4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 5:31 AM by MW Design

InDesign CS6 colors to Corel Draw 12

kiski Level 1

I've designed a logo and stationery for a small business customer. The logo has 2 Pantone colours. The offset printed letterhead has a 7% tint for a graphic element (curved stripes) printed in Pantone #137 (orange) as a large watermark on the page.

I saved the vector graphic element separately as a 7% tint of #137. The files are a two colour EPS file and a PDF for my customer to import and bring into some of his documents. Which he did. He uses Corel Draw and prints on his office inkjet printer.

The final graphic element output has a different tone than the original #137 orange. The printed graphic is pinkish and different than his letterhead.

What's doing that?...

Is Corel Draw changing my file from a spot color EPS to a CMYK file?

I don't use Corel Draw and have no idea what suggestions to make to keep the Pantone orange true. Can I fix it on my end by saving or exporting the file differently, OR can my customer do something in Corel Draw?

Mac OSX10.6.8, InDesign CS6.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS6 colors to Corel Draw 12
          MW Design Level 4

If you have Illustrator, you could always open the EPS and make sure the Pantone survived. But as long as you didn't use the color manager and convert to cmyk, it should be fine.

CorelDraw 12 is 10 years old. While the Pantone probably does come in properly in both the EPS and the PDF, it has been way too long since version 12 that I cannot remember anything about its EPS with Pantone color importing. To really make sure that they are at least able to import the EPS and have the Pantone survive, walk them through looking at the object properties with one of the objects selected. It should show the Pantone name and or name with the tint value. If CD12 doesn't show the Pantone color name and you're certain the files as tendered have the Pantone in them, tell them it's time to upgrade their CorelDraw.

A CS6 EPS and PDF with yoru Pantone can hit into the current version of CorelDraw fine. The screen shot below is from CDX6 with a 7% tone of the 137 orange Pantone selected (I placed a light blue rectangle behind the imported EPS just to see it well enough, though).

capture-001199.png

As regards the printing. I seriously doubt the client's office inkjet can handle the conversion to get anywhere close of a match to the offset letterhead...because it uses real Pantone ink and the inkjet can't even do CMYK really well.

The best you could do is sit in the office mixing CMYK colors and print after print to even come close to matching the offset Pantone on their printer.

Mike

• 2. Re: InDesign CS6 colors to Corel Draw 12
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How is he getting the EPS into CD? CD can interpret the EPS and convert it

all to CD objects or it can leave it alone, pretty much like placing it into

an ID file.

BTW, the last thing I would even try doing is opening that file Illy. ID

created EPS files don't do well in that situation.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS6 colors to Corel Draw 12
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The logo has 2 Pantone colours. The offset printed letterhead has a 7% tint for a graphic element (curved stripes) printed in Pantone #137 (orange)

Composite printers can only simulate solid ink Pantone spot colors, so the simulation will depend on how the color is converted and color managed. In CS6 all Pantone solid colors are defined as Lab—the color space used for displaying or printing the spot color to composite printers. I doubt Corel does the same and then there's the variable of your client's printer's color management.

You could try and simplify the color management and export the logo as sRGB and see if Corel and the printer are happier without spot color definitions in the mix. You would set your Ink Manger and PDF Export>Output like this to get everything into profiled sRGB:

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 8.09.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 8.09.52 AM.png

• 4. Re: InDesign CS6 colors to Corel Draw 12
                MW Design Level 4

How is he getting the EPS into CD? CD can interpret the EPS and convert it

all to CD objects or it can leave it alone, pretty much like placing it into

an ID file

As Bob mentions, CD, upon importing an EPS will give two options. The default is to open the EPS as editable objects, just like AI. This is exactly what you want them to do. Do not that also like AI, the objects will be grouped.

I can gaurantee you that your client does not want to choose the second option in CD, which is to "Place as Encapsulated Postscript." If they do, the entire page size that you had in ID will come in, which is likely larger than the art itself. This same thing happens when placing the EPS in ID.

BTW, the last thing I would even try doing is opening that file Illy. ID

created EPS files don't do well in that situation.

BTW, the last thing I would want to do is to not check the EPS with the tools I have.

capture-001200.png

And for the PDF, you should be using Acrobat. Which will simply confirm that the Pantones are present at whatever tinit value you specify (which they will be).

Take care, Mike