6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 2:44 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...

MyCatsNamedRover Level 1

I'm doing a top 10 type video, & I downloaded this lower third template & I had never used AE before; I figured out how to duplicate it multiple times through the video where appropriate... but when I modify the text on one template it does the same thing to all of them. How do I make them all separate?

• 1. Re: Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you duplicate a composition that's nested inside another, you are still referencing the same composition.

You have to duplicate it in the project panel.

However, if that composition is relying on other compositions, those may need to be duplicated and replaced too.

After Effects is not a program you can just jump into. You will avoid a lot of frustration if you go through this first.

• 2. Re: Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Show us a flow chart of your comp and the comp and timeline window and we can point you to the comp that needs to be duplicated in the Project Panel. Without this anything said would be a guess.

You can do this yourself if you have an understanding of nested comps and can follow the flow chart to the comp that is used to change the text. It's not hard if you understand AE. If you don't have a handle on the basics it's nearly impossible.

• 4. Re: Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok, think about what you have done to change the text for moment. You drilled down to a pre-comp or nested comp that contains a text layer. This makes perfect sense. Unfortunately that text pre-comp is also nested in a pre-comp. This means you need to find each of these pre-comps in your project panel and duplicate them there, open the duplicates and then change the text in the duplicates, then replace the original nested comps in the main comp.

I have another observation on your workflow. You've put a bunch of shots and transitions in a single comp which, in effect, tells me that you are using AE as a NLE (editing app). What I would have done is to put every one of your shots that you want to add titles to in a separate comp to simplify each comp. I'd then edit them in a NLE....

The other way I would do this project is to make a comp that is just the needed titles, one comp for each tltle overlay, render the titles with alpha channels, then bring the titles and the original footage into a NLE to edit and add titles.

Building extremely complex compositions with multiple shots in a single comp is usually not a very good idea, even for folks like me that have been doing AE for 20 years. AE is perfect at making shots, lousy at editing sequences so always, and I mean always, try to figure out how you can simplify your project to it's basic elements and build a comp on that. I've had 5 second animations with over a hundred layers, but I've never put 10 or 20 video clips in AE in a single comp and tried to create a sequence.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...
                MyCatsNamedRover Level 1

"I have another observation on your workflow. You've put a bunch of shots and transitions in a single comp which, in effect, tells me that you are using AE as a NLE (editing app). What I would have done is to put every one of your shots that you want to add titles to in a separate comp to simplify each comp. I'd then edit them in a NLE....

The other way I would do this project is to make a comp that is just the needed titles, one comp for each tltle overlay, render the titles with alpha channels, then bring the titles and the original footage into a NLE to edit and add titles."

Just last night after I replied here, I thought of trying a strategy simular to that which you stated in the bold... Yeah, I've been using other (more primitive) video editing software for years... Looked in to using AE because I needed something new in my videos, & bought this $4000 computer with AE pre-loaded months ago & haven't used it & didn't want to learn the whole program right away just what I thought were simple things to ONE video... Looks like I'm going need to take some extensive courses on AE just to get the basics of it. Thank you for you assistance Sir!

• 6. Re: Problem with lower third template & modifying the text...
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Looks like I'm going need to take some extensive courses on AE just to get the basics of it.

Start with the resources that Szalam pointed you to already:

http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

1 person found this helpful