15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 8:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD

JesBo Level 1

Hi,

I'm a little confused about the project settings. I try to burn a DVD of 3 mpg-files. Here is a screenshot of the file info's, also one of the project settings:

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-25 um 21.14.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-25 um 21.13.27.png

According to the file information, I think the settings are correct, though the timeline shows an orange bar.

All files have the same informations.

When I go to finish the project to burn it on a DVD (output setting is PAL_Dolby DVD) it takes at least 14 hours, I don't think this is normal.

My system is a Macbook Pro, OS 10.9.1, 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM.

Any ideas what is wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Jessie

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has several SHARING links that may help

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

When you say that the Timeline shows an orange bar, to what orange bar are you referring? Is that an orange line that you see above the Timeline or the orange line (rubberband) that runs horizontally across the inside the clip.

orange.jpg

Also, what is the file extension of the MPEG2 file whose properties you show in your first screen shot?

What is the speed of your burner and what is the speed reading of the DVD disc that you are using for the burn to disc?

How complex is your Timeline content?

When you have your DVD disc in the burner tray and you are in the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc area, what are the Burn

Dialog Quality Area's values for Space Required and Bitrate?

Also, how are your Scratch Disc configured? How much free space at location to which they are directed?

Let us start here.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...What specific project preset are you using for this project

a. PAL DV Standard

or

b. PAL Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder Standard

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
              JesBo Level 1

John T. Smith,

thank you for the links. I read a lot to find out on my own, but I couldn't find the right things to solve my problem.

ATR,

thanks so much once more for your help!

My timeline shows exactly like your screenshot, means I have the orange render indicator as well as the video and audio rubberbands.

The extension of the 3 files is mpg.

The speed of my burner is 8x. But I do not burn directly on a DVD, I chose to save in a folder (4,7 GB).

The timeline content is 3 mpg-files, every file is about 1 GB, just faded in and out, no other effects.

I will tell about the area values and bitrates later today when I'm at home.

What do you mean with "Also, how are your Scratch Disc configured? How much free space at location to which they are directed?". Sorry, I don't understand this.

Again thanks,

Jessie

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Thanks for the follow up details.

From what you wrote, you say that your burn to PAL Dolby DVD is taking 14 hours. In your latest post, you wrote

But I do not burn directly on a DVD, I chose to save in a folder (4,7 GB)

So, I need to confirm with you what is taking the 14 hours

• the Premiere Elements Mac burn to Folder (4.7 GB)
                • the burn of the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved Premiere Elements folder, using 3rd party software...if so what is the 3rd party software

That information plus the burn dialog Quality area Space Required and Bitrate information may give us good troubleshooting direction.

As for

What do you mean with "Also, how are your Scratch Disc configured? How much free space at location to which they are directed?"

.Under Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, you will see several categories. It is important that each is directed to a hard drive save location where there is enough free space to accept them. Note the path to them as well as how much free space is at that location (see right of the path of each).

Quick references on Scratch Disks according to Adobe

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS887BC37E-7FDA-42c7-A513-FA3515F267E7. html

Thanks for the follow ups.

We will be watching for further news.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                  JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

sorry for the confusion. It takes 14 hours (more or less) to burn the project to folder.

I made a screenshot of the scratch disk informations. I also made two from the burn dialog, maybe that helps.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-26 um 19.32.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-26 um 19.35.09.png

Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-26 um 19.35.31.png

I also figured out another mystery. Premiere crashes when I save the project before I added one of my self made menu templates (I only use a main menue theme, no scene menues, and I've added main menue markers, no scene menue markers). So I tried if maybe this is my problem and used a menue from Premiere. But the result is the same, it takes about 7 minutes to move the progress bar to 1 % when burning the project to a folder.

But I'm not ready to give up yet, LOL

Thanks,

Jessie

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Thanks for the screenshots.

What caught my attention is the low amount of free hard drive space (51.4 GB) that you have at the location of the Scratch Disks, especially the Encoding category. Where is this location - Local Disc C Documents?

Do you have another drive with more free hard drive space, like 500 GB to 1 TB (931 GB) to which you could direct these Scratch Files? Any USB external hard drive with capacity 500 GB or greater?

Can you clean your Local Disc C to obtain more free hard drive space?

All of the above is not good, especially in view of your large project.

I do not see you taking an advantage with the "Fit Content to Available Space" with no check mark. Either way, those bitrate levels are going to make a major quality hit on the end product. Your 1.69 Mbps bitrate cannot get any lower. And, in another aspect, your space required is at disc capacity 4.38 GB.

My take on all this points to two issues:

1. Disc capacity

2. Level of free hard drive space at the Scratch Disks locations.

1. Might be corrected by going to the DVD double layer single sided disc

2. Might be corrected by freeing up space at location to which Scratch Disks are directed and/or get

a supplemental drive for this kind of storage.

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                      JesBo Level 1

ATR,

I have no idea why Pr Elements shows the free hard drive space with 51,4 GB. Actually there is 160 GB free space on my hard drive, and there is only one hard drive internal.

So, your specific question about the scratch disk locations made me start to think about that. I created an extra folder for all my projects, and in this folder I created another folder for the one project I'm working with. (I read about that that it would be easier to clear out all the files after a project is finished.)

I also discovered another thing that caught my attention. When I imported the 3rd of my files I realized that this last file didn't have the orange render indicator bar, and I have no idea why not, the file informations are the same.

So, what I did:

• I deleted the folder I created to save my projects. I also deleted the folder "Adobe" which the program created on its own in my Documents Folder (cache files).
                      • I renamed the folder where my original files are saved in
                      • I renamed the files (only the name, not the extensions)

Then I started a new project and imported my 3 files. I didn't change the scratch disk folders, I used the default ones made by Pr Elements. I also saved my project to this default folder.

The 3 files were re-indexed? and there was no orange render bar. I added my self made menue template and went to the DVD burn dialog, only changed "Save to folder 4,7 GB" and hit the burn button... and the progress bar went pretty fast, it needed about 35 minutes to burn the project to the folder.

So, I don't know what exactly the problem was respectively what did solve the problem. The scratch disk folders or the re-naming of files? At least it works now

The only thing that's left now is why I'm not able to save a project when I added one of my self created menue templates...

Thanks again so very much!

Jessie

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jessie,

The only thing that's left now is why I'm not able to save a project when I added one of my self created menue templates...

First, thank you for sharing the good news about the Project, and your success.

Second, can you tell us all about that custom Menu Template - the size, where it's located, any additional files, like a PNG thumbnail for display in the Gallery, and anything else about the Menu?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Great news with your troubleshooting. Great job.

Let us now look at what you wrote

The only thing that's left now is why I'm not able to save a project when I added one of my self created menue template

from the point of view of

a. how you created the menu template

and

b. where you placed it

Creation of the menus...

a. What did you put in the theme folder...just the main menu .psd file and scene menu.psd file or more? What were the exact names that you gave the main menu .psd file and scene menu .psd file? What program did you use to create your menus? We will get to the Layer Set structure in the Layers Palette of the .psd file(s) next if necessary.

b. I do not have a Mac computer so I cannot talk in terms of .psd file location in Mac. I will now talk in terms of Windows and hope that you can translate the following into the right Mac location for the theme files (assumed also .psd type).

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

DVD Templates

Common

and, in the Common Folder, create a new folder named My Specials. In the My Specials Folder create a new folder named My XXX Theme. Inside the XXX Theme Folder goes the XXX .psd files and other theme assets.

In Windows, the menu theme (Slideshow/Pan and Zoom) that comes with the program is found in the above location. The menus that require Content download are in the Windows Program Data path that leads to the Online Folder. I do not want you to use that latter path counterpart in your Mac.

But let me ask this basic questions...

a. After you have placed the menu that you created in the computer, when you open Premiere Elements 12, do you see that menu in Movie Menu Display of menu choices

b. If so, can you click on its choice, hit Continue, and have the theme appear in the Movie Menu customization area of the opened project

c. If so, can you Preview the customized or uncustomized menu there and does it look good.

d. When all is done, how many main menu pages and how many scene selection pages do you have?

Let us start here, review the above, and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Additional focus may be computer resources, placement of Timeline markers, and spacing between Timeline markers, as well as fine details of Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the .psd file, whatever else you may be placing in the Theme Folder of the menu that you made yourself.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                            JesBo Level 1

Thank you Hunt and ATR,

I'm very glad that it works now

About the menue templates, I created it by copying the "Elegant" Wedding menue. I used the scene menue and made it the main menue because I don't need the scene menue. I replaced the background picture with my customized picture and deleted a few layers (bars, a flower, the arrows)

The size is 720 x 576, I didn't change that. I saved it as "v1_pal_s_mm.psd" and also as "v1_pal_w_mm.psd" (because I didn't know which one would be needed). I also made thumbnail pictures to be shown in the gallery, they are named "de_DE_v1_pal_s_mm_prv_mm.png" and "de_DE_v1_pal_w_mm_prv_mm.png".

The folder where these files are saved is:

Library

Application support

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

My Menues
                            V1

When I open the movie menue in Premiere I'm able to chose "My menues" as well as my V1 menue template, it also shows the thumbnails and I can chose them and continue. (I had to copy the "downloaded.txt" from another menue and pasted it in my V1 folder because Premiere Elements wanted to start a download)

It looks pretty good in the preview and - now that it works - on the final DVD.

There is only one menue page with 3 "scene" borders (don't know if that is the right word for it). I placed 3 main menue markers at the beginning of my 3 files in the timeline.

So everything actually works with the menue, I just can't save it, Premiere crashes at 46 % progress.

I assume maybe there's something I have to add to another location or maybe I deleted something in the .psd file what is needed, I have no idea.

And sorry for the delay, I wasn't on yesterday.

Thanks again for all your help, you really do a fantastic job!

Jessie

PS: I forgot to mention that I edited the original Elegant theme with Photoshop, unfortunately I don't know what version exactly.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

JesBo

This is what I would like you to look at.

I am not comfortable placing edited or created from scratch menus in the Online Folder.

I prefer to place them in the location where the Slideshows Folder exists. I pointed out the Windows version of that location in post 9. This route does not involve adding a download.txt to the mix. And, I find is a more stable location for the user created or .psd customized menus.

You have said that all you did was to switch the name of the main menu with that of the scene menu and vice versa. After you did that, did you keep both the .psds (main menu and scene menu, each renamed) in one folder that you placed in the system? Or did you just put the main menu .psd in that folder that went into the file system? Please keep both main menu and scene menu renamed in the folder that you place in the system.

Please review and then let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                                JesBo Level 1

ATR,

I just looked through my whole system, but the only folder named "DVD Templates" is placed in the "Online" folder. So I copied the main menue .psd, renamed it in scene menue.psd and placed it back in my folder and I guess that was it. I could save the project without a crash.

One last question: I'm not very good with Photoshop, and I tried to edit the Elegant menue to have 4 scenes. In the scene menue.psd I duplicated the scene 3 layer and renamed all related things to scene 4, but it doesn't work, it still shows scene 3. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Jessie

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

If you have not already, please give my following blog post a look regarding adding menu buttons (the thumbnail type and text type).

The tricky part about duplicating existing Layer Sets in the Layers Palette of the main menu or scene menu .psd in order to get extra buttons is an error that occurs in the subLayer set during the copying process. The sub Layer set name should be (^^), but it gets changed to (^). So, you need to open the major Layer Set copy to change (^) back to (^^).

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-adding-movie-thumbnails-to-disc-main.html

(Please see ISSUES)

What are you using for the .psd edit...Photoshop ? You need Photoshop CS or higher to get at the subLayer sets that need correction.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                                    JesBo Level 1

Hi ATR,

I had to run over to my friend since I don't have Photoshop.

And you're right, the (^) was the problem. I changed that to (^^) and it worked, though I couldn't see the changes in the .psd file. It still shows scene 4 as scene 3, but in Premiere Elements it works, I can work with 4 main menue buttons.

The version of Photoshop is CS2, Version 9.0.

Thanks very much for your help, your blog is really awesome!

Jessie

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12, Project settings to burn a DVD
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jessie

Thanks for the update and good news of success.

It used to be that I could use Photoshop Elements to edit those psd files. Then Photoshop Elements had the perk to open those major Layer Sets in the .psd's Layers Palette to get at the subLayer Sets with the (^) instead of (^^). But that perk mysteriously disappear in more recent times.

Since then there have been computer operating system changes, but I am still not sure if that is the reason for the current situation.

Continued success with your projects.

ATR