2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 2:34 AM by SteveG(AudioMasters) RSS

Grouping channels in Audition?

Rowen_Poole Community Member

Hi,

Ok, I seem to be looking for an answer to this question by asking the wrong questions. I am moving to a new setup and my studio and using Audition CC to record but I seem to be lacking the proper Audition terminology.....

What I want to do is take several tracks in a mix - say all the drum tracks - and assign them to a group where I can control that group via one fader in the mx. ie - so I can control the overall volume of a drum mix in the main mix without having to adjust the individual tracks in the mix itself. I am coming from using a Mackie D8B and assigning tracks to a group and using the group fader was very easy. 

My understanding of a mix group and what my current manuals on Audition tell me about groups in Audition seem to be rather vastly different.

Can anyone enlighten me on this process in Audition?

Thanks!

-Rowen

• 1. Re: Grouping channels in Audition?
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

You probably want to start using Bus tracks.  You create and label a new Bus track, then assign the outputs of your drum tracks to direct to the Bus. You still have control over the levels, automation, and effects of the original audio tracks feeding into the bus, but have additional control to mute, solo, or adjust the overall level of the Bus.  You may also add effects to a bus, which can be convenient if you wish to apply the same effect and parameters to several different tracks - the incoming signal is mixed, then passed through the effects chain in the Bus, before continuing to the master output.

• 2. Re: Grouping channels in Audition?
            SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

Rowen_Poole wrote:

My understanding of a mix group and what my current manuals on Audition tell me about groups in Audition seem to be rather vastly different.

That would probably be the 'manual' then - the process is essentially identical!

The only thing that Durin didn't mention was how you actually assign the channels. The easiest way, once you've set up the bus, is to go to the track output routing at the bottom of each mixer channel (where it normally says 'Master' and assign that particular channel to the bus there.