The actual animation of the puppet looks great, however, the problem arises with the zooming in and zooming out and panning over.  I'm zooming in and panning over to the boy with a camera layer and null object layer before the puppet animation and then zooming out and panning away from the boy when it is over, and it's as if the mesh outline is following my null object layer during the pan and zoom...  The boy is not on a pre-comp, and I tried to put in pre-comp to see if it made a difference but it does not.  I also tried expanding the mesh but it doesn't work either.  Any suggestions? 

• 1. Re: Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may be just a display artifact. How does it look with a ram preview after you have purged the cache?

You cannot have any animation except puppet pin on the layer you have applied puppet pin to. Moving the camera over the layer should work just fine as long as nothing except puppet pin is animated on that layer.

You also cannot apply puppet on moving video or animated pre-comps. Puppet pin creates a mesh from the alpha channel of the first frame. If that first frame changes the mesh breaks and you end up with a mess.

• 2. Re: Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition
            tkpippin Level 1

Ok, so I tried it with RAM Preview, same thing happening.  Emptied my cache, now none of the puppet effects are working.  It shows movement in the timeline coordinates, but won't show in the preview.  However, I'm still getting the nasty line.  There are no other animations on the layer, but the layer is a 3D layer and there is movement from the panning and zooming from the first frame to the frame where the puppet distortion begins.  I'm thinking I will have to create the puppet distortion in a separate composition, then render and import it into the second composition if I can figure out how to make that work.

I appreciate your reply and suggestions.  I've only used the puppet tool once in the past but it wasn't on a 3D layer so I guess that made the difference.

...or I could take off the camera and null object layers, create the puppet distortion, render as .mov and import the whole .mov, then add the camera and null object layer..??

• 3. Re: Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition

Just put your puppet pin layer in a new comp, edit the puppet pin movements, then nest that comp in a new comp and make the comp 3D and do not collapse transformations.

If you are moving in on your puppet pin character then you should make the comp bigger than the master comp so you can scale it up or push the camera in without causing pixelization. IOW, if your main comp is 1080 X 1920 and you want to move in to see 1/4 of your puppet pin character then your puppet pin comp should be 2040 X 3849 and the character should fill up that comp.

• 4. Re: Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition
                austinsaylor

mesh.png

mesh_artifact.png

I'm having a similar problem. I have an illustrator file that I have a position and rotation change (to have the hand fly in), then the puppet tool mesh to have the pointer finger move to dial the numbers on the phone. I have tried non-pre-comped and pre-comped. Both produce the same results. In the first picture you can see that the mesh doesn't change position/rotation with the pre-comp. They seem to stay where I originally placed them. And where the hand flies in and moves over the mesh, that artifact is generated. I have tried expanding the mesh and making the pre-comp layer 3d.

It's rather frustrating, and I haven't found anybody solving this problem out here on the interwebs.

***OK OK. The only way I figured out to fix this was to make the illustrated hand the exact size I need it in Illustrator. Then I just don't make the layer "continuously rasterized".

• 5. Re: Mesh line artifact movement upon zooming in and zooming out of composition

Precompose your layer before applying Puppet Pin. You should always pre-compose layers that use Puppet pin. Layers that use Puppet Pin cannot have any other animation applied and cannot be scaled or rotated. If you need to add additional animation to a layer that contains Puppet Pin then you MUST pre-compose that layer and apply the animation to the pre-comp.