18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 11:42 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Adding and Resizing Images to a Template

bmwaters21

Hello,

I have a 6x6 album template I downloaded from WHCC. I opened it in PS. I opened an image, select all, copy, and pasted it into the template. I can move the image, but I cannot make it bigger or smaller. please help...Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Have you tried cmd-T (Edit > Free Transform)?

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

• 2. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Also you may want to consider placing the images as Smart Objects.

• 3. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
              bmwaters21 Level 1

Thank you this works, but is there a way to lock in the W&H proportions, so they don't end up looking distorted?

• 4. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                Noel Carboni Level 8

Be mindful of the pixel counts.

I might suggest resizing the image FIRST, before copying, using the Detail Preserving upsampling algorithm provided by Photoshop CC, as you'll get a sharper looking result than with Free Transform.

Christoph, I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm not thinking as clearly as I can...  Is there a way to integrate the use of a Smart Object with the Detail Preserving upsampling?  That would seem to be desirable.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

bmwaters21 wrote:

Thank you this works, but is there a way to lock in the W&H proportions, so they don't end up looking distorted?

If you use Free Transform, hold down the shift key while dragging a corner, that will lock the proportions.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Christoph, I haven't had my coffee yet so I'm not thinking as clearly as I can...  Is there a way to integrate the use of a Smart Object with the Detail Preserving upsampling?  That would seem to be desirable.

As far as I can tell that’s not an option at current unfortunately.

• 7. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have no idea as to what a  WHCC template look like. However it is very easy to create 6x6 templates PSD files for Photo book type pages. Then use Photoshop automation to populate these templates using Photoshop scripts.  Where image will be automatically placed, resized to fit. a location and moved to that location.  Script can be interactive where you select each image and can tweak placement or, a script can automatically populate images and leave layered document open in Photoshop for hand tweaking and a script can batch populate a template and save out populated PSD from the template file and your images.

Example a five image page automatically populate and left open in Photoshop..

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Populate911_720p.mp4

• 8. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template

Noel Carboni wrote:

It may me be possible by setting your Photoshop interpolation preference to that.  But remember if the Image file does not have the same resolution as the template file. That Place and Paste both will resample the image being Placed in or pasted in; to the templates dpi resolution. That is how Photoshop works to preserve images sizes.  Additionally placed in images resampled or not may also have its associated transform altered to scaled the placed in image to fit within the templates canvas size. Scaling depends on your Photoshop Preference setting regarding placed images.

• 9. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                          bmwaters21 Level 1

Amazing thank you thank you

• 10. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                            bmwaters21 Level 1

This is awesome. I will have to try this when I get home...

• 11. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

»Preserve Detail« is not an option in Photoshop > Preferences > General > Image Interpolation for me at least.

• 12. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template

You will not be able to try it. Unless you first download my Photoshop Photo Collage Toolkit and then you may also have to massage your templates to work with my scripts.  Normall all that usually means is adding alpha channels to map image location. The names of the alpha channels need to be "Image 1, Image 2, ..., Image n" 

There are four simple template rules the need to be followed:

The Four Rules:

1. Size the photo collage templates for the print size you want - width, height and print DPI resolution.
                                2. Photo collage templates must have a Photoshop background layer. The contents of this layer can be anything.
                                3. Photo collage templates must have alpha channels named "Image 1", "Image 2", ... "Image n".
                                4. Photo collage templates layers above the background layers must provide transparent areas to let the images that will be placed below them show through.

Also note Images location and image to be populated into the should have matching orientations. Landscape to landscape portrait to portrait.  The scripts will still work if the orientations don't match. However the virtual center crop composition will not be that good.

Note: Look at how Landscape images are fitted to Portrait cutouts and how Portrait Images are fitted to Landscape cutouts. For best results when you batch populate Photo Collage Templates Images and Cutout should have the same orientation.

[ Batch Collage 1 ][ Batch Collage 2 ]
                                • 13. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

»Preserve Detail« is not an option in Photoshop > Preferences > General > Image Interpolation for me at least.

If that is the case I don't think its possible to script it because a user can always change the smart object layers transform. Which will then use the default interpolation method.

I just always set bicubic as my preference for adobe "Bicubic Aromatic" is not content aware it just size aware.  "Bicubic Automatic" is a very poor choice for a default interpolation method.

• 14. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Coffee consumed...  Maybe it could be done with a Smart Object inside a Smart Object, the inner of which is resized manually (to, say, 200% or higher) using the Detail Preserving upsampling method.  Then it could be transformed with a default Bicubic resampling method to be smaller for the purpose of fitting it to something.  That yields a nice, clean appearance.

I believe I need to submit "Please Finish the full Integration of the Detail-Preserving Upsampling Method" as a feature request.

-Noel

• 15. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I believe I need to submit "Please Finish the full Integration of the Detail-Preserving Upsampling Method" as a feature request.

I think Mr.Cox once remarked that »Preserve Detail« is more like a Filter than an interpolation algorithm, so while it would seem desireable indeed I wonder about the probability.

• 16. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template

Perhaps what you want is an interpolation method that is content aware and just does the resampling the best possible way that can be done for the content....

• 17. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                                          Noel Carboni Level 8

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

I think Mr.Cox once remarked that »Preserve Detail« is more like a Filter than an interpolation algorithm, so while it would seem desireable indeed I wonder about the probability.

Well, it takes a bit more time because it apparently uses sophisticated spline algorithms - though that makes it a good candidate for porting to the GPU, much like Smart Sharpen.

But I notice that when you Free Transform something it uses a fast "Nearest Neighbor" algorithm anyway while doing the actual resizing on the display, then applies the more sophisticated (e.g., Bicubic) resampling after you confirm the transform.  I don't see a fundamental usability concern then, except that the user might have to wait a little longer upon committing the transform (and maybe not even that if it's done in the GPU).

Perhaps because of the other things one can do with a Transform (such as distortions or warps) the algorithm would get a lot trickier.

This smells to me a lot like the things we've seen before, such as making some filters capable of operating on deep data (16 bits/channel) then waiting a longgg time before finishing the job of updating the rest of them.  My expectation is to be able to use the enhanced resampling at least wherever rectangular resampling occurs.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                                            Noel Carboni Level 8

JJMack wrote:

Perhaps what you want is an interpolation method that is content aware and just does the resampling the best possible way that can be done for the content....

The trouble with that thinking is that it makes the assumption that there IS a "best possible way".

This is art.  The term "best" doesn't apply.

That said, *I* would most certainly configure the "Preserve Details" resampling (which I believe just does Bicubic for downsampling) as the default, then vary from that only when needed.

-Noel

• 19. Re: Adding and Resizing Images to a Template
                                              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Seems like valid obseravtions, Noel.

This smells to me a lot like the things we've seen before, such as making some filters capable of operating on deep data (16 bits/channel) then waiting a longgg time before finishing the job of updating the rest of them. 

And look at the interface of some of the »old« Filters …